Firefox official releases

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Makoto

#121 Post by Makoto »

Hm? Do you have the option under the View menu:
View > Toolbars > Tabs on Top

(I'm running 15.0.1, too, and it's there. :) )

What is the size of your /root/.mozilla/firefox directory? Have you tried emptying the cache?
Also, you might try using an extension to attempt to keep the places database down to more tolerable levels (one hopes), like Vacuum Places Improved.

Edit: Oops, almost forgot. Since you mentioned you reset Firefox, you might also go into the Preferences, Security tab, and check on the "Block reported..." settings. Those tend to create a large (local) listing of blacklisted sites, and can grow to be fairly larger, too. (Though I don't remember what the filenames are, if you want to delete them manually, or whether or not they're removed if you uncheck those two "Block reported..." settings. :oops: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

sakamoto

#122 Post by sakamoto »

Tman wrote:
sakamoto wrote:I am getting the Forbidden message?
Sorry about that. It is now fixed. I didn't realize that the pet2sfs script I was using, was doing that. I guess I should fix that script now.
Thanks Tman - confirmed working :D

Tman

#123 Post by Tman »

I have uploaded pets and sfs files for Firefox-16.0.1.
I have also moved the download location and grouped all of my generic pets into 1 single folder.
As usual, the download link is on the first post of this thread.

The pets now start with lowercase letters and the sfs files start with uppercase.

8-bit

#124 Post by 8-bit »

IN making new PET packages for Firefox 16, are they the ones that include the security fix discovered after that upgrade was released?
This link http://sociable.co/web/mozilla-urges-us ... law-found/ explains it further.

I only ask because the article stated that a great number of downloads had been made before the security issue was identified and the upgrade of Firefox 16 patched.

Tman

#125 Post by Tman »

Hi 8-bit,

Yes, version 16.0.1 fixes that security issue. Here are the release notes

Also, I have re-uploaded the SFS for Firefox-16.0.1
If you downloaded the first SFS and it did not ask you if you wanted to make Firefox the default browser, etc.. on the first run, then that one is defective... sorry for the inconvienence.

vicmz

#126 Post by vicmz »

Hi Tman
Please tell everyone to download the langpacks for latest Firefox from here and the locale switcher extension from here. I have less time since I changed job, and I can't maintain those downloads at the same pace of the releases. The given links update automatically when a new version of Firefox is released.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Tman

#127 Post by Tman »

vicmz wrote:Hi Tman
Please tell everyone to download the langpacks for latest Firefox from here and the locale switcher extension from here. I have less time since I changed job, and I can't maintain those downloads at the same pace of the releases. The given links update automatically when a new version of Firefox is released.
Sure vicmz, but I have never installed any language packs for Firefox, so before I post the links on the first post of this thread, please explain where to install these language pack files.. thanks in advance.

I've noticed that Firefox has released version 16.0.2 ... I am feeling a bit lazy today, but I will make updated pet and sfs soon.

vicmz

#128 Post by vicmz »

Tman wrote:
vicmz wrote:Hi Tman
Sure vicmz, but I have never installed any language packs for Firefox, so before I post the links on the first post of this thread, please explain where to install these language pack files.. thanks in advance.

I've noticed that Firefox has released version 16.0.2 ... I am feeling a bit lazy today, but I will make updated pet and sfs soon.
Both the language packs and the locale_switcher are installed as extensions, something that users can do themselves. Tell them to install the extensions and then activate the desired language by going to Tools > Languages and selecting the language. As you can see in the attached images, there is no need for you to include this feature built in into your PET or SFS. But if you feel like doing it, you can simply include the locale_switcher and the langpacks for the six languages that are more popular in the murga-linux community: Spanish (es-ES), French (fr), German (de), Russian (ru), Chinese (zh-CN, zh-TW, where CN is simplified and TW is traditional), and Japanese (ja).
Attachments
capture32717.png
(45.85 KiB) Downloaded 1797 times
capture31798.png
(110.35 KiB) Downloaded 1816 times
capture856.png
(177.16 KiB) Downloaded 1777 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Tman

#129 Post by Tman »

Thanks, vicmz. I have placed the needed links on the first post of this thread.

Firefox-16.0.2 pet and sfs have been uploaded. I am growing weary of Firefox's new release cycle..it makes previous versions become out-of-date way too fast.
I would ditch Firefox completely for Opera, if Opera had something similar to the "Downthemall" download accelerator app (available for Firefox), which I use almost every day, when I'm on the Internet.

vicmz

#130 Post by vicmz »

How about telling how do you compile Firefox and inviting other users to help? I think at least a couple of users would join.

Tman

#131 Post by Tman »

vicmz wrote:How about telling how do you compile Firefox and inviting other users to help? I think at least a couple of users would join.
There is a thread on how to compile Firefox -> here

But these official releases were not compiled by me. I download the pre-compiled compressed file from Mozilla's website -> here. I did however make custom scripts for it, and placed the main files into unique folder names, in order to get Firefox to work the way I want it to. It doesn't really take me that long, since I use older pets as a template, but since I am doing other things, and not just making pets for firefox, it makes me feel like every time I blink, there's a new firefox release. Well, okay... I'm exaggerating, but I think you get the picture.

vicmz

#132 Post by vicmz »

Tman wrote:it makes me feel like every time I blink, there's a new firefox release. Well, okay... I'm exaggerating, but I think you get the picture.
Take it easy, simply tell everyone you aren't able to compile every single update of Firefox. Behind each user name there is a person who needs to work, eat and sleep. Everyone is aware of the Firefox cycle, many people just use certain versions until a major upgrade is released. Even for less frequent updates it is unrealistic to expect one user to package all new releases. You know, less pressure, more fun. :D

666philb

#133 Post by 666philb »

hi tman,

the new script that you are using to start firefox is problematic. for instance if i click a link in pidgin or other program, instead of opening a tab in an already open firefox, the open firefox is killed, and a new instance started!! this can cause loss of pages, emails, downloads in progress etc.

it also makes having more than one instance of firefox open impossible.

thanks for the .pets though :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Tman

#134 Post by Tman »

666philb wrote:hi tman,

the new script that you are using to start firefox is problematic. for instance if i click a link in pidgin or other program, instead of opening a tab in an already open firefox, the open firefox is killed, and a new instance started!! this can cause loss of pages, emails, downloads in progress etc.

it also makes having more than one instance of firefox open impossible.

thanks for the .pets though :)
Thanks for the feedback. By default, you can run multiple instances of Firefox when launching it from the main menu. I have made /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to only allow one instance of Firefox. It contains the following code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
yaf-splash -bg red -fg white -timeout 2 -text "loading.." &
killall firefox 2>/dev/null
sleep 0.3
exec firefox "$@"
If you want defaultbrowser to allow for more than one instance of firefox, remove the portion that says "killall firefox 2>/dev/null"
However, if Firefox crashes, you will may need to enter killall firefox from the terminal to get it running again.

peebee

#135 Post by peebee »

Hi Tman

Thanks for these pets and sfs's

Some feedback from trying the pet on LxPup 12.12 which is based on Pemasu's Upup-Precise.....but uses LXDE and PCManFM instead of JWM and rox.

Had to change the category in the desktop file in /usr/share/applications to: WebBrowser
before I could get Firefox to show up in the menu.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Tman

#136 Post by Tman »

Thanks, Peebee.

I will add that category the next time I create a Firefox pet and sfs.

RetroTechGuy

#137 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Rockin' Tman!

Firefox recently "helped me" by pushing v.17 onto my system. That crunched many of my browser functions. So I uninstalled FF, and dropped in your .SFS version.

Not only does it work better, but it also cleared about 150MB from my save file (unbelievable how much crud FF accumulates).

Thanks man!

One note, it may need some instructions on how to link in the binary from the .SFS (I figured it out, but not likely something that a newbie would be able to -- unless I missed something in the instructions).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Tman

#138 Post by Tman »

RetroTechGuy,

You're very welcome. Regarding this part of your post:
RetroTechGuy wrote: One note, it may need some instructions on how to link in the binary from the .SFS
A symlink to the binary should be created when you load the sfs for the first time.
The name of the symlink is /usr/bin/firefox. Is this what you are referring to? If not, then please clarify.

RetroTechGuy

#139 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Tman wrote:RetroTechGuy,

You're very welcome. Regarding this part of your post:
RetroTechGuy wrote: One note, it may need some instructions on how to link in the binary from the .SFS
A symlink to the binary should be created when you load the sfs for the first time.
The name of the symlink is /usr/bin/firefox. Is this what you are referring to? If not, then please clarify.
Yes, this didn't happen in my case (and I did it manually).

Is it possible I fudged something by uninstalling my old FF (at the moment I don't recall if I had mounted the SFS already -- it is possible that I was seeing if the SFS would override the installed FF, so I could test it before committing to the SFS version -- but unmounting then remounting the SFS, as I did, ideally should have reset that)

BTW, you have no idea how much I enjoy seeing 3 green bars on my save file space (I was hanging in the yellow to red range, because of FF bloat).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Tman

#140 Post by Tman »

@RetroTechGuy

After you have mounted the SFS for the first time, there should be a file named /root/firefox-16.01.txt.
If you ever need to run the Firefox setup script again, just keep the Firefox.sfs mounted, then deleted the above mentioned .txt file, and launch Firefox from the menu.
Or instead of running firefox from the menu, you can alternatively type run_firefox from the terminal.

This will go through the process of recreating the symlinks, asking you to remove your old saved settings, etc.

Lately, I have been taking a breather from Puppy related projects, but sooner or later, I will return to where I had left off.