SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

#181 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote:
Tman wrote:please let me know if your wifi is okay on this one.
Yes, thanks, I still have connectivity through the wireless adapter. Exactly the same method as my last post.
Great, that is the important thing. This has been a good learning process for me. Now I have a better idea of how to install wifi drivers. Still haven't played with /etc/modules/firmware.deps; I will get around to that another time.
However I did notice that the internet icon in the wbar does not work. Had to use the menu to get Dillo started. I thought it worked ok through wbar on previous version but I will have to
Oops, sorry ... I was using Firefox-15.01.sfs but when I unloaded it to remaster, I forgot to put back Dillo as the defaultbrowser.

greengeek

#182 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tman, I'm still also using the previous TINT2 version on one laptop, and have been trialling this GTK youtube viewer/downloader with TINT2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
I grabbed the wary version and it is really good. Even allows you to choose the resolution you want to download (HD included if you've got the gpu power and screen real estate to handle it!)

I've only briefly tested it so far but I love it. Maybe it is worth adding in as a default, or at least in the PPM?

Tman

#183 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote:Hi Tman, I'm still also using the previous TINT2 version on one laptop, and have been trialling this GTK youtube viewer/downloader with TINT2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
I grabbed the wary version and it is really good. Even allows you to choose the resolution you want to download (HD included if you've got the gpu power and screen real estate to handle it!)

I've only briefly tested it so far but I love it. Maybe it is worth adding in as a default, or at least in the PPM?
Yes, I've tried it before and although it was nice, I still prefer the old method of running Youtube in the browser. I guess, I can put it in the bigger version of Solidpup, when I decide to make it final. (I'm trying to keep the Lite version under 100MB)

A light alternative to GTK-Youtube is FlashVideoReplacer plugin for Firefox, which will allow you to run the video in Mplayer or any other video player that you wish.

greengeek

#184 Post by greengeek »

Tman wrote: I still prefer the old method of running Youtube in the browser.
What option do you generally use when the PC is too slow to do it that way?

Tman

#185 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote: What option do you generally use when the PC is too slow to do it that way?
All my PC's are fast enough to handle Youtube with flashplayer, but I tried FlashVideoReplacer for kicks a while back, as well as one of Stu90's scripts ...not sure if the script still works.
Here ..I just found the link: Playflash and FlashVideoReplacer

Also, I am uploading Solidpup beta version 2.4 at the moment, it will be about 20 more minutes until it's completed uploading...

I should also mention some useful shortcut keys:

CTRL-ALT-DELETE = Pupshutdown
Windows-Key+ T = terminal
Winkey + R = Rox
Winkey + F = Pfind
Winkey + B = defaultbrowser
printscreen key = mtpaintscreenshot

NOTE: these were all set from Xbindkeys-config on a US-en keyboard.
You may need to change the settings for your particular keyboard.

EDIT: bummer ... videos don't work right :( .. I guess I will upload version 2.3.

peebee

b43 / wl Broadcom wifi AOK

#186 Post by peebee »

Tman wrote:.. I guess I will upload version 2.3.
Hi Tman

Just downloaded and booted up Beta 2.3

Wifi all works as expected on my HP550 laptop. :D

On initial boot, the Broadcom wl driver has been loaded as this is the preferred driver for my wifi hardware. Able to establish a working wpa connection using sns with no problems.

Blacklist wl and reboot and then the b43 driver is loaded with the correct firmware found and installed. Wifi connection established with sns.

All seems to be good on this laptop and this b43 variant which works with both wl and b43.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Tman

Re: b43 / wl Broadcom wifi AOK

#187 Post by Tman »

peebee wrote: Just downloaded and booted up Beta 2.3

Wifi all works as expected on my HP550 laptop. :D
That's excellent news. Thanks, Peebee for your efforts and support in help me get this issue resolved ... I couldn't have done it without you.
And Rerwin should be pleased.. his woof-fixes-delta-3f pet did the trick.

Regarding the video issue with Mplayer: The issue of missing codecs is persistent in this release as well. I will have to do some digging and see how far this goes back. I must find out whether the issue is from one of the new pets I added, or from me removing something ... like VLC.

I installed VLC and all the videos on my computer worked again. And then, Mplayer worked as well...I probably won't have much time to do more work on Solidpup, until near the end of the week but I will definately get to the bottom of this.
-
Last edited by Tman on Thu 20 Sep 2012, 14:20, edited 2 times in total.

Tman

Re: b43 / wl Broadcom wifi AOK

#188 Post by Tman »

Tman wrote: I must find out whether the issue is from one of the new pets I added, or from me removing something
The answer is ... neither. :shock: :roll: I was lucky to find the solution rather quickly. This issue must have been around since the early days of Solidpup! But it did not really have an effect, until VLC was taken out ... that's odd. I guess most people were not using the Lite version?

Attached is below is a fix for Mplayer. The problem was two-fold:
1) the exec option in the .desktop file should have been "mplayershell", instead of "exec mplayershell"

2) The defaultmediaplayer should be "mplayershell" instead of "gmplayer"
Attachments
Solidpup511_Mplayer_fix-0.2.pet
Install the pet an just left-click on a video file
This is the updated version that fixes the .mkv problem also
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Last edited by Tman on Tue 18 Sep 2012, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

zenn

#189 Post by zenn »

I'm currently using the old Tint2 version. I knew .mkv files couldn't play (Mplayer would be stuck with the CPU at 100% load) while .avi files could play fine. I assumed it must be a codec problem, though I didn't try with other video formats.

However, the Solidpup511_Mplayer_fix.pet doesn't seem to work after installing it. Does it only work on the Lite version?

Tman

#190 Post by Tman »

zenn wrote:I'm currently using the old Tint2 version. I knew .mkv files couldn't play (Mplayer would be stuck with the CPU at 100% load) while .avi files could play fine. I assumed it must be a codec problem, though I didn't try with other video formats.

However, the Solidpup511_Mplayer_fix.pet doesn't seem to work after installing it. Does it only work on the Lite version?
Hi zenn,

thanks for the report; I loaded the old Tint2 version to see what the problem was.
I clicked on one of my .mkv files and they wouldn't work. Then I clicked a .avi files and it played...
so I was wrong earlier, when I said the video problem was from way back ... no it was from the 511-B versions ...
I was too lazy to check and don't remember editing the mplayer .desktop file at all, but I must have cause they are different :oops:

I rebooted the old Tint2 version again without a save file. I left-clicked on the .mkv file ...nothing.
Then I right-click on it and chose Open With -> mplayer. This option worked for me.

Some digging led to the discovery that the .mkv files were linked to defaultvideoplayer, and most (or all) of the other video formats were linked to defaultmediaplayer.

This issue is persistent in the newer 511-B versions as well, I will reupload a modifed patch and replace
the old one with it ... (version 0.2 is the newer patch).

If your .mkv files still don't play, then it may be a codec problem as you stated.
There are variants of the .mkv codec, and my .mkv files are from over 4 years ago,
so they may be compressed with a different algorthim.
Last edited by Tman on Tue 18 Sep 2012, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

SolidPup 5.1.1-B (beta 2.3)

#191 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a flash drive.

SolidPup, version 511 on Tue 18 Sep 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation Device 0de1 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

[/root]# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
62596 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12519.169 FPS
62815 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12562.849 FPS
62795 frames in 5.0 seconds = 12558.947 FPS

This is a nice looking Puppy :)

I tested a couple of sfs files that I made in Racy and they work fine,
I also made a gogglesmm-0.12.6-solidpup.sfs in beta 2.3

If you're interested in the MC-4.8.1.5 and XFE-1.33 sfs files they are in the
Additional Software section of the forum under Filesystem, the
download link for Goggles is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-90d5abbc.html
Attachments
solidscrn.jpg
(90.49 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

Tman

Re: SolidPup 5.1.1-B (beta 2.3)

#192 Post by Tman »

Billtoo wrote: I tested a couple of sfs files that I made in Racy and they work fine,
I also made a gogglesmm-0.12.6-solidpup.sfs in beta 2.3

If you're interested in the MC-4.8.1.5 and XFE-1.33 sfs files they are in the
Additional Software section of the forum under Filesystem, the
download link for Goggles is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-90d5abbc.html
Surely, I can upload them to Smokey's server. Thanks Billtoo! :)

I will also be creating a separate Solidpup devx by updating the wary511 devx,
since I have updated some backend libraries ... but it won't be avialiable until I add some more libs and apps, and make the 511-B series final releases.

zenn

#193 Post by zenn »

Thanks for the quick reply Tman.

I just tested out your new patch for Mplayer on my .mkv files.

Without Solidpup511_Mplayer_fix-0.2.pet:
Left click: Nothing happens
Right click -> Open with -> Mplayer: Mplayer stuck, same issue

With Solidpup511_Mplayer_fix-0.2.pet:
Left click: Mplayer stuck, same issue
Right click -> Open with -> Mplayer: Mplayer stuck, same issue

Guess it must really be a codec problem.

Looking forward to try out the newer SolidPup when I've time. :)

Tman

#194 Post by Tman »

zenn,

Do you think you could upload one of you .mkv videos somewhere? I want to try and see if I can get it to play.

pemasu

#195 Post by pemasu »

Tman

#196 Post by Tman »

Thanks, Pemasu. I am downoloading it now...

Tman

#197 Post by Tman »

Solidpup511-B Lite beta-2.5 has now been uploaded.

It contains bug fixes and some updated apps.

For compiling, in this version, you will need to install the DEVX_ADDON pet,
as well as loading the wary_devx_511.sfs

The final release will have it's own devx, and you won't need a DEVX_ADDON pet for it.
Attachments
Solidpup511-B-beta-2.5.png
new desktop layout
(66.79 KiB) Downloaded 586 times

greengeek

#198 Post by greengeek »

Thx Tman. Will try this soon. I've just been trying to add SeaMonkey to the previous version and found that the PPM links for SM 2.0.7 and SM 2.0.11 were dead. Didn't try the others -went for FF instead.

Very much liking these recent versions. Sleek.

Tman

#199 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote: I've just been trying to add SeaMonkey to the previous version and found that the PPM links for SM 2.0.7 and SM 2.0.11 were dead. Didn't try the others -went for FF instead.

Very much liking these recent versions. Sleek.
I don't use the PPM to install apps ... I just go straight to the repositories and download them .. that way I get to save the copy on my hard-drive and not have to download it again.

For Seamonkey, try "Get Internet Apps" in the Internet menu.
If it takes unbearably long on a fast connection, cancel and try again.
(It just happened to me and that's what I did). I am posting from Seamonkey 2.12.1 (But I still favour Firefox)
It downloads and installs the latest en-us version of Seamonkey from the official site.

For a lite alternative to Dillo, there's also links2 (grapical) web browser

I will make a better startup page for links2 at a later time.

greengeek

#200 Post by greengeek »

Thx. Just looking at the screenshot in your last post - I see the "2.5" in the bottom left corner. Is that a replacement for the "puppy face" shortcut that you had at top left on the B2 release?

I was going to ask you how hard it might be to put a "desktop" shortcut at bottom left - If I have multiple windows open I find it a bit slow to have to minimise every window before I can see the wbar.