OpenTTD 1.2.1 - open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Play with your Puppy.
goingnuts

OpenTTD 1.2.1 - open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe

#1 Post by goingnuts »

OpenTTD is an open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features.

Tested in P412, P431 & pUPnGO2012

Update 20120911: Static build (uclibc/tinyX11) of newer version produced: Openttd 1.2.1 & Timidity 1.13.0 packages.
They might run on many versions of Puppy. Build only tested with Xvesa - if you are running Xorg it might not run.
Last edited by goingnuts on Tue 11 Sep 2012, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

battleshooter

#2 Post by battleshooter »

Good stuff Goingnuts, Edoc was looking for this awhile back, most likely others will appreciate it too, thanks!

Battleshooter
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

DrBob

#3 Post by DrBob »

Thanks for doing this, it's my son's favorite game, and now armed with a USB stick he can run it anywhere in the house :)

ndujoe1

OpenTTD

#4 Post by ndujoe1 »

For the bifocal challenged, open up the openttd.cfg with a text editor and change the medium size font to a larger number 18 - 20 :). The openttd.cfg is in the .openttd folder in the root directory.

goingnuts

#5 Post by goingnuts »

Update 20120911: Static build (uclibc/tinyX11) of newer version produced: Openttd 1.2.1 & Timidity 1.13.0 packages - view first post for download link.
They might run on many versions of Puppy. Build only tested with Xvesa - if you are running Xorg it might not run.
Links to other posts with this classic game:
un-named-one´s version
sc0ttman´s version

TheYoungOne

#6 Post by TheYoungOne »

This all looks very complicated.

I used to play this game in ubuntu but can't figure how to get it working on puppy.

I downloaded sources (xz/lzma archive) and extracted it to my /mnt/sda1/downloads

That's all i managed i have no idea what to do now.

Do you know of a simple way to get this running ?

I'm running slacko 5.3.3 frugal install btw.

I tried both links from 'goingnuts' but neither work and are old too.

Thank you

TheYoungOne

#7 Post by TheYoungOne »

Sorry for the spaces in between each line. It's an old habit of mine. I know it annoys some people for taking up too much space.

goingnuts

#8 Post by goingnuts »

TheYoungOne wrote:...I tried both links from 'goingnuts' but neither work and are old too....
:?: :!:
Try downloading this first: Download a static build of OPENTTD_1.2.1 build by using uclibc/tinyX11
Above link is valid and should work...if so then
Unpack the downloaded archive fx. by using below command:

Code: Select all

tar -xzf openttd-1.2.1_static.tar.gz
Now you have a directory named openttd-1.2.1_static.
Copy all the content to the root of your system fx. by using below command:

cp -af openttd-1.2.1_static/* /
OR create a pet-package by fx. using below command and install via normal packageinstaller:

dir2pet openttd-1.2.1_static
Restart X + start game from menu "Fun/OpenTTD" or run

openttd
Best to start the game first time from a command line as this will report any problems (if any)...

TheYoungOne

#9 Post by TheYoungOne »

I did everything you said and made the pet instead. Which i never used to know how to before so thanks for that. It's much simpler than i thought. Anyway everything installed fine no errors or anything. Restarted X, started openttd in the console and no errors then i guess the game opens but i just get a black screen and nothing. I had to hold the power button and reboot.

Keef

#10 Post by Keef »

Remember that this will only run under Xvesa, so when you exit X (control+alt+backspace), run xorgwizard, and select Xvesa. (That's covered all the "X's'" I think).

TheYoungOne

#11 Post by TheYoungOne »

My laptop really doesn't like it for some reason. I did what you said and chose 'vesa' i didn't have xvesa. then chose the resolution and i got half the screen working the rest was lines and colours. Anyway i tried to open openttd in console again but nothing black screen again. Maybe i should stop trying before i break something.

but thanks guys, least i know how to make a .pet now :)

goingnuts

#12 Post by goingnuts »

First of all: Thank you TheYoungOne for testing and reporting the results!
And Keef: You are right - it only works in Xvesa.
That has annoyed me but I did not find a way to make it work with Xorg - until now.
I have uploaded a new archive which in this end runs fine in Xorg. In my eager to reduce size I think I have restricted the connection methods in my tinyxlib too much - so after loosen up a bit it just runs fine.
@ TheYoungOne: If you have the patience to try one more time with a new download I would be glad to hear about your findings - anyway your reporting spotted a big drawback in my toolchain - and made me work on a solution for that - thanks!

Keef

#13 Post by Keef »

I meant 'vesa' not 'Xvesa' - my bad.

New version runs on the latest Akita with Xorg.
Tried the original on Wary 5.3, which ran under vesa. I'll try the new on Wary later and report back.

goingnuts

#14 Post by goingnuts »

Keef wrote:New version runs on the latest Akita with Xorg.
Tried the original on Wary 5.3, which ran under vesa. I'll try the new on Wary later and report back.
Thanks Keef for swift test & feedback - nice to know it works at your place too!

TheYoungOne

#15 Post by TheYoungOne »

I gave it another go with the new one. But it was much harder to figure out what i was doing and no doubt did something wrong. I downloaded the gzip archives. Followed the instruction as before with the new names. It wasn't a static file i guess this made the difference because the file was much different. Like the very first one a downloaded (not from your link). Anyway i followed it through to making the pet. It said i had to make a .desktop so i did best i could understand, installed the pet i made, restarted X, openttd in the console but it says command not found. Tbh i didn't expect it to work i guessed my way through.

I'm a bit slow as it is, but i will understand linux eventually :)

Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

No joy on Wary 5.3:

*** OpenTTD Crash Report ***

Crash at: Thu Sep 20 16:19:40 2012
In game date: 0-01-01 (0)

Crash reason:
 Signal:  Segmentation fault (11)

OpenTTD version:
 Version:    1.2.1 (0)
 NewGRF ver: 12185ef2
 Bits:       32
 Endian:     little
 Dedicated:  no
 Build date: Sep 19 2012 09:29:51

Stacktrace:
 Not supported.

Operating system:
 Name:     Linux
 Release:  2.6.32.59
 Version:  #2 Sun Apr 15 00:26:20 BST 2012
 Machine:  i686
 Compiler: GCC 3.4.3 "3.4.3"

Configuration:
 Blitter:      8bpp-optimized
 Graphics set: none (4294967295)
 Language:     /usr/local/share/games/openttd/lang/english.lng
 Music driver: none
 Music set:    none (4294967295)
 Network:      no
 Sound driver: none
 Sound set:    none (4294967295)
 Video driver: sdl

AI Configuration (local: 0):

Libraries:
 FreeType:   2.4.10
 LZMA:       5.0.4
 LZO:        2.06
 PNG:        1.2.46
 SDL:        1.2.15
 Zlib:       1.2.5

---- gamelog start ----
---- gamelog end ----

*** End of OpenTTD Crash Report ***

goingnuts

#17 Post by goingnuts »

TheYoungOne & Keef: Thanks for testing and reporting.
I am posting from Wary 5.3 now running Xorg with generic Nvidia driver.
openttd runs ok but if I remove content of
~/.openttd/content_download/baseset
(contain OpenGFX-0.4.4.tar which hold all the graphics) I get exactly same crash-report as you Keef...
From xorg.conf:

Driver      "nv" #card0driver
VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName   "NV44A [GeForce 6200]"

Keef

#18 Post by Keef »

Yes, that did it. The directory was empty, so it didn't copy over. Actually I know why. I'd tested the binary in its unpacked directory to see if it worked. Doing that generates the .openttd directory, but without the graphics file - I never checked the contents fully after that.

I tried it on Slacko and found it works ok.

TheYoungOne: I have been trying to attach a pet for you to try, but the forum is not having it at the moment for some reason.

goingnuts

#19 Post by goingnuts »

Nice...
The segfault when graphics not found is not default openttd behavior. The default is to offer download of graphics but I have not been able to get that working in the static build - and thats the main reason that the archive is shipped with graphics included.

TheYoungOne

#20 Post by TheYoungOne »

Hey Keef that's a shame. Do you reckon you could send it to my e-mail ? I can PM you it if it's alright with you.