Trying to install Puppy with 128 MB of RAM

Booting, installing, newbie
starhawk

#41 Post by starhawk »

Just installed Puppy 432v3. Promising... if I can strip a bunch of stuff out of it, it'll be more promising. It's a little big compared to the others, but it is, as I say, promising...

...BTW it solves the audio issue that Akita does not.

This is also the first time EVER that I've gotten grub (not grub4dos) to actually function. I've literally always gotten an error 15 before.

First time for everything, I suppose!

rjbrewer

#42 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:OK... in the name of science...

Puplite5 (Wary kernel version), gparted 0.4.5...
Invalid presumptions.
Never use a Puppy derivative as an example of a official
release.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

starhawk

#43 Post by starhawk »

Not what I meant ;)

Puplite5 had two versions, each with a different kernel. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember that the one I have has the same kernel as Wary 5.*.* (because it says so in the ISO filename).

EDIT: looked up Puplite5's thread. It's actually a Puppy 420 derivative.

puplite-5.0-k2.6.25.16.iso <- original puppy 420 kernel
puplite-5.0-k2.6.32.28.iso <- wary 511 kernel

As previously stated, the 2nd one (wary 511 kernel) is the one I have and use.

Sky Aisling

#44 Post by Sky Aisling »

Starhawk...please don't pop my head off for asking this question...
Why are you bothering with (as you write) a *craptop!* machine?
Attachments
worm1c.gif
(3.66 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

starhawk

#45 Post by starhawk »

Because it's fun ;)

My goal is to make this relic practical if it is at all possible, or determining by exhaustive experimentation that such is NOT possible.

"Practical" is defined as "light web, word processing, and email" i.e. 90%+ of what the average PC user with a MUCH better machine generally does. I doubt I'll be able to run YouTube videos at even base (240p) quality, but it should handle nearly everything else.

BTW, I'm something of a... well, the term is "retrocomputing enthusiast". I spent most of my last semester in college (3yrs ago) programming a Commodore64 in assembly code (basically binary electrical impulses represented as hexadecimal digits on the screen) -- I thought that was fun, too.

Cute *.gif, BTW.

Er... weren't you going to send me a PM at some point? ;)

Sky Aisling

#46 Post by Sky Aisling »

We could have used you in when I was programming in BASIC. But, that was 1968. :wink:
And, we had punched paper cards to work with...if we'd drop a deck, we'd take a coffee break then cry alot. lol!

saintless

#47 Post by saintless »

starhawk wrote:My goal is to make this relic practical if it is at all possible, or determining by exhaustive experimentation that such is NOT possible.

"Practical" is defined as "light web, word processing, and email" i.e. 90%+ of what the average PC user with a MUCH better machine generally does. I doubt I'll be able to run YouTube videos at even base (240p) quality, but it should handle nearly everything else.
Just a suggestion - light web browser more memory hungry but much better than Dillo you can use Firefox version 2.0.1 from here. Extract the archive and start firefox executable. It works like portable applications and all changes will be saved in its own folder. To watch youtube videos download and copy libflashplayer.so plugin in /firefox/plugins
I use it myself on desktop with 128Mb RAM + SWAP file. Youtube front page will give you an warning it does not support your web browser but just ignore it and continue. You will be able to play some youtube videos nicely but most of them will load slow.

Cheers

Dewbie

#48 Post by Dewbie »

saintless wrote:
Youtube front page will give you an warning it does not support your web browser
Here's a nice little workaround for that.