How to install to hdd, boot from CD? (Solved with Wakepup2)

Booting, installing, newbie
Runemaster

How to install to hdd, boot from CD? (Solved with Wakepup2)

#1 Post by Runemaster »

1: I want something similiar to WakePup, but designed for IDE internal hard drives, instead of usb or cds. Is there anything out there that I could use to do this. I have puppy on a 2gb partition on my hd, but I only want it to boot when I call it out via cd or usb drive. I have WinXP on my main partition which is the one set to boot at startup, if there is something out there that can call out puppy 'only' when i want to. Lol sry i'm being very redundant but everyone seems to be misunderstanding me about this....

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Booting

#2 Post by Flash »

Runemaster wrote:1: I want something similiar to WakePup, but designed for IDE internal hard drives, instead of usb or cds. Is there anything out there that I could use to do this. I have puppy on a 2gb partition on my hd, but I only want it to boot when I call it out via cd or usb drive. I have WinXP on my main partition which is the one set to boot at startup, if there is something out there that can call out puppy 'only' when i want to. Lol sry i'm being very redundant but everyone seems to be misunderstanding me about this....
Sounds to me like you only need to install GRUB to your MBR and configure it to boot Windows by default if Puppy isn't chosen from the boot menu. If you really want to hide the fact that Puppy is on the computer, you could go whole hog and run Puppy from multisession CD or DVD. Then it really wouldn't be on the computer at all. Who knows, it may be possible to put GRUB on a bootable CD. Or if the computer has a floppy drive, there is a boot floppy for Puppy that may do what you want.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

http://www.puppyos.com/boot2pup.htm
This new boot disk will scan the USB bus, the IDE drives and the CDROM drive, looking for Puppy, and if found will boot him
i think the boot floppy is supposed to boot Puppy from usb, cd, or hard drive ... i think pakt's WakePup is supposed to do the same thing
it may be possible to put GRUB on a bootable CD
yes, it is ... Grub will easily fit on a bootable floppy too

rarsa

Re: How to install to hdd but boot from CD?

#4 Post by rarsa »

Why do you want to install to HDD if you want to always boot from CD?

You could keep your configuration, and datafiles on the HDD and use the LiveCD to boot. You don't really need to install to HDD.

Actually that's the easiest and default way of working with Puppy.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Runemaster

#5 Post by Runemaster »

its just that i want puppy on the hd and just have a cd that finds it because running it from cd just isent my bag.

Philh

#6 Post by Philh »

There is a wakepup2 iso for a cd.
Though I havent tried it.
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979

ZeNiTRaM

#7 Post by ZeNiTRaM »

If you have a loopback (frugal, coexist) type of installation, you can boot from the Puppy CD using

Code: Select all

puppy PMEDIA=idehd
(PMEDIA must be in caps).

Runemaster

THX!!!

#8 Post by Runemaster »

thanx Guestoo for the WakePup2, because on that page you said you modded it or somethin, because i don't think pakt's version looks for puppy in the IDE hard drives. yay, it works just so you know.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

you should thank pakt, not me ... i have contributed very little if anything to his project

laptopnewbee

#10 Post by laptopnewbee »

Philh wrote:There is a wakepup2 iso for a cd.
Though I havent tried it.

first a little background.

running an old presario 1277 laptop with AMD K6 3D 433mhz cpu
192 meg ram less 8 meg set by bios for vid ram (64 factory 128 upgrade)
duel booting 98se and mandriva one disk install using grub bootloader
dead floppy drive
oem internal cd-rom
hdd upgraded from 4 gig to 60 gig
2.0 usb and external 4 output hub
pcmcia slot with netgear wg511u double 108 Mbps wifi card (does b g and a)
logitech usb/ps2 optical mouse on usb hub
liteon 52-32-52 cd-r-rw on usb
partitions are numbered to 9 but i never see 2 3 or 4 mandriva is on 5 and 6 i have almost 4 gig swap partition on hda7 my puppy save file is on 9

i tried installing puppy to hda8 partition and went into grub to setup the multi boot. no joy. puppy started to boot and somewhere around where it was supposed to copy to ramdisk i got a bunch of sync problems that lead to kernel panic. i was hoping that the wakepup2 cd would fix it up but still no joy. i have reinstalled several times and have run out of ideas. anyone have any ideas?

fluxit

#11 Post by fluxit »

i got a bunch of sync problems that lead to kernel panic.
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9940