Intermittent Wireless Configuration Problems

Booting, installing, newbie
hobby4me

Intermittent Wireless Configuration Problems

#1 Post by hobby4me »

I am new to Puppy Linux and am having inconsistent results with my wireless card configuration. After booting, the wireless card sometimes connects appropriately but sometimes appears partially configured and requires manual intervention to connect.

I'm using Puppy Linux 5.0 with a Belkin F5D7010 card that uses a rt2500 chipset and am booting from a USB flash drive.

The following script is in my /root/Startup directory. It was mentioned in a forum that this sometimes resolves this type of issue, but it does not appear to in my case.
#!/bin/sh
modprobe rt2500pci
sleep 5s
ifconfig wlan0 up
sleep 10s
iwconfig wlan0 essid HomeNetwork
iwconfig wlan0 key open A9B4E7462D
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info
rm -f /var/run/*.pid
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0
ifconfig
iwconfig

I performed a test of 6 reboots and received the following results. The configuration was identical in all cases with the startup shell script in /root/Startup:

Boot 1 and 5 - Connectivity established correctly with no manual intervention.
ifconfig shows lo and wlan0
iwconfig shows wlan0 correctly configured and connected with ESSID and correct WEP key

Boot 2, 3, 4, and 6 - Connectivity not established
ifconfig only shows lo
ifconfig -a shows eth0, lo, and wlan0 with no traffic
iwconfig shows wlan0 with no traffic, no ESSID, no access point; however, the appropriate WEP key is configured.

In cases where the connectivity did not correctly establish upon boot, I am able to utilize the Puppy Network Wizard to establish connectivity. I am also able to manually enter the commands from the shell script to establish wireless connectivity (so I believe the commands are valid for my configuration).

Any suggestions on what I might do to consistently establish wifi connectivity without manual intervention would be appreciated!

rjbrewer

Re: Intermittent Wireless Configuration Problems

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

hobby4me wrote:I am new to Puppy Linux and am having inconsistent results with my wireless card configuration. After booting, the wireless card sometimes connects appropriately but sometimes appears partially configured and requires manual intervention to connect.

I'm using Puppy Linux 5.0 with a Belkin F5D7010 card that uses a rt2500 chipset and am booting from a USB flash drive.

The following script is in my /root/Startup directory. It was mentioned in a forum that this sometimes resolves this type of issue, but it does not appear to in my case.
#!/bin/sh
modprobe rt2500pci
sleep 5s
ifconfig wlan0 up
sleep 10s
iwconfig wlan0 essid HomeNetwork
iwconfig wlan0 key open A9B4E7462D
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
rm -f /var/lib/dhcpcd/*.info
rm -f /var/run/*.pid
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc -d wlan0
ifconfig
iwconfig

I performed a test of 6 reboots and received the following results. The configuration was identical in all cases with the startup shell script in /root/Startup:

Boot 1 and 5 - Connectivity established correctly with no manual intervention.
ifconfig shows lo and wlan0
iwconfig shows wlan0 correctly configured and connected with ESSID and correct WEP key

Boot 2, 3, 4, and 6 - Connectivity not established
ifconfig only shows lo
ifconfig -a shows eth0, lo, and wlan0 with no traffic
iwconfig shows wlan0 with no traffic, no ESSID, no access point; however, the appropriate WEP key is configured.

In cases where the connectivity did not correctly establish upon boot, I am able to utilize the Puppy Network Wizard to establish connectivity. I am also able to manually enter the commands from the shell script to establish wireless connectivity (so I believe the commands are valid for my configuration).

Any suggestions on what I might do to consistently establish wifi connectivity without manual intervention would be appreciated!
Here's 1 wep tip; don't know if it will help:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 766#379766

Wouldn't hurt to try with an earlier Puppy version.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tenochslb

Same problem with rt2500pci

#3 Post by tenochslb »

I am having the same problem some times it partially connects but it then deautheticates after a few minutes or seconds. Other occasions it does not even detect the wireless network and finally the lesser times it works just fine.
It is so weird because mi other distro lubuntu works just fine all the time.

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

Maybe try this....DpupExprimo5X327 and Frisbee.

Links are in my posts.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 842#653842

Chris.