Puppy v Tablet

Promote Puppy !
raffy

privacy

#21 Post by raffy »

The current tablets are fine, but they bother me because they require my online identity. With PCs, that is optional.

I hope to see soon a PriPup (Privacy-assured Tablet). :D
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

owari

#22 Post by owari »

Lobster wrote: Intel chip based tablets do. Touch screen support is now in woof puppy build system. We are likely to try and make a commitment to cheap ARM devices once suitable inexpensive tablets emerge that can develop from present porting to ARM efforts. :)
thanks for the good news, till now I've only heard about puppy's Pi version for ARM cpu s (which I prefer over Intel and even AMD, actually I am going to be a user of not very large companies as I suspect them in many respects), hope it won't need years as I'm not sure for how long I can live puppyless! Living on my wife's Mac is too limiting for me coming from the linux land with all its varieties and wonders !

linuxbear

#23 Post by linuxbear »

runtt21 wrote:The bad thing is all of the good apps and stuff cost $ . Puppy can do much more for much less
I really wish it had rox .
Agreed, it is all about pay and pay and pay. Other than browsers, the only app I have found which lives on Android and Linux is FbReader. Android phones are worse. You cannot move any of the apps which came on the phone to an sd card without rooting the phone. Rooting the phone voids the warranty. If average Joe buys an inexpensive Android phone, he runs out of space after installing about 30Mb of apps.This sticks the average user with the Apple business model. You run out of space, buy another expensive device.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Agreed, it is all about pay and pay and pay.
I only use free apps
I can not get free music (there is loads) into itunes - Apple seems to think music - even from somewhere such as ccmixter should not be allowed. I can play music (streaming) but not download and use in other programs. They may force me to jailbreak. From what I have read GB (formally known as UK) is restricted to no free music, ever.
I will find a way into itunes, may have to get an old mac running with itunes - which is not as easy as downloading from the ipad

So it seems you buy the computer but lease the software. :?

However the operating system and free software is excellent.

I particularly like things like news watching through something like flipbook
Photo manipulation programs
and the Safari browser

The movement to the advantages of ARM are coming
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM

What we will have for the parmlet (Puppy tablet):
unrestricted access AND security
the ability to change the interface and core software
touch screen support (of course)
On screen keyboard (we will need this)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

"On screen keyboard (we will need this)"

There are so many versions available for Android.

Swype? "Swype is a faster and easier way to input text on any screen. With one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen keyboard, the patented technology ..."

There are many many others that I don't know the name of.
Maybe derailing the thread should I start a new but if I start it
then very few would respond.

Could you not start a new thread with a poll on which input method
that is the fastest and easiest way to input text on any tablet screen?
or most popular and preferred way?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

aplihs

#26 Post by aplihs »

I don't have one. But need to get one soon....

gcmartin

Good ideas for tablet use along with Puppy....integrate

#27 Post by gcmartin »

runtt21 wrote:That is all it lacks , a forward facing camera and the capacity to take and save/send pics and video. It can video chat now so not to much more to ask.
Actually, no xPad or xPhone should be without a cell antenna built-in, too.

Plan your purchases to match where our technology is taking us.

One of the very best applications of a Puppy distro (for which NONE exist in today's sphere or NONE is purported for this purpose) is a Puppy Cloud DIstro.

Reason for its need???
xPhone, xPad, back-store storage for your mobile devices. You (and I) should expect more and more personal devices to emerge (including our cars, segways, bikes, etc) which will produce media and provides a means to target its multimedia to a cloud you select. To "make-clear" what I share, is that it is NO stretch of the knowledge/imagination to know that your Puppy PC can be a cloud target for your personal devices and data needs. We just need to put together some documentation to instruct this community of how to setup and use their Cloudy services in their Puppy to support their mobile and remote LAN-WAN needs.

This is just one of several meaningful ways that Puppy can meet the needs of this changing community as we travel thru this set of device shifts which is occurring.

If someone of us wants to begin efforts how should we proceed. If anyone wants my help in documenting how to setup your cloud site and are willing to produce a Cloudy Pup, PM me. An recommendations and efforts can have great community benefit.

Here to help
Edited: For clarity
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#28 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

gcmartin

Yes, PCs as we have known them will be dimenishing

#29 Post by gcmartin »

This is the last time I will publish links on where the world is going. By now, it should be apparent to all of us. (This does NOT mean anyone of this community must embrace it. But if we simply use the efforts of RasberryPI as an example of how quickly a shift can occur, the shifts to touch-personal systems has been happening at an even quicker rate.)

For your read

Here to help 8)

gcmartin

Cloud - a very first start for using Puppy to our advantage

#30 Post by gcmartin »

@Lobster brings a focus of an already existing distro in Puppy. What's really missing is documentation of a practical use in the home's LAN for home devices. And, we can contribute by bringing some standard operations to this mix.

The reason for my asking for a "collaboration" is that I think we can begin to setup, and operate a colloboration where a "team" of individuals contribute to a distro with all sorts of related works. This includes, but it not limited to, the distro, its packages, and user documentation for user use in a personal home setting.

Microsoft's SLATE is going to be the Apple iPad/iPhone competitor as they move forward. Current internal industry reports show that there will soon be International Techco agreements to remarket the Microsoft product and there are signals all over the place of new product designs coming from Google as well as Microsoft and they begin to expand the whole mobile (Cloud) market, significantly.

The App-Store is becoming our way of life and will be the way of life for ALL consumers (thanks to Apple's lead in showing the way).

This is happening at a much more rapid pace than initially expected.

Puppy can have a tremendous impact in this direction and it does NOT take too much planning to impact a major paradigm shift that even the vendors had not chosen to address, just yet.

Do we have enough gas (manpower/understanding/willingness) in the community to, as a collaboration team, move the needle forward?

Lastly, we (I, too) are NOT suggesting abandonment of tradition. We are looking at how to embrace the future we moving to with what we have. This does mean a kinda morphing that must occur as the devices are adding functionality that did not exist at the turn of this decade.

Understanding is key.

gcmartin

Tablet directions by industry experts and corporate surveys

#31 Post by gcmartin »

I had posted before that I would not draw attention to our world's direction.

But, this link is for our serious consideration about where our world is moving toward.

Assuming understanding, Puppy could figure into this direction. This IS the direction as I am looking at CEO requests and reports of 2013+ directions in Corporate tool needs.

This does not require "Einstein-ium" wisdom or "Crystal-balling" for understanding as we are witnessing it all over the world.

Hope understanding.

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

My biggest concern with Tablets and smartphones is that they concentrate power in the hands of those who design them. I would prefer to use Puppy on my netbook rather than use Android or some form of iOS of MicosoftOS on a fancy tablet. Just because I do not like to trust such companies with my data.

I use Puppy almost exclusively during my working day - and I connect to our corporate server through the wifi/3G link on my Android phone. The Android provides only the means of data transfer - rather than making me dependent on it's apps.

I think we will see corporates develop their own apps for these devices - and they will be "locked down" in such a way that Puppy will not have a chance to duplicate them.

I already experience this with my companies online training courses - no puppy browser can connect to them. I have contacted the company that sets up the training and they told me that IE is the only browser that can connect (by deliberate design). I told them that was a silly policy and they laughed at me. They said it was a deliberate strategy that ties the browser to the company that pays the bill for the online training.

No pay, no access.

I don't know specifically how they alter the browser to allow connection, but I think it is an example of "tailormade" apps that force the user to work a certain way - instead of giving the user the freedom to work in the most productive or desirable way.

A puppy tablet would be useful, but only if the corporate world accepts it. And I don't see much likelihood of most corporates allowing a device that is open-rooted.

Jasper

#33 Post by Jasper »

Hi greengeek,

I use Slacko 5.3.1 and I have QtWeb portable browser (though I rarely use it).

However, it does have two particularly nice features:

(1) If you make a folder with any name (e.g. MyQT) and put the downloaded portable browser file (that looks a cog wheel in it) then all subsequent subsidiary files of QT will be saved and updated in MyQT (and that directory can be moved to a location of choice and after making the cog file executable just click it).

(2) There is toolbar icon/dropdown list (see picture below) that (though I haven't tested it) says you can choose compatibilty with IE etc.

My regards

PS If any of you try it set to IE kindly let us know if it works.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 866 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#34 Post by Lobster »

Despite the limitations, I am spending 90% of my time on a tablet (Ipad3).
If I was writing software, tablet is not ideal.
Just like with Puppy I am finding my way around limitations of the experience.

Initially I was using the tablet as an augmentation to the Raspberry Pi and Puppy . . .

Barry has been working on woof (and remember this now compiles for ARM processors) which are ideal for tablets.

I would not want to run Puppy on an Ipad because it is not configured or suited to the environment .. . yet . . .. Two years from now, when I buy another cheaper, better, longer battery life etc, I hope I will have the choice . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

Jasper wrote:I use Slacko 5.3.1 and I have QtWeb portable browser
Thanks Jasper - did you find the QtWeb via the Slacko PPM or as a static file from somewhere else?

Jasper

#36 Post by Jasper »

Hi greengeek,

Google qtweb > click downloads > choose Linux 13.4 MB version.

I almost sure that's how I got it - seemed familiar when I just googled,

Good luck with it and IE compatibility.

My regards

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

@GreenGeek.

I haven't done this in about 4 years, but, I seem to remember that methods exist in turning on perferences such that your browser tells the upstream webhost that it is IE.

I would expect that this feature in SeaMonkey (where I used it) or Firefox "might" meet your needs. Many Corporates use Microsoft web-servers and elements to insure that the browsers meet some .NET, and others conformity in IE.

the filters I mentioned may properly announce to the upstream webhost, where it may/may-not match all of the needs.

Here to help

gcmartin

64bit ARM available

#38 Post by gcmartin »

Don't know how many are aware of US decision to allow jail-breaking on phones but not on tablets. I think this brings to an end what US people can do with tablets in light of that decision.

But, for the rest of the world, we may still be able to move forward.

One other announcement that came to light is the working relationship of ARM and Microsoft seen in this media clip.

Thsi means that my tested version of LightHouse64 V5.15F will load and run totally in RAM on the current 64bit ARM .... assuming of course that there is an 64bit ARM kernel.

Here to help

jpeps

Re: 64bit ARM available

#39 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:Don't know how many are aware of US decision to allow jail-breaking on phones but not on tablets. I think this brings to an end what US people can do with tablets in light of that decision.
ha ha; wrong

I read this comment:
Only if the bootloader is locked. If you buy from a company like asus, they post the unlock tool right on their support page. The law only applies to breaking DRM. If the manufacturer waives it, you're in the clear.
Clearly, instructions on how to root your android device are all over the internet, and are widely supported. I wouldn't and haven't thought twice about rooting my nexus7.

Here's another quote:
We are very pleased that the existing exemptions for jailbreaking and vidding were renewed and, in the case of vidding, significantly extended. That is an important victory for tinkerers and creators," EFF's intellectual property director Corynne McSherry told CNET. "It's unfortunate that the Copyright Office didn't take the logical next step and extend the jailbreaking exemption to tablets and consoles, but we are confident it will do so in the next round."

Bottom line: unless you're engaged in pirating software, I wouldn't be concerned, and nobody else is either.

(I think there are also laws against fellatio).
As far as I know, "sodomy" is considered to be anything other than missionary position. Butt-sex, blowjobs, doggy style, reverse cowgirl, 69, cunnilingus, sideways, standing up, lotus position, and pretty much the entirety of the Kama Sutra are technically illegal.
Typical response:
I think that I've violated every archaic, unenforced law mentioned so far.

sunburnt

#40 Post by sunburnt »

I watch my kids play with their Galaxy phones and it`s nice to check movie times at theaters, etc.
But I never considered phones or tablets to be a serious computer, just portable communicators.

I took my son and his friend to McDs, his friend had a 10" tablet with a kick out table stand on it.
I thought... If you had a wireless keyboard and mouse it could work fairly well as a desktop PC.
Later at home I saw a Yahoo video of a guy walking into work using a tablet, he set it upright on the table,
pulled out a wireless folding keyboard and mouse and in seconds was typing an email and preparing work.
I thought... Now that`s the future, one device that can do the work of several. No big monitor, but usable.

# I`ll watch with interest the effort to add touch control, etc. to Puppy.