DotPups

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#181 Post by GuestToo »

Dillo 8.5 Patched

# Support for frames and tabbed browsing
# Anti-aliasing and scaled fonts through Xft support

http://teki.jpn.ph/pc/software/index-e.shtml

this puts an icon in my-roxapps

[edit: ver 0.0.3 - uses a config file named dillorc85p so it won't interfere with other versions of Dillo - dillocfg should work with dillorc85p - dillocfg is in the menu when you right click the roxapp icon]
Last edited by GuestToo on Thu 21 Jul 2005, 22:12, edited 5 times in total.

mouldy

#182 Post by mouldy »

concerning dillo85patched dotpup, get following error when I try to run it:

/root/my-applications/dillo/dillo85: relocation error: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: symbol_rtld_global_ro, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

puppian

#183 Post by puppian »

Thank you so much for the quick reply!
I've tried the Dillo 0.85 patched already and is so happy with it! It works fine in my box.
Thanks again for the good work!

Just one minor problem, I guess there maybe some conflict between the new patched Dillo and the old one that comes with Puppy. After installation, I tried to view sites in other languages without success. But the strange thing is: it works on the old Dillo!

It seems that the new Dillo won't switch to the right encoding (but it can use the unicode font I have in the ~/.font directory). Really strange.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#184 Post by GuestToo »

an interactive fiction site:
http://wurb.com/if/

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#185 Post by GuestToo »

i made the Dillo 0.8.5 patched dotpup quickly, i did not have much time for testing

i improved it a bit and uploaded the new version (mostly tweaks, i think it will run about the same)

mouldy, it sounds like you have a slightly different version of libc then Puppy 1.0.3 has ... 1.0.3 has libc-2.3.2.so in /lib ... it does not have libc in /usr/lib at all

i compiled dillo on Vector Linux 4.3, which is not identical to Puppy, so there may be some problems ... but i just ran it, displayed several websites and some Puppy help files, and there were no error messages at all

puppian, the patched version has support for fonts and encodings that the standard one does, but i don't really know how it works ... i don't think Puppy's locales works quite right, but that's another thing i don't know much about

you could try setting the LANG variable:
open an rxvt window, type export LANG=en_us or whatever you want, then type dillo85 to start dillo (exporting LANG will only change LANG in that rxvt window and any sub windows ... it isn't permanent)

there's a prebuilt rpm, but it's the 8.4 version ... it might work better for you ... i compiled dillo with the default options, except i enabled meta-refresh

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#186 Post by GuestToo »

dillo will use the same default files as other dillo version you might have installed

in particular, any standard version of dill will use /root/.dillo/dillorc ... so the patched version might be configured differently, or you might have a different version that may not be compatible

i did not have dillo already installed, so i did not have this problem

maybe i can compile dillo-patched so it uses non-standard paths ... that way, it will not interfere with other versions

also, Uninstall in the dillo-patched menu will delete /usr/lib/dillo, which will disable other versions of dillo (you should be able to reinstall ... if it's installed on the cd, you can delete root/.usr/lib/dillo to fix it)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#187 Post by GuestToo »

dillo has an option to start with a different config file, but i don't think there's an easy way to set the library path, either as a compile option or a run time option ... it would be easy to run as many different versions of dillo as you want, by using symlinks, but if the other dillo installation doesn't use symlinks, then it's not so easy

#188 Post by Guest »

Tried the "export Lang=" command and here are the results:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

** WARNING **: no support enc

(I remember seeing one more line "** WARNING **: could not allocate character encoding converter" when I tried with the first Dillo 0.85 patched.)

When I tried typing firefox (which can display other languages on my machine) instead of dillo85, it gives:

(process:2538): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
*** loading the extensions datasource

Does it mean anything?

And one more note, after uninstalling the first dillo85 patched (and before installing the improved one), my old dillo can still work and even read different encodings. It's really interesting.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#189 Post by GuestToo »

i think it just means that locales don't work right in Puppy

the first Dillo dotpup i uploaded used the default config files (in /root/.dillo) and symlinked to /usr/lib/dillo

the latest Dillo dotpup uses dillorc85 instead of dillorc, and changes the path to the library files in dpidrc instead of symlinking to /usr, so it shouldn't interfere with another Dillo version if it's installed

however, the first one would have overwritten your dillorc file, so it may have different options setup ... you can edit the file and setup the options the way you like them

it also may have replaced your library files with a symlink to the patched library files ... or it may not have ... if you uninstalled it by right clicking the icon, it would have deleted the /usr/lib/dillo dir ... you might not notice unless you try to use the bookmarks

you might need to reinstall the Dillo you had before, if you want it to run properly ... and maybe delete /root/.dillo/ before installing (my uninstaller does not delete it, in case you want to keep your configuration and bookmarks)

i don't know if it's Dillo that's the problem, or if it's they way Puppy's locales are setup, but i suspect Dillo may be ok

puppian

#190 Post by puppian »

"..... if you uninstalled it by right clicking the icon, it would have deleted the /usr/lib/dillo dir....."
I did uninstall the first dillo85 patched by right clicking the icon.

"i don't know if it's Dillo that's the problem, or if it's they way Puppy's locales are setup, but i suspect Dillo may be ok"
I agree. Since the very old dillo that comes with Puppy 1.03 can read different languages now on my machine.

Has anyone tried viewing websites in other languages? Does it work?

Here is a test page:
http://teki.jpn.ph/pc/software/test.html

You may want to install the needed font first if you haven't done so yet.

http://www.ipd.uka.de/~muelle/ARIALUNI.zip
OR: http://orwell.ru/download/aruniupd.exe
(If you have M$ Office CD you can copy arialuni.ttf directly without downloading)

Unzip the file and copy the .ttf font to your /root/.font/ folder. The file is a bit large but I think it worths. You can view websites in any languages in Mozilla or Firefox (and maybe dillo) after installing it.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#191 Post by GuestToo »

i think the dillo that comes with 1.0.3 is not dillo at all ... it is a lite version of Mozilla (and is actually about as new as you can get) ... my dillo package should not affect Mozilla at all

if you installed a dillo PupGet package, that would really be dillo ... i think the dillo Unleashed package is 0.8.5, which is the latest version

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#192 Post by GuestToo »

dd_rescue 1.12

copies data from one file or block device to another.
does not abort on read errors.
for rescuing data from a medium with errors,
i.e. a hard disk with some bad sectors

WARNING: i have not tested this at all
use at your own risk

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html
Attachments
dd_rescue.pup
dd_rescue 1.12
(47.61 KiB) Downloaded 2134 times
Last edited by GuestToo on Tue 05 Sep 2006, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

puppian

#193 Post by puppian »

GuestToo wrote:i think the dillo that comes with 1.0.3 is not dillo at all ... it is a lite version of Mozilla (and is actually about as new as you can get) ... my dillo package should not affect Mozilla at all

if you installed a dillo PupGet package, that would really be dillo ... i think the dillo Unleashed package is 0.8.5, which is the latest version
Oh...I see! I've uninstalled all other dillo before I install your dotpup, and the only 'dillo' left is the one that comes with puppy which I can't uninstall. It's Mozilla actully! That's why it's name is 'gtkmoz' in /usr/local/bin. This again show what a newbie I am :). Big thanks for discovering that.

Then Dillo has never worked in displaying other language. It's probably not puppy's problem but dillo's.

And for my previous post, the .ttf font should be copied to /root/.fonts BUT NOT /root/.font (an 's' is missing). Sorry for the typo.

To know if it works right please see below:
Attachments
test1.gif
right
(7.07 KiB) Downloaded 2689 times
test2.gif
wrong
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 2715 times

mouldy

#194 Post by mouldy »

GuestToo wrote: mouldy, it sounds like you have a slightly different version of libc then Puppy 1.0.3 has ... 1.0.3 has libc-2.3.2.so in /lib ... it does not have libc in /usr/lib at all
I have the same libc-2.3.2.so in /lib on my murgapuppy1.0.1. Dillo85 just insists on looking in /usr/lib for it. So I put a copy in /usr/lib and its happy now. Am using Dillo85patched at the moment to post this.

I've tried lot software on this installation of Puppy. Quite possible I did something to get some other software to work that caused this.

puppian

#195 Post by puppian »

Installed the rpm successfully. It works fine, though still lack the ability of viewing sites in other languages.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the new Dillo (I'll reinstalled the first dotpup soon, it seems that the second one won't save the option I made in dillocfg.) The fonts look very good no matter what font factor is used. It supports tab-browsing and is the newest version :)

Hope that the encoding problem can be solved by someone in the future.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#196 Post by GuestToo »

mouldy wrote:I have the same libc-2.3.2.so in /lib on my murgapuppy1.0.1. Dillo85 just insists on looking in /usr/lib for it. So I put a copy in /usr/lib and its happy now.
i don't know why it's looking in /usr/lib ... it doesn't do that on my machine

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#197 Post by GuestToo »

puppian wrote:I'll reinstalled the first dotpup soon, it seems that the second one won't save the option I made in dillocfg
the second one does not use dillorc at all ... it uses a file named dillorc85 ... i did that so it would not interfere with other versions of Dillo ... if you copy dillorc to dillorc85, it should work, and edit dillorc85 to change your configuration

i think i compiled in support for character sets ... i looked at the list of configure options, and the defaults seemed ok, except i also enabled meta-refresh ... it says on the site:
The Dillo internationalisation patch enables display of pages with Japanese, Chinese, Korean, French, Greek and other character sets.
# Changed to use UTF-8 for internal processing
# Multi byte char selection support
# Support for character entity references like &#xnnnn;
# Automatic charset recognition support
# Change font setting code for i18n

mouldy

#198 Post by mouldy »

I dont see any dillorc85. I configured mine using /root/my-applications/bin/dillocfg. This says its a link back to /root/my-applications/dillo/dillocfg but if you go directly there it wont work, need to click on the link. Whatever, it works and I like the menu better than the dillorc type config file.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#199 Post by GuestToo »

i forgot about the config gui (i'm used to editing config files in a text editor)

the config gui in the first dotpup should work, because that dillo uses the standard dillorc file

you can make it work for the newer dotpup by deleting /root/.dillo/dillorc85, right clicking dillorc, click link, and type dillorc85 as the name of the link ... now the dillocfg gui should work properly

this defeats the purpose of not interfering with other versions of dillo that use the standard config file, but it usually doesn't matter

i could write a wrapper script that would backup dillorc, copy dillorc85 to dillorc, run the gui, copy dillorc to dillorc85, then restore the backed up dilllorc ... it should work, and would only be a few lines in a script ... but it's starting to get a bit complicated

puppian

#200 Post by puppian »

"you can make it work for the newer dotpup by deleting /root/.dillo/dillorc85, right clicking dillorc, click link, and type dillorc85 as the name of the link ... now the dillocfg gui should work properly
i could write a wrapper script that would backup dillorc, copy dillorc85 to dillorc, run the gui, copy dillorc to dillorc85, then restore the backed up dilllorc ... it should work, and would only be a few lines in a script ... but it's starting to get a bit complicated"

sorry for the confusion and thanks again! :)

And for the the locale thing, I found something wrtten by Barry in the forum:

"...Puppy has LANG=C, which is intended for 7-bit ascii only, whereas it should be LANG=en_US or whatever -- but some reasearch is needed here as Puppy does not support switching into en_US locale, something is missing.
...a project for anyone interested!"
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... a5af56337e

it shows something called 'C' and 'POSIX' when i type 'locale -a'. it seems that other locale are not support :(