Suggestions for Forum Improvement

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
aarf

#301 Post by aarf »

Flash wrote:Aarf, I've never seen that, but then I've never used Dillo. Where was it the author wanted you to go after 3 seconds?
nowhere different.
just the same place everyone else wants me to go to:
hell

Bruce B

#302 Post by Bruce B »

aarf wrote:non standard meta refresh
So, you happened on the non standard meta refresh did you? This is strictly for Area 51, along with UF0 sightings, aliens, the underground transcontinental railroad, disappearing airstrips and Indiana Jones films.

Here is a link to Area 51. Some have returned and others haven't. I hope you can return.

~

aarf

#303 Post by aarf »

Bruce B wrote:
aarf wrote:non standard meta refresh
So, you happened on the non standard meta refresh did you? This is strictly for Area 51, along with UF0 sightings, aliens, the underground transcontinental railroad, disappearing airstrips and Indiana Jones films.

Here is a link to Area 51. Some have returned and others haven't. I hope you can return.

~
the zip of the custom forum code hasnt been forthcoming, so it's definitely a no-go area.

amigo

#304 Post by amigo »

"non standard meta refresh" I can explain that. dillo has the goal of supporting html standards. The html 'refresh' directive is not part of the official standards. dillo doesn't support it by default, but can be compiled so that it does support it. Hence the warning -usually it simply refreshes the same page you are/were looking at.

8-bit

#305 Post by 8-bit »

I have a problem with my internet cutting out and that is not a puppy problem.
But when I log on to the forum and select "View messages since last visit" they are displayed.
The problem is that I start to read them and the internet cuts out.
When I log on again, all those messages that I had not read are now gone when I select "View messages since last visit"
Is there a way to retain them as not read so they show the next time I log in to read them?
It is getting really old having them disappear when I log on again.
I tried changing my Preferences to try to retain them, but evidently the moment I select "View messages since last visit" the forum software assumes I have read them all.

Any insights into a solution?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#306 Post by Flash »

Hmm. I can't think of a way. As part of sending you the list of unread posts, the forum zeroes the count. Can you not save that page? (In SeaMonkey, Ctrl+S) If nothing else, the links should still be good even if you aren't logged in.

nooby

#307 Post by nooby »

Maybe one can make a quick save of that page with all the html code in it?

Then all the links would still be thre and then when you read the interesting stuff you can delete these then? More work than you want maybe.

But I had a similar problem so I do feel for you 8-bit. wish there was some easy solution.

A bash script that do such saving automatically and you quickly go through all the new things to the end and then in your own pace can look at the saved pages regardless of if online or offline?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

mavrothal

attachments

#308 Post by mavrothal »

It would be nice if post attachments could be downloaded from a command line tool/script.

This way the vast number of pets in the forum could be easier catalogued and retrieved.

wget/curl fail to download attachment feeded with the link, and I could not find any phpBB tool that can do that. Is there any?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

MoebusNet

Request: Sticky for "How to use this forum"

#309 Post by MoebusNet »

The sticky would attempt to answer questions like "How can I select page 29 of 63 pages in a thread without having to scroll through them 3-by-3?"

BTW, how do you do that?

TIA
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

SFR

Re: Request: Sticky for "How to use this forum"

#310 Post by SFR »

MoebusNet wrote:The sticky would attempt to answer questions like "How can I select page 29 of 63 pages in a thread without having to scroll through them 3-by-3?"

BTW, how do you do that?

TIA
Since single page contains max. 15 posts, I'm using this formula:
(desired_page_number - 1) * 15
eg. I want to reach 35th page of Playdayz's Lucid thread,
(35-1)*15=510, and then:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=510
But I agree, there should be simpler way to do it :)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

nooby

#311 Post by nooby »

SFR that was cool. I have also been annoyed on the way it number pages.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#312 Post by Flash »

There's Threadget, and aarf made a post that appears to be about the subject. :lol:

mahaju

#313 Post by mahaju »

Suggestion for an option to favourite threads in the forum
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75242

Aitch

#314 Post by Aitch »

link to big_bass's console/bacon download tool

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 314#592314

Aitch :)

HiDeHo

#315 Post by HiDeHo »

Good idea starting this thread.

a really great idea would be to have the ability to ad tags in posts. this would greatly help aid the searching and finding things quicker, and easier in the puppy forums.

I have heard users complain that the forums are a mess compared to others they use. and that there is allot of misinformation, or old posts no longer relevant. I myself don't notice this but if others do it maybe worth a revamp at some stage. (not saying it does though)

aarf

#316 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#317 Post by nooby »

Very good suggestion from aarf.
If it is possible make it a kind of box with a text that explain what it is about.
I trust a lot of newbies have no idea what it suppose to do.

darkcity

#318 Post by darkcity »

What is aarf's suggestion, the post appears blank?
---

I suggested added an unanswered topic panel, details here-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81025[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#319 Post by Flash »

It is blank. Aarf suddenly started removing the contents of his posts a week or two ago. For that reason, he's no longer allowed to post. :roll:

darkcity

#320 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for the information. People have the right to remove post no? But I have to agree it is very annoying. . .