How to make a multi-session cd?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
freke

How to make a multi-session cd?

#1 Post by freke »

I am trying to load puppy onto a multi-session cd and I followed the helpline to cdburner.exe.se/? there is a symbol where I have shown as a ? which is like the number 8 turned on its side, I do not know what the symbol is an cannot find it on my keyboard.
freke

Runemaster

#2 Post by Runemaster »

it means that there is no value set for that specific place, or either it means infinite.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

The most fool-proof way to put Puppy on a multisession CD is with burniso2cd in Puppy. First, burn a regular (bootable) CD of the Puppy iso, boot that, then use Start -> Multimedia -> burniso2cd to burn a multisession CD (or better yet, DVD.)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

raffy

infinite symbol

#4 Post by raffy »

It's an "infinite" symbol that is usually used in Wikis to mean "a link to outside".

You should use any CD burner that can leave the CD open for adding files. There are many terms used here, like "not fixating", etc. The easiest way to do this is burn a Puppy CD initially through an easy/small burn program like burncdcc, use this CD to run Puppy, then burn a new CD for multisession using Puppy.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

freke

multi session dvd

#5 Post by freke »

Thanks for all the good advice but please remember I am rather thick and out of my depth when it comes to puppy linux, so where can I buy a multi session dvd?
Hopefully with a dvd running I could make a start.

Freke

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

8)

You don't. A normal DVD is offered the option to be left open as a multisession (open to record onto over many session) when you save Puppy - after the first powerdown.

If you are still unable, then buy a CD from Barry
Some Puppys will send out a free CD / DVD in the UK
http://www.puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

You do realize that to use a multisession DVD your computer must have a DVD burner? Also, if you don't have a hard drive with a swap partition on it, you need a lot of RAM (>256MB) for best results with multisession CD or DVD. You can create a swap partition on your hard drive, with Gparted, once you have a bootable Puppy CD or DVD. :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

marksouth2000

Re: multi session dvd

#8 Post by marksouth2000 »

freke wrote:Thanks for all the good advice but please remember I am rather thick and out of my depth when it comes to puppy linux,
I see that you're in the UK. People in the UK are told this kind of thing all the time, about being too thick to work stuff out and having to have other people think for them.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BELIEVE THIS ABOUT YOURSELF.

The fact that you can get into the forum and post a perfectly legible query means that you alreay have more than enough ability to cope with Puppy. You only have to realise that learning is normal.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON POSTING IN THIS FORUM STARTED OUT KNOWING ZZZEEERRRROOO ABOUT PUPPY. INCLUDING BARRY!

Please, Freke, search the forum, read all the new posts for a couple of days, buy yourself a fresh DVD-RW (or DVD+RW) for about a fiver at Tesco, at give it a try. If it doesn't work right, you can blank it and start over. And keep asking questions. And don't give up on yourself.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: multi session dvd

#9 Post by Flash »

marksouth2000 wrote:...You only have to realise that learning is normal.
I would say he should realize that it is normal for learning to be painful if you're over 30. That's what makes us old farts so cranky. :lol:

Here's a neat trick you can use if you have a DVD burner and a DVD+ or -RW:
Download the Puppy iso in Windows, if that's all you have. Use whatever burning program you have in Windows to burn a bootable DVD of the iso. Then boot the DVD+/-RW, mount the Windows partition where you put the Puppy iso and use burniso2cd to burn it on the same DVD+/-RW. No need to blank the DVD first, just overburn it. I've done this several times, with both DVD+ and -RW. I believe there are technical reasons why +RW is better than -RW if you're going to do it, but both have worked for me. I've never tried multisession Puppy on CD-RW but I think you must erase it first.

pmshah

#10 Post by pmshah »

You need not go through the dual cd burning process. Simply burn the Puppy Linux iso to a cd by any half way decent program ensuring that you DO NOT CLOSE the sesion.

This is available on all versions of nero.

freke

#11 Post by freke »

I am very grateful for all the advice, but when I tried to save using a blank dvd in burniso2cd (using an external LG ) writer I then got a screen asking more questions than I could understand, when I clicked ok without entering anything in the fields the next screen told me if the burn had been successful it had loaded it onto the dvd.
As you in the know will know it did not work.
Sorry marksouth2000 you are wrong I am thick!

freke (aged 73)

freke

#12 Post by freke »

Limited success for an old thicko, I am unable as yet to make a multisession cd/dvd and my bios will not boot from a usb memory stick, so I copied the puppy live cd onto the a 512mb usb stick put the cd and the usb stick in my pc and ran a session in puppy linux, the next time I started all was set up and I have done 4 sessions since and ech time it worked, I now have to get my epson d88 recognised and fingers crossed I can move forward.
Freke

Usin puppy linux 2.01 :lol:

marksouth2000

#13 Post by marksouth2000 »

freke wrote:Sorry marksouth2000 you are wrong I am thick!
Hey Freke!

I see that you're not as thick as you originally thought, and you know more than you did a few days ago. Cool. Keep it up! :D

Mark 8)

Bert

#14 Post by Bert »

freke wrote:I am very grateful for all the advice, but when I tried to save using a blank dvd in burniso2cd (using an external LG ) writer I then got a screen asking more questions than I could understand,
Could it be that the external LG writer is the cause of Freke's problems?
I seem to remember Barry wrote that better support for usb-dvd-burners would start from Puppy 2.10? Freke didn't mention what Puppy version he's using.
Just an idea. Welcome Freke!

freke

#15 Post by freke »

Thanks Bert, you are probably right I have ordered an internal dvd writer but in the meantime I have found the combined cd usb ideal for me and if I want to experiment I can use a second usb and if I cock it up as is most likely I can go back to the original usb stick.
I am using puppy linux 2.01
Freke

freke

#16 Post by freke »

This is just to say thanks with your help and patience, I am now running puppy 2.1 on a recordable dvd and it is excellant, but I still need to get my printer working with memory measured in nanoseconds I do need a printer, if someone will handwalk me through the installation I will be ever so grateful.
"old age always comes at a bad time"

Freke

freke

multi-session live-CD/DVD

#17 Post by freke »

I have just loaded 2.12 on a DVD-R and a CD-R and the both work ok, but when I loaded it onto a CD-RW it stopped loading, this happened twice, as I said it works fine on the DVD-R, is there a reason for this or have I done something wrong?

Freke aka thicko

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

No, it's not you. Multisession is not as robust on CD as it is on DVD, and CD-RW is the most flakey of all. Be happy that it works for you on CD-R. :)

For the record, Puppy has always worked for me on multisession DVD+RW and DVD-RW. I only tried it once on CD-RW and I don't remember that it worked.

freke

#19 Post by freke »

Thanks your reply has given my confidence a boost, as a person who although I thoroughly enjoy it computing does not come naturally I find my way round by trial and error.
There are many problems to me and some of them seem to silly to ask about, for instance with the printing, if it had not been for the walking through that pakt did for me I would have given up on Linux.
Along with many others I think if the forum had section not only for beginners but for any thickos like myself that would explain in detail how to do simple jobs eg copying any files from one puppy to the next upgrade.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Unfortunately for those of us who'd prefer a more sedate pace, Puppy is "rocketing ahead," as raffy put it here. :lol: