My Dad's New Computer

Promote Puppy !
p310don

My Dad's New Computer

#1 Post by p310don »

I thought I would share this little story.

My Dad is always keen to use a computer, but is generally pretty useless at it. Often when being told how to do things, he responds with questions like "one click or two clicks?" and refers to the return key as "Bent Arrow"!

Anyway, my parents have had the same laptop for about 7 years now, running Windows XP, which has suited them fine for all that time. Except, that it is doing the windows thing of getting slower and slower and slower, so they decided it was time to consult me about getting a new computer.

I suggested I could show them Puppy, Wary in fact, and see if they like it, rather than spend money.

Dad's comment was, "Everyone only wants Windows. I don't want anything but windows."

Pretty hard against that sort of attitude, so off we went to the computer shop and got a nice new i5 Asus laptop running Windows7.

Now, here's the kinda fun part. We get it home, unbox it and start it up. It wants to go through a (in my opinion) painful process of setting up for the first time, creating users and settings etc. In the meantime, I decide to fire up the old PC with the Wary disc in it to pass the time.

I was up and running with that in about one minute as the new Win7 machine is ticking away trying to get itself to its first boot. That process took nearly an hour btw.

Somewhere along the lines there, Dad took notice that the slow, old computer seemed to be running fine, and quick! Not bad for a celeron 1.6ghz with 512MB ram.

Anyway, the new machine was finally set up, and I left.

A few days later, Dad rang me to tell me about his new computer, and how much better it is than MUM's new computer! Of course, he is using the old one, with its new Wary OS and he is loving it!! He is even talking about how he wants to race Mum on her new computer from button press to the banking website loaded, sure that he'll win!!

After an hour on the phone yesterday, he even managed to install his HP printer via CUPS and get it working. He is pretty happy, and I'm pretty happy that I have converted another happy customer to Linux and Puppy!

Thanks to Barry, and everyone that contributes to this great OS project.

The only thing wrong is Dad now wants to know why he has spent $700 for Mum's new computer. Oh well. :)

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I hope they later dual boot and keep Ms Windows because
if he ever buy a Smartphone and it wants to install an update
to Android most likely it need a program for Ms win to do it.

Okay not every smartphone use that but awfully many do use
Ms Win for it. And some Cameras wants Ms Win too and other
such gadgets only have drivers for Ms Win and no Wine in linux
most likely don't work for those drivers.

It is a sad situation.

And interesting thing would be if you made a frugal install
of a modern puppy like Lupu 528-005 or Prestige or such
on Mothers brand new Asus and that way got to know if
Ms Win have set the UEFI to need a special key for to boot.

Some of the brand new computers have such restrictions so be prepared.

Does the DVD with Racy boot on Mothers new computer?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Adagio

#3 Post by Adagio »

Prestige?
Huh?
Wot dat?

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

sorry the name is http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=03001
Precise and not the other word. Try Lupu or Slacko first.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Barkin

Re: My Dad's New Computer

#5 Post by Barkin »

p310don wrote:... my parents have had the same laptop for about 7 years now, running Windows XP, which has suited them fine for all that time. Except, that it is doing the windows thing of getting slower and slower and slower, so they decided it was time to consult me about getting a new computer.
Using a registry cleaner on a Windows OS which has been running for several years is worth a try to speed it up,
e.g. http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html [free, I have used V5 without any problems],
but do back-up everything before modifying the registry.

p310don

#6 Post by p310don »

Using a registry cleaner on a Windows OS which has been running for several years is worth a try to speed it up,
I have done that, all the usuals, registry, defrags, cleanups etc. I'm convinced part of windows updates is a slow down feature to purposely slow down the computer. That computer, and a work computer connected to the internet both slowed drastically at around the same time, after a similar update.

Best fix for an old windows pc that is slow, kick it to the kennels.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

What a great story :)

You have to allow people to do what they want sometimes . . .
I must admit I stopped dual booting when I realised I had Windows XP or 7 on my system and just never used it . . . so it went . . .

New computers are fun because we are moving towards silence and solid state.

The http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PARM
tablet / keyboard combo is starting to emerge . . .
It is what I would recommend . . . if it was a little cheaper . . .

This version is £300
http://www.archos.com/products/gen10/ar ... =en&slider

Give it time . . . and your parents may upgrade again in another few years . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D