Save My Modem not deleting messages from server

Booting, installing, newbie
Mercedes350se

Save My Modem not deleting messages from server

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

The subject line says it all.

I have been using smm for years and can not live without it. However the last few days it will not delete the messages off the server.

For the record I am using a full install of 3.01 - yes I know but it still does everything I want so cannot see any real reason to "upgrade".

Any ideas/suggestions please.
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 07:24, edited 2 times in total.

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I used to use this type of email-checking package (e.g. Mailwasher under wine) but have found it just as easy to log into my ISP's web-mail option (as though I was travelling and wanted to check emails, but I'm just doing this from home).

I have bookmarked my ISP's web-mail page and have added it to my Seamonkey Bookmarks Toolbar.

I simply click on this toolbar tab to check what emails are on the server - Seamonkey remembers my log-in details so after another click, I quickly see the list of waiting emails.

The package my ISP uses (SquirrelMail) allows select&delete, or if I want, to open (preview) a particular email in a new Tab to see what it says. I can also Forward an email directly from the server without downloading.

David S.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

Has your pop3 server account recently been re-configured to "use the "keep on server" pop3 feature"?
"pop3 setup->Help" within SMM mentions this "keep on server" pop3 feature.
Attachments
00.jpg
(9.52 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

Mercedes350se

#4 Post by Mercedes350se »

davids45,

Thank you for that idea. I checked my ISP and I am able to do the same thing- good to know if I cannot get smm working again.

Sylvander,

The way I use smm is to check, i.e. mark, the emails to delete, click Disconnect and then click Quit which, in the past, was all I needed to do. Confused!

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

Mercedes350se wrote:The way I use smm is to check, i.e. mark, the emails to delete, click Disconnect and then click Quit which, in the past, was all I needed to do.
I do exactly the same, but...
Perhaps your pop3 account has been reconfigured to save a copy of each email, even when the original has been deleted.
Not sure how that's done, but I vaguely remember seeing that option offered to me at some time in the past.
Ask your ISP's tech assistance via telephone.
They aught to know.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

just guessing : pop3 smells for hotmail/live account .

Windows had recently some month ago changed things because too many Email-clients had "delete messages from server after download" as default settings .

Mercedes350se

#7 Post by Mercedes350se »

Sylvander wrote: .. Ask your ISP's tech assistance via telephone.
They aught to know.
Nah! As soon as you mention Linux that is the end of the conversation.

For what ever reason smm now seems to be working correctly. No, I do not have any idea why or what I may have done.
Karl Godt wrote:just guessing : pop3 smells for hotmail/live account .

Windows had recently some month ago changed things because too many Email-clients had "delete messages from server after download" as default settings .
In my case the emails, when they are downloaded, are no longer on the server anyway.

Interestingly I fired up my 98 install with Mailwasher and the emails were deleted as expected.

I will wait a while before marking the thread as solved however.

Mercedes350se

#8 Post by Mercedes350se »

I know it is almost 2 months since the last post but 'I think' I know the reason why the emails were not being deleted off the server.

There is 'I think' a bug in smm which if you have clicked "Show Headers" then the emails are not deleted as expected.

If "Show Headers" is unclicked then the emails are deleted.