Slacko 5.3.3 doesn't see PCMCIA card in Toshiba laptop

Please post any bugs you have found
tempestuous

#21 Post by tempestuous »

Elias wrote:The device is listed - it's a Planet ENW-3502-T
OK, that's a promising start.
When you run the "pccardctl ident" command, can you tell us exactly what information is reported for the card?
In particular, I want to know the device ID of the card - this is usually listed as "vendor ..." and "product ..."

Elias

#22 Post by Elias »

tempestuous wrote:
Elias wrote:The device is listed - it's a Planet ENW-3502-T
OK, that's a promising start.
When you run the "pccardctl ident" command, can you tell us exactly what information is reported for the card?
In particular, I want to know the device ID of the card - this is usually listed as "vendor ..." and "product ..."
Here is:

# pcardctl indent
Socket 0:
product info: "PLANET", "ENW-3502-T", "", ""
manfid: 0x8a01, 0x0100
function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
no product info available

# pccardctl status
Socket 0:
5.0V 16-bit PC Card
Subdevice 0 (function 0) [unbound]
Socket 1:
no card

tempestuous

#23 Post by tempestuous »

Elias wrote:manfid: 0x8a01, 0x0100
Wow, that's an obscure device ID.
But Google indicates that the pcnet_cs driver should be compatible with your device, so I suggest you try to forcibly load this driver. There are various commands I can give you to load this driver, and also perform diagnostics to see how the driver loaded ... but for now, a quick and easy way is just to go to the Network Wizard, click on "Load module" then select "pcnet_cs" from the list.
Does the Wizard now report a valid network interface?

Elias

#24 Post by Elias »

tempestuous wrote:
Elias wrote:manfid: 0x8a01, 0x0100
Wow, that's an obscure device ID.
But Google indicates that the pcnet_cs driver should be compatible with your device, so I suggest you try to forcibly load this driver. There are various commands I can give you to load this driver, and also perform diagnostics to see how the driver loaded ... but for now, a quick and easy way is just to go to the Network Wizard, click on "Load module" then select "pcnet_cs" from the list.
Does the Wizard now report a valid network interface?
I already tried loading it. But after a few seconds the Wizard says that the interface was not found. In fact I tried all the modules with Wizard's autoprobe.

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

Older Puppies used a PCMCIA/Cardbus subsystem called "pcmcia-cs" which relied on the hotplug mechanism and a configuration file - /etc/pcmcia/config - to match device ID's and descriptions to compatible PCMCIA drivers.
It's possible to modify that configuration file to change things.

But from Puppy 4.x onwards, our PCMCIA/Cardbus subsystem moved up to the "pcmciautils" system, which relies on udev.
I think that the matching of device ID's is done within the pccardctl utility, and this is difficult to modify.

So here's a long-shot - I have supplied you with an old-style configuration file which defines your device ID as being compatible with the pcnet_cs driver.
Go ahead and install this dotpet, then reboot.
Run the Network Wizard, and if you're lucky, the system may have autoamatically loaded the pcnet_cs driver and created an interface. If not, manually load the pcnet_cs driver as before.

If still no success, I'm reasonably confident that this configuration file would get you going with a version of Puppy Linux prior to ver 4.x.
I suggest Classic Pup 2.14X -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
Attachments
PLANET-ENW-3502-T-config.pet
(878 Bytes) Downloaded 287 times

Elias

#26 Post by Elias »

tempestuous wrote:Older Puppies used a PCMCIA/Cardbus subsystem called "pcmcia-cs" which relied on the hotplug mechanism and a configuration file - /etc/pcmcia/config - to match device ID's and descriptions to compatible PCMCIA drivers.
It's possible to modify that configuration file to change things.

But from Puppy 4.x onwards, our PCMCIA/Cardbus subsystem moved up to the "pcmciautils" system, which relies on udev.
I think that the matching of device ID's is done within the pccardctl utility, and this is difficult to modify.

So here's a long-shot - I have supplied you with an old-style configuration file which defines your device ID as being compatible with the pcnet_cs driver.
Go ahead and install this dotpet, then reboot.
Run the Network Wizard, and if you're lucky, the system may have autoamatically loaded the pcnet_cs driver and created an interface. If not, manually load the pcnet_cs driver as before.

If still no success, I'm reasonably confident that this configuration file would get you going with a version of Puppy Linux prior to ver 4.x.
I suggest Classic Pup 2.14X -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
Tempestuous,

Unfortunately none of these options worked.

Thanks, Elias

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

I think that obscure device is too difficult to deal with in Linux.
It would cost you just a few dollars to replace it with an alternative Cardbus Lan card, or get a USB-LAN dongle instead ...
or forget about ethernet LAN, and get yourself a wifi card.

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

Hello Elias, tempestuous,

Just trying to do a binary chop here to rule out any pcmcia bugs.

My Marvel netgear wg511-v2 (wireless) is working fine here after disabling the onboard intel wireless. You may recall that one from a few years ago, tempestuous. Even working fine with WPA2-AES, albeit with ndiswrapper [ :roll: ].

This is running pfix=ram, from a usb stick on an IBM thinkpad r51, pentiumM (centrino) @1700MHz 400MHz FSB, 512 RAM shared, 32M for graphics, 533-4g version.

Elias, by your response, I gather you did try 2.14X?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

rcrsn51

#29 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, I found this post where someone got a Planet ENW-3502-T working in Debian using the old-style PCMCIA system.

Elias

#30 Post by Elias »

01micko wrote:
Elias, by your response, I gather you did try 2.14X?

Cheers
Yes, I tried tempestouos' pet in 5.3.3 and 2.14X.

Elias

#31 Post by Elias »

tempestuous wrote:I think that obscure device is too difficult to deal with in Linux.
It would cost you just a few dollars to replace it with an alternative Cardbus Lan card, or get a USB-LAN dongle instead ...
or forget about ethernet LAN, and get yourself a wifi card.
Ok, I'll consider this option.

Elias

Wifi USB dongle

#32 Post by Elias »

Hi tempestuous,

I bought and tested a wifi usb dongle and it worked, but not a hundred percent - after a few minutes the connection is down. Besides this the general performance with this laptop is unsatisfactory. Ok, no problem.

On the other hand, I installed slacko 5.3.3 in a PC DELL (dual boot with win XP) and everything is fine. As a old user of Xenix and Unix I'm very happy using a Unix system in a daily basis again.

Thanks,

Elias