I've just received a Working Hyundai imageQuest W152

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Max Headroom

I've just received a Working Hyundai imageQuest W152

#1 Post by Max Headroom »

that I'd Love 2 Run Puppy on Locally, ( rather than connecting 2 a Terminal Server ), Perhaps from a USB Flash Dr. I've Googled it, But can't find any info on this! Can Anybody Help w/ this? Please... Thanx! :)
Last edited by Max Headroom on Fri 28 Sep 2012, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Amitech SmartClient 1500 (Geode SC2200 300 MHz - 15" LCD)

http://reviews.cnet.com/search-results/ ... 59499.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/search-results/ ... 59499.html

type Network computer
Product Form Factor All-in-one
Processor / Chipset
Type AMD Geode SC2200 300.0 MHz
RAM
Installed Size 64.0 MB
Technology SDRAM
Flash Memory
Flash Memory 32.0 MB
Hard Drive
Type No HDD
Storage Controller
Type 1.0 x IDE
Storage Controller (2nd)
Type None
Optical Storage
Type None
Optical Storage (2nd)
Type None
Storage Removable
Type None
Monitor Type LCD
Diagonal Size 15.0 in
Max Resolution 1024 x 768 ( XGA )
Widescreen Display No
Input Device
Type Mouse,
Keyboard
Telecom
Modem None
Networking
Type Integrated
Data Link Protocol Ethernet,
Fast Ethernet
Part Number:43650
General
Type Network computer
Product Form Factor All-in-one
Processor / Chipset
Type AMD Geode SC2200 300.0 MHz
CPU Qty 1.0
RAM
Installed Size 64.0 MB
Technology SDRAM
Flash Memory 32.0 MB
Type No HDD
Storage Controller
Type 1.0 x IDE
Storage Controller (2nd)
Type None
Optical Storage
Type None
Optical Storage (2nd)
Type None
Storage Removable
Type None
Monitor
Monitor Type LCD
Diagonal Size 15.0 in
Max Resolution 1024 x 768 ( XGA )
Widescreen Display No
Input Device
Type Mouse,
Keyboard
Telecom
Modem None
Networking
Type Integrated
Data Link Protocol Ethernet,
Fast Ethernet
Cluster
Cluster Storage Controller None
Cluster None
Printer
Type None
Expansion / Connectivity
Slots None
Interfaces 1.0 x USB,
2.0 x Serial,
1.0 x Parallel,
1.0 x PS/2 keyboard,
1.0 x PS/2 mouse,
2.0 x LAN,
1.0 x Microphone

Power
Device Type Power adapter
Operating System / Software
OS Provided Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.1
Dimensions & Weight
Width 15.2 in
Depth 7.4 in
Height 13.9 in
Weight 6.0 lbs

"""""""""

FROM HERE

http://reviews.cnet.com/4296-5_7-0-3.ht ... rch%202011

"""""""""""""""""""

Danish site

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debia ... h=20060401

translates as

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 01&act=url

" Re: X terminal client using RDP / ICA protocol

On Sat, April 8, 2006 01:21:58 +0200 Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

> On Friday the 7th April 2006 16:54, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Oh, sorry. You wrote the clearly that it was the client you had.
>>
>> What is your hardware, exactly?
>
> I ought I might have said the same.
It is a Amitech > Smart client > 1500th The running (according Amitechs website) Microsoft Windows ®
> CE.NET 4.1

All right.
Then there are the specs here (found via Google):

http://ftp.amitech.dk/includes/support/ ... nktion=vis

And judging by the picture + specs it's a Hyundai Image Quest W152:
http://www.hyundaiq.com/pro_w150.asp

It is also called "Web Client" or "Thin Client".

My bet would be to take it apart, and if flash memory is something
standard that can be replaced try to put a small linux on a
doublet (just the linux kernel to begin with, you can always
struggle with squeezing a file system into even when it works) and see if the works for example. with syslinux as bootloader.
Does it not so experiments with other bootloaders - and ask if any. for advice linuxbios, it must be experts in the bootloader area.
If / when you provides up to the original flash ram simply buttoned back in place and shit sold to a Windows enthusiast.

- Jonas"

""""

Chris.

Max Headroom

Thanx cthisbear 4 Y'r Reply, aRe U Meaning that Amitech

#3 Post by Max Headroom »

Amitech SmartClient is the same?

Wot I Really want 2 kNow is, if the eMbedded OS can be ReFlashed or if there is a BIOS / Boot Menu?

I've Tried the Usual Suspects, Del, eSc, F1, F2, F10, & F12

Any More ideas Welcome...

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

Not yours ...a mongrel to find...but...

When resetting back to factory defaults due to an out of range
display resolution remember to give the thin client time to
completely boot prior to using Shift+Control+ALT F.

Linux Thin Client

http://www.10zig.com/faq/linux.htm

::::::::::

Holding down the 'G' key

or pull out bios battery

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1319436-w ... os_flashed

"""""

How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

BIOS Setup Utility Access Keys for Popular Computer Systems

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... ess_pc.htm

BIOS Setup Utility Access Keys for Popular Motherboards

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... ess_mb.htm

BIOS Setup Utility Access Keys for Major BIOS Manufacturers

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... s_bios.htm

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""

http://www.bioticaindia.com/amic-a290021t-70.html

Chris

Max Headroom

Thanx Again cthisbear 4 Y'r Reply

#5 Post by Max Headroom »

getting in2 the BIOS or Boot Menu ( if indead there is one? ), Yet...

More info as it's Booting is " Ver: JP040113 "

& " WinCE.net4.1 "

Also C Attachments...

:)K

raffy

RAM

#6 Post by raffy »

Net-booting Puppy needs 2X initrd.gz (the big initrd) for RAM. If what you have is 64MB RAM only, then try a tiny Puppy. If you can put this in the flash storage for booting, that will be good.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

@Max Headroom: I've worked on a few of these clients, the desktop ones, not the laptop ones tho.

What you have is NOT a "dumb terminal" -- that would be keyboard, screen, and cabling -- and nothing else. That would also almost certainly be a relic of the 80s at the latest.

What you have is properly a "thin client" -- that is, it does some proper computing/processing within the box or laptop chassis, but most of its work is meant to be done on a server somewhere else, and all it does is hook up and transmit/receive data, interpreting a little along the way. Hence why the hardware specs are appallingly low.

Mine is a nice Neoware CA19. It has a new (ish) VIA Eden CPU running at 800MHz. Compared to a 300MHz geode, that's pretty dang good. I can't say it "runs" Puppy, but Puplite5 operates at a slow walking pace, if you get my drift ;)

Search the forums for "Puplite" if you want to try it. The actual thread title is "Puplite 5.0" I think.

The way I work with my client (and I had practice on one with much lower spec a while back, it crawled) is this: inside the box somewhere is an IDE flash disk module, usually DiskOnChip brand. Pull that out (this can take a little work) and replace it with an IDE->CF adapter from eBay and a CF card. CF of course is CompactFlash. Before booting the system, run gparted on the CF card in another computer and install some sort of really lightweight puppy. Then swap it over.

For this you will want a full install of something REALLY lightweight. Something like Puplite5 (as mentioned) or TurboPup (which has a LOT of quirks). Akita Linux (successor to Puplite) will take longer to boot and be somewhat slower than Puplite5 but it will run.

If you're a DIY type, get goingnuts' pUPnGO and do some dev work. Use the -041210 version on goingnuts' website if you want to avoid having to reintroduce GTK2 -- he's backported GTK1 in for the more recent editions. You will need to add a lot of programs and libs to make it usable as a regular desktop OS, and it will take you a long time to do it, but it IS possible. The downside is: when you are done with all this, you will have something that is not much smaller than Puplite although probably a goodly bit faster.

Max Headroom

Thanx starhawk 4 the Very informative Reply

#8 Post by Max Headroom »

I am Not afraid! :) ( it's just that I was waiting on Advice re Booting Locally )

I Wunder if the RAMemory can be Upgraded, I'm Guessing is SD RAM ( I'm Sick in Bed Presently :( )

& Similarly if the Local CPU might be able 2 be Upgraded???

Ps I got Y'r Signature & Agree!!!

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

The processor is not upgradable. It's not really even a CPU -- it's what's called an SoC or SystemOnChip. That is, it's really what would be almost an entire motherboard on one chip.

A standard PC motherboard has a CPU and two other important chips that form what are called the chipset. The purpose of the chipset is to allow the CPU to interface with the rest of the board. The two chips are called the Northbridge and the Southbridge.

The Northbridge contains onboard graphics (where there are any to be had) and manages memory. The Southbridge handles input/output stuff -- everything from PCI to USB to (if it's old enough) LPT and COM ports. It's also what contains the motherboard-side drive controllers -- the part that interfaces the motherboard (and therefore CPU) to the PCB on the HDD or CD drive.

All three chips, AND usually some small RAM (as CPU cache) and ROM (BIOS and bootstrap instructions) are contained within a single chip when you're talking about an SoC.

Trouble is, this particular SoC has been out of production since the end of 2007. Information is rather scarce, which tells me that it wasn't exactly the most popular of chips. My best guess, based on two references that I found, is that the most RAM you can stuff in there is 64mb. It will have to be a PC100 SODIMM, and you only get one slot. (If I'm wrong, it will take PC133 and you can fit 256mb.)

There is a small possibility that the RAM is not upgradable at all, in which case you're just stuck with 32mb. If that turns out to be the case, you're looking at a build-up of pUPnGO for your OS -- and you'd better cross your fingers that it will still work in that tiny RAM space once you're done making it useful (at which point it will be likely at least 50mb in ISO size)!

The other tricky bit is that IIRC goingnuts took the remaster tool out of pUPnGO -- your best bet then is a two-step process. First build up pUPnGO working from CD or an install on another PC and keep very careful track of what you are doing. Then, on a third PC (or the second one with multiple frugal installs) you need to run sc0ttman's Woofy tool (an enhanced remaster tool, it's available on the forum or in Puplite and IIRC Akita as well) and copy over all the PETs and libs and mucking around in the filesystem that you did. (Hence the bit about taking good notes!)

Good luck.

Max Headroom

Thanx Again StarHawk 4 Y'r Very informative Reply Again

#10 Post by Max Headroom »

eg Posted by cthisbear Previously

" Geode SC2200 "

" SC2200 UCL-266 "

64 MB SODIMM RAMemory

PN: 304 1001 056 02

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

Hanbit (the RAM company) is a little special. They don't seem to have just a list of specs on a website -- they actually publish(ed) a datasheet for it, like you'd expect for a chip rather than a PCB.

Datasheet (viewer in HTML page) here --> http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 64B4W.html

Yours has a -13 suffix so it is PC133. You can most likely get a 256mb SODIMM of that speed off eBay. Avoid anything that calls itself "ECC", "Registered", or "EDO" -- they will not work. Also make sure that you are buying from a source within your country -- waiting a month AND paying customs duties is a real pain just for a stick of RAM! This is an example of what you should get -- but DON'T buy this exact one UNLESS you're in the States.

Depending on your customs offices' thoroughness, you may be able to tell a Hong Kong company to "mark as gift" which avoids the import duties -- HOWEVER there are two very large disadvantages here: (1) the practice is universally illegal (hence the line about how good customs is) and (2) it doesn't get it to you any faster! In the US it is well known that our Coast Guard (under which Customs operates, IIRC) only inspects about 5% of incoming shipments from overseas, so this is quite easy to sneak past. I would say that if, where you live, they are at all better than that, don't take the risk.

...back to talking tech. You see that pin header with the black box around it? The one marked "CN204"? That is a 44pin IDE connector for (more commonly) a notebook or laptop hard drive. Here it almost certainly attaches to a DiskOnChip module or similar flash disk. If you do a little work you can attach a CF->IDE adapter (as I've mentioned previously) and a cheap compactflash card to it. You want one of two things, depending on space: (1) a short cable (ebay search: "44 ide cable") and a 44pin adapter (ebay: "cf ide 44") that has a MALE end (pins coming out the back) OR (2) no cable and a 44pin adapter (ebay: "cf ide 44 female" with a right-angle female connector on the bottom.

For (1) -- cable or short cable and adapterEXAMPLES ONLY
For (2) -- adapter EXAMPLE ONLY
DON'T order these - they will come from China or Hong Kong! Just look at the picture and order the same thing from a (re)seller within your country.

If you're in the US, I actually have a pair of CF adapters that work for (2). If not, I'm afraid that I don't have the money to ship internationally so you're out of luck -- for a package from me, not for eBay of course!

A CompactFlash of 8gb or 16gb size should be enough here, get a 32mb if you like to download lots and lots of pictures or something. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT get that card from eBay -- the eBay people hawking those tend to hawk stuff with really cheap chips in it that die the day after it arrives in the mail (or worse -- a couple weeks or months down the road!). What they are doing is putting almost dead chips OR chips not really meant for flash media storage into these cards. They expire incredibly quickly as mentioned. If you are in the States or Canada, go to Newegg[dot]Com -- I simply cannot recommend them more highly for computer parts.

EDIT: if you want a 4gb CF card AND you are in the States, I can send you that and the adapter under case (2) (above -- that's the right-angle female one) for free. They don't weigh enough for me to bother with charging shipping. It'd be less than a dollar.

Max Headroom

Thank U So Much StarHawk 4 Y'r Advice

#12 Post by Max Headroom »

Down Under in the South Pacific

I'll Attempt 2 Source an Adapter Locally if I can't Boot from a USB Flash Dr.

Since I've Performed Autopsy on the Specimen, can U Advise if there is an OnBoard Jumper I can Switch 2 Change Boot, USB or ide / CF etc?

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

There's a key on the keyboard for that ;) that is NEVER a jumper thing.

The tough bit is that I've no idea /which/ key. I can find little if any info on that system. None except for what's posted, in fact.

I can tell you that it won't be a-z or 0-9 keys. Common keys are DEL and F1-F12.

Max Headroom

Thanx again StarHawk

#14 Post by Max Headroom »

it Boots 2 WinCE as Usual ( altho I Can't see if it's Reading it as 128 Mb ) I also found 256 Mb PC100 that I haven't tried.

I've ReTried All F1 - F12 Keys, Del, & eSc as well as Key Combos from Links Posted by cthisbear, But No luck :(

This is Frustrating, But Thanx a Lot 4 Y'r Support Guys :-)

BTW the Primary Purpose of this Hyundai is as the Wifes internet & EMail Access

;)K

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

The trick with the keys is to press them repeatedly from the very second you press the power button until either it starts loading an OS or it gives you a setup screen.

Sometimes it's a weird combo, like Shift+F10 or something.

PC100 doesn't usually work in 133 systems IIRC. Could be wrong though.

chiron

#16 Post by chiron »

To get into BIOS or something similar, it often helps to hold down any key while booting, thus emulating a stuck key. The machine usually reports a keyboard error and offers you to start, or enter setup.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

That does work... sometimes... other times it just beeps at you till you let up on the key.

chiron

#18 Post by chiron »

didn't meet one machine that let me down with this method yet ;) Even my stupid futro thin client lets me into its BIOS after a 'stuck key'. Not that there are a lot of settings, though ...