Error message opening MP3 files in VLC under WINE **SOLVED**

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

Error message opening MP3 files in VLC under WINE **SOLVED**

#1 Post by liro »

I have Paint Shop Pro under WINE as the default image editor for JPG files in Puppy (Slacko 5.3.3), so when I click on a JPG file it automatically opens in this program through WINE. I did this by adjusting the "Run action" command for JPG files.

Using the same method, I tried to set the default MP3 player as VLC (already installed) under Wine. However, when I click on an MP3 file, I now get the following error message from VLC:

File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "music\album\song.mp3". (%m)
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///music/album/song.mp3'. Check the log for details.

The program does start though (when I click off the error message) and I can open the same MP3 manually via the program menu and it runs fine.

Does anyone know how I could bypass this error message and get MP3 files to run automatically with VLC?

Thanks.

PS: In case anyone was wondering, I have a specific reason for wanting to use the Windows version of VLC (not the Linux one or a different Linux audio player).
Last edited by liro on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

VLC is available to run directly under Puppy without needing Wine.

I'm fairly sure it is a quickpet, but I'm on a Work machine At the moment and cannot look.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Why use Wine? Wine is often incompatible with a lot of software.

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

There are occasions when Linux does not have the tool/software with the features that a Windows utility has.
Wine then becomes extremely useful in the way that Cygwin is for Linux tools that have no equivalent under Windows.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

liro

#5 Post by liro »

Thanks for the replies. As mentioned, I want to use the Windows version of this prog for a specific reason (I won't bore you with it here as it's kind of off-topic). Anyway, I'm now able to get MP3 files to open automatically with VLC under Wine, thanks to this solution kindly provided by MikeB via PM:

Go to Choices/Mime-types/audio_mpeg

Change the contents of this to:

#! /bin/sh

a=${1/\//Z:\\}
a=${a//\//\\}

wine "[location of vlc.exe]" "$a"

...and now it works fine =).