Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
the last saviour

#3601 Post by the last saviour »

Geoffrey wrote:the last saviour,

That's strange, it seems to be a problem with Ristretto, I compiled the latest version and it still does it.

you can try the new version and see if it works for you.
Thank you Geoffrey;
But it doesn't work.

I think Saluki 022 is better than 023. I experienced 'Flushing, please wait' and then it crashed. I never see this note in 022.
I will try Carolina.
Attachments
Saluki.jpg
For Saluki lover.
Rendering with Fractal Fr0st, the best Fractal freeware in the world.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79422
(127.92 KiB) Downloaded 1463 times
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

shelezyaka

Re: Carolina Linux Update

#3602 Post by shelezyaka »

elroy wrote:The latest update on Carolina Linux is available for those that are interested.
Please specify where is ready for use with ISO Carolina Linux on board.

elroy

#3603 Post by elroy »

The link is an update on the progress of Carolina, not an ISO update. That hasn't been released as of yet.

sakamoto

#3604 Post by sakamoto »

do we have an updated pet of chrome browser (chromium) which runs on saluki 023? thanks

Q5sys

#3605 Post by Q5sys »

Does anyone have this wallpaper? Image
Im guessing it comes with the release... but i dont really want to waste the servers BW to download a whole ISO just for a single wallpaper.

sakamoto

#3606 Post by sakamoto »

Q5sys wrote:Does anyone have this wallpaper? Im guessing it comes with the release... but i dont really want to waste the servers BW to download a whole ISO just for a single wallpaper.
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs23/i/2007/ ... ebel83.jpg

Q5sys

#3607 Post by Q5sys »

sakamoto wrote:
Q5sys wrote:Does anyone have this wallpaper? Im guessing it comes with the release... but i dont really want to waste the servers BW to download a whole ISO just for a single wallpaper.
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs23/i/2007/ ... ebel83.jpg
Awesome thanks!

sakamoto

#3608 Post by sakamoto »

elroy wrote:The link is an update on the progress of Carolina, not an ISO update. That hasn't been released as of yet.
why forking and not further developing saluki? will carolina also have a netbook focus like Jemimah's saluki?

Geoffrey

#3609 Post by Geoffrey »

sakamoto wrote:
elroy wrote:The link is an update on the progress of Carolina, not an ISO update. That hasn't been released as of yet.
why forking and not further developing saluki? will carolina also have a netbook focus like Jemimah's saluki?
Saluki is Jemimah's project and she is pursuing a career and hasn't the time or inclination to continue with Saluki.
So we have decided to move ahead with Carolina as stated by elroy, Carolina is essentially Saluki with the same features but with a PAE kernel.

If you are unsure as to whether your cpu supports pae, type this code in the terminal and look under flags to see if pae is listed

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Pete22

Backup and Carolina.

#3610 Post by Pete22 »

Thank you folks:

tlchost: for your backup plan. I have occasionally done a backup
but I didn't have a good system that actually protected me very
well. I will give your plan a try.

elroy.: Wonderful news for pets and sfs from Saluki working in Carolina.
It's also good to hear that moving large files out of the save file will
be incorporated at some point.

Keep up the good work you guys. :)

Pete22

Carolina's Kernel

#3611 Post by Pete22 »

Geoffrey wrote: If you are unsure as to whether your cpu supports pae, type this code in the terminal and look under flags to see if pae is listed

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Yea! It says pae.

Great.

elroy

Re: Carolina's Kernel

#3612 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: If you are unsure as to whether your cpu supports pae, type this code in the terminal and look under flags to see if pae is listed

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Yea! It says pae.

Great.
And even if it doesn't list PAE (mine doesn't - I'm running a cheap Walmart Toshiba laptop) - it probably will work just fine. It just won't take advantage of all of the available RAM.

Pete22

Grub4dos

#3613 Post by Pete22 »

Did you know that Shinobar has a new version of Grub4dos?
It's 1.8 and works even better with Saluki than older editions.
Check it out and see if it works in Carolina too.

Pete

lanther

pupsave problems

#3614 Post by lanther »

i have recently started to use saluki, only i am about to delete due to a unfix-able problem, my pup save only saves every 30 min, i can set it to 01never or use 200min and it still saves every 30 min, i want too manual save and have no auto save to pupsave.

i have tried updating to newer pupsaveconfig, no good.

its annoying beceause i liked saluki, any help before i delete would be great..

rg66

Audacious 3.2.3-2

#3615 Post by rg66 »

Ok, here's Audacious 3.2.3-2 with mp3 support for Saluki. Made from the Lupu pet with all needed libs added and tested on Saluki 023. Hopfully one of the more experienced guy's will check it out to see if it's ok but so far so good.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cqfaby8lk7dgk21
Last edited by rg66 on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

mini-jaguar

#3616 Post by mini-jaguar »

I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

It doesn't matter that it says "USB DISK". In fact my other USB stick is simply named by its manufacturer. sdb1 (no name) is an sD card which plugs right in. (see picture below-it is Saluki 23)

Although I guess it could be what was said earlier about it being reformatted, as it doesn't show the manufacturer as its name.

I tried to see if this unmounts correctly in Saluki 17 (because I already had a burned CD), and sure enough, it unmounted correctly. It also had "USB DISK" under the icon, just like in 23.

So the problem seems to be the newer unmounting system in the newer versions of Saluki. It is nice and fancy, looks like MacOS or Ubuntu, but it has this bug. I don't think my stick is guilty, as it works fine in about 20 or so other OSes I used it with.

I also tried Saluki 23 on three different computers, and it always bugs with that USB stick, but that USB stick always works fine with other OSes, tried on at least 7 different computers.
Attachments
usbug.jpg
(30.52 KiB) Downloaded 1625 times

elroy

Carolina Linux Update

#3617 Post by elroy »

Here's the latest on the upcoming Carolina Linux beta release

einar

#3618 Post by einar »

elroy wrote:Here's the latest on the upcoming Carolina Linux beta release

I am realy looking forward to this release, I have a few questions though.

Why PAE kernel, i thought that the preemptive kernel was good for multimedia purposes and that the extra memory was not utilized properly in a PAE kernel. Please correct me if im wrong. Its been awhile since ive googled kernel differences :)

Will you make ATi/Nvidia drivers for this new kernel ? Or make quick guides ?:) i managed to install Ati drivers on saluki but it is not strait forward for a noob.

Can you incorporate lameSMBxplorer in to the final release. This is for mounting / automount windows shares ?

Best regards

Einar

elroy

#3619 Post by elroy »

Hi einar. Thanks for your interest in Carolina. However, we need to keep this thread about Saluki. If anyone else has questions about Carolina, please wait until we crack our own thread, or you can always person message myself or Geoffrey.
einar wrote:Why PAE kernel, i thought that the preemptive kernel was good for multimedia purposes and that the extra memory was not utilized properly in a PAE kernel.
From wikipedia -
"The Linux kernel includes full PAE mode support starting with version 2.3.23, enabling access of up to 64 GB of memory on 32-bit machines. A PAE-enabled Linux kernel requires that the CPU also support PAE. As of 2009, some common Linux distributions have started to use a PAE-enabled kernel as the distribution-specific default because it adds the NX bit.

Microsoft Windows implements PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but current 32-bit desktop editions enforce the physical address space within 4 GB even in PAE mode."
einar wrote:Will you make ATi/Nvidia drivers for this new kernel?
Geoffrey has compiled the Nvidia driver. It will be available as both a pet and as an sfs. We're still in the process of finding a solution for the Ati driver.
einar wrote:Can you incorporate lameSMBxplorer in to the final release.
We hadn't planned on it, but you're more than welcome to build a pet for the Saluki and Carolina repositories.

greengeek

#3620 Post by greengeek »

mini-jaguar wrote:I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

So the problem seems to be the newer unmounting system in the newer versions of Saluki. It is nice and fancy, looks like MacOS or Ubuntu, but it has this bug. I don't think my stick is guilty, as it works fine in about 20 or so other OSes I used it with.
Hi mini-jaguar, looks like that might be a tricky bug to resolve. I think it would be worthwhile to make a copy of your mbr so that it is available for future troubleshooting (just in case the mbr ends up being implicated...)

I have had some odd issues with Saluki that went away when I changed to a different mbr (ok, might be nothing to do with your particular issue but just thought I'd mention it).

(If you do want to save a copy of the mbr there is a topic here that describes a way:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2bb53d871f
and also the GRUB wikka mentions taking a backup copy about a quarter of the way down:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GRUB