Java programming headaches

Booting, installing, newbie
noubuntu4me

Java programming headaches

#1 Post by noubuntu4me »

Well this is awkward asking for help, but here goes. First an intro, I am a freshman taking intro to compsci at college. At the beginning of this semester my laptop running xp got a virus and I after trying to be rid of it and failing I switched to linux I chose wary 5 because my laptop has like 1gb of ram and I forget the cpu speed (it is a core duo) and I thought lighter = faster. I also installed puppy to the hdd (and not fugally either)

now For class I have to run bluej a java ide http://www.bluej.org/ but the first time I installed it from a tarball it would not let me type, and the second time from a .deb it just freezes on start with almost all buttons grayed out. :?:

I'm not niave enough to think that somone else has run into this issue and solved it, but if not could somone please direct me to a wary 5 safe java ide/compiler. Of course I have tried a few others... netbeans had the same issues, arjunta wouldn't start neither did eclipse.

I see that the text editor geany acts like a code editor but I don't understand how to make it compile, it doesn't help that I stink at command line.... err, console. I read that gcj or gcc compiles java but I don't understand how to set it up,
I liked code blocks screenshots but it requires a seperate compiler and I still have no idea how to do that.

Heck I've spent all day looking all the diferent things up and I am lost. In windows I was sort of the family/freind tech support/repair so not being able to get this working bothers the snot out of me :evil:

Sorry for the long post, Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated. :D
Attachments
bluej.png
here is the start screen on bluej as it is crashed.
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

noubuntu4me

#2 Post by noubuntu4me »

As an update I got bluej to work a little better, I can now click the buttons, the problem is once I click out side of a text field I can never get back into it. Bluej isn't the only Ide I've had this inability to actauly type anything into it problem :x

noubuntu4me

#3 Post by noubuntu4me »

another problem I'm having is when trying to run configure on something i get a glib-compile-schemas not found error

a google search is turning up very little.

noubuntu4me

#4 Post by noubuntu4me »

well as it turns out I seem to have somehow broke puppy... the desktop disapeared, and none of the menu entries worked (other than shut down) so I downloaded all of my files and I guess I am going os shopping again. I really like puppy but it just doesn't to do all I need, If I didn't need to program for class it would have served nicely. 8)

I'm sure it isn't puppie's fault, I'm just a linux noob, but all the applications not working is starting to drive me bonkers. I guess I need a more mainstream distro. Maybe if I knew more I could make it work but I don't

Obviously from my name you can guess my feeling on ubuntu, but I think I may try debian, is it fast like puppy? I'll really miss the barking recycle bin though :cry: If anyone has any other os suggestions I'll keep checking back.

Thanks.

p.s. puppy makes a good rescue cd easier than dsl-n and faster than knoppix.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Wot no javaians?

Tmxxine Photon (based on Puppy) is what I attempted to create for a friend
It did not work on his machine - only mine
But I got java and Bluejay working on my computer

I have no interest in supporting or developing Java or Photon :oops:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 119#160119
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 339#414339
Is there a developer orientated Puppy?
(with devx plus programming set up for more languages)
No? I think there was? Where is it?

As you are a noob (your Window expert tease[sic] - believe it or not
may be a hindrance and require a period of unlearning bad habits)
You poor thing :shock:
[been there, done that got the penguin T-shirt]

Go for a Linux set up with Bluejay and Java - make your life a bit slow but easier.
Good luck
Puppy will still be here :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GustavoYz

#6 Post by GustavoYz »

Hi.
You need a jdk in order to use Bluej. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html
Also a jre.

Then, just get this version, open the folder where the jar file is located, launch a "terminal here" and enter this:

Code: Select all

java -jar bluej-305.jar
Then follow the instructions. You can specify the dirs slecting them in Rox (the puppy's file manager) and pressing the middle button: it copies the right path.

noubuntu4me

returned to reply

#7 Post by noubuntu4me »

First off thanks for all your replies, although by the time I got them I was running Debian :lol:

I have learned enough about Linux that I don't really consider myself a complete noob anymore. :idea: And since I thought I said I would return with what I found out(but I actually didn't) I figured I would make an update on my situation. The next section will not be about puppy, but the following one will be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As stated earlier, after breaking my puppy install I looked for a more "mainstream" os. here I of course decided to avoid Ubuntu as I just dislke it for some reason, and since I had used Ubuntu at school, knoppix and dsl-n and puppy live cds before I decided to try Debian. Why Debian? well all of the above distros are debian based, and most use .deb packages, so I decided to go straight to the root of it.

I downloaded the standard Debian 32 (dumb because the laptop was 64bit) bit image and burned it to cd and installed it, and I learned 2 things 1. I despise gnome. and 2. Debian didn't want to play nice with the wifi card unlike puppy did. With some research and help from my Ubuntu using professor I did get it working. Bluej was easy as pie to put on and get working, and other than gnome I was happy.

A little while passed and a fellow student was selling his year old laptop, because he had corrupted vista, and restore partition, and he couldn't install win7 from a new disk, and he couldn't use the live linux disk(mandriva) somone gave him to keep him going in classes

So after testing it with puppy, I gave him $100 for it, and decided to make a new debian disk, that wasn't gnome, and was 64bit. After a bit of research of Desktop Environments, I decided on either Xfce or lxde, lo and behold, I found a debian Xfce/lxde install Image, so I burned it to disk and installed it on the new laptop. after I got both Desktop Environments on there I found I prefer Xfce to Lxde, and also tried kde plasma

I decided Xfce was right for me, and that is what I use. Other than the fact that there is no drag/drop menu editing it is perfect for me (yeah I know its probably a config file somewhere in /etc)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, so now that I'm a debian user why am I posting here you may wonder. Well I hope some perspective on my noobish mistakes might be helpful, as my be some Ideas to possibly improve puppy, which is where I will start. fyi I used wary 5.1

1, Sea monkey stinks! I mean dang, the first new software for puppy I remember downloading was firefox, maybe make that the default.(unless it would make the iso to big) or as I suppose us Debian users get Iceweasle.

2. jwm/rox, for me the single click stuff rather than double clicking was a pain to get used to, although right click for "terminal here" is great

3. I seem to remember, possibly wrongly that puppy's office option was Libre office. I don't know why but open office always seems to run better for me(odd huh?) put this ay just be personal

4. Linux users must learn package management quickly. I think this is the reason I screwed up. I tried to work around the inbuilt package manager whenever I thought I needed to. I remember downloading things from Debian and ubuntu repos and renaming the .deb with .pet, and trying to install amazingly that didn't work :oops: how to get software from other sources than the main repo was something I just didn't get (also deleting manually instead of uninstalling via packag emanager is probably what broke my system)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TLDR/noob with similar problem version. read point 4, and don't try to circumvent package management! embrace it.

sorry for the zombifying of this thread though, I hope this helps more than hurts

technosaurus

#8 Post by technosaurus »

I was able to get jamvm (~200 kb binary) running on puppy using gnu classpath packages from arch/debian ... ideally we should build our own puppy-optimized/cutdown classpath/openjdk/harmony for this purpose (any clue as to which best fits puppy?) , but it seemed to work well enough. Then we'd probably want anjuta/eclipse too (though geany isn't horrible for java)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Please java lovers, correct me if i'm wrong, but i've always found java to be a big RAM hog. Maybe techno's jamvm is am exception to this?

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

Puppy derives its packages from elsewhere. Lucid is our Ubuntu-compatible version (so named for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx of course); the newer Slacko derives from Slackware 13.37. Wary and now Racy are for older systems (anything past about 5 years).

You might consider giving Puppy a go again; just run Puppy, say Lucid 528 from CD and see if you can get a Lucid Lynx BlueJ *.deb to work for you. (Once you download it, just click on it and off it goes.)

To change the single-click to double-click:
(1) rightclick in a ROXfiler window, and select "options".
(2) under "filer windows" (the tab its on when it comes up) uncheck "single-click navigation".
(3) under "pinboard" (5th tab from top) look for the heading "pinboard behaviour" and under it uncheck "single click to open".

On the newer Puppies, right-clicking on the desktop does the same thing on an icon as on an empty area (opening the applications menu) -- this is highly undesirable to me. To fix, add this step 4 to the above...
(4) under "menus" check "file menu on right-click"

That should do it for that ;)

I agree profusely with your seamonkey judgement. I'm a chrome loyalist, although what with the mess google is making of it I'm not entirely sure why. Seamonkey is actually a (theoretically better) firefox derivative, but it looks ugly as sin, and as far as I can tell it's not faster at all.

Puppy uses GOffice, also known as Abiword+Gnumeric. The problem here, which you didn't hang around long enough to find out, is that there isn't a truly stable version of Abiword known to mankind. They simply replace the old bugs with the new ones, and from what I hear (I insist on Libreoffice) the bugs in Abiword are generally real doozies.

Something else you probably ought to know... there are approximately a zillion homemade Puppies. We call them "Puplets" and they exist because Puppy's creator (Barry Kauler) decided that Puppy should be easy to make derivatives of. The even better thing (I love being able to say this!) is that there is no real difference in support between the "official" Puppies and the "unofficial" Puplets. Bugs are handled equally well in (current versions of) both. Note that if a member leaves the forum (this does happen) his or her Puppy does lose its core support, BUT that doesn't occur terribly often.

Check out the Puppy Derivatives and Puppy Projects sections for our Puplet selection ;) RacyNOP is an up-to-date XFCE Puplet you might try out. (It's not Ubuntu compatible, though! Er, can someone remind me what packages were used to make Racy?)

One other thing. Puppy is designed to be low-resource. You don't need the most powerful Cray-crushing rig to run it ;) In fact, I'm running an older version (Puppy 432) on a Dell Latitude CPi with a Pentium II and 128mb RAM (OK, I cheated a little -- it has some swap space too). It runs just well enough to be (barely) usable. Very much a "prove it box" at the moment, but it DOES run. Why 432 and not something more modern (Wary 511 would probably be OK on this system)? Simple. 432 has the sound driver I need :lol: