How to use Atheros AR9485 in Asus 5349 Laptop? (Solved)

vtpup

How to use Atheros AR9485 in Asus 5349 Laptop? (Solved)

#1 Post by vtpup »

Well plunked down the money for a laptop (my first new computer- I've always had used machines) and moved into the 21st century with a modest dual proc in a very inexpensive machine. I actually bought it at Walmart! It's an Acer Aspire 5349-2635

Everything works great, repartitioned Win 7 down to a corner of the drive, installed Lupu 528 v5 frugal.

But....no wireless. I thought that was going to be a piece of cake with Lupu, as it had been installing it in a couple of my older computers. But this time no go

Checking the hard info, the wifi shows up as an Atheros AR9485 based pci. I tried specifying the ath9k module, but the wifi is still unrecognized.

I found a thread in the Ubuntu forum which eventually shows a solution for the same chipset here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1857808

but I need some help translating that solution (shown there as message 63) to Puppy Lupu 528
Thanks for any help!
Last edited by vtpup on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#2 Post by vtpup »

Here's the code of the suggested solution:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential 
wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2  
tar jxvf compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
cd compat-wireless-20*
./scripts/driver-select atheros 
make
sudo make install
The main thing I need help on is the first line. In puppy vs ubuntu is that just installing kernel headers, and/or kernel source, and/or devx for 528? Or is it something additional?

I'm assuming I drop the sudo in the last line.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Sure, updating the complete wifi subsystem will probably work ...
but do you have the necessary kernel compilation skills?

A more straightforward approach would be to get a more more modern Puppy version with more recent kernel and more recent ath9k driver: Slacko 5.3.1 will probably do it.

vtpup

#4 Post by vtpup »

tempestuous wrote:Sure, updating the complete wifi subsystem will probably work ...
but do you have the necessary kernel compilation skills?
I'm not sure. I guess it depends how automated the script is, what kind of questions it asks and how many dependencies I have to satisfy.

I remember once upon a time compiling wine for Ubuntu 7, and that was difficult finding all the dependencies, and took hours.

Setting up VMWare Player on Puppy 4.11 a couple years ago was a lot easier I just had to answer a few configuration questions.The script was well automated.

Nvidia drivers were straightforward to add back in 4.3.1 because it was also well automated, and didn't require any dependencies.

That's all I've ever done.

So, I don't know -- do you think I'll need more skills than I have for this particular module creation?

I'm downloading Slacko now, but not looking forward to undoing all the work I've put in so far installing and setting up Lupu the way I want it.

Also would have liked to hit on the Ubuntu repository rather than slack's, but used to do that back in 411 days.

vtpup

#5 Post by vtpup »

Slacko 5.3.1 was unable to detect the wireless. I also tried loading each of the Atheros modules I could find, but none worked. Definitely not ath9k. I started trying the autoporprobe module function to test all modules, but it was slow going and I gave up after awhile.

vtpup

#6 Post by vtpup »

Went back to Lupu.

I'd loaded the Devx and Kernel source shs files. I ran:

wget http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2  
cd compat-wireless-20*
make
make install
make wlunload
modprobe ath9k
Ran the connection wizard and BAM I'm connected and typing this!

No biggie.

ccaaee

#7 Post by ccaaee »

thanks for this. I had the same problem on an Acer 7250 laptop. Although this fixed it as far as the wifi was concerned it prevented the machine from shutting down. It would just show "Lucid is shutting down" then freeze. This was on a full hard disk install. The hack I applied was to add "rmmod ath9k" at the beginning of wmpoweroff and wmreboot.
Now, I'd quite like to make a pet for this module, can anyone point me in the right direction?

vtpup

#8 Post by vtpup »

Re shutdown problem, just found this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77818

haven't tried it yet. It says not to use it on "Lupu" type puppies, but looks like one lupuplus user has succeeded with it.

Probably should be tested with a temporary test savefile first.

Drewcef

#9 Post by Drewcef »

I just wanted to comment that this worked for me as well! I recently bought an acer Aspire 5733Z (also a very good deal, like the OP), and it has the Atheros AR9485 adapter as well.

I'm really new to Linux, and I'm attempting to fumble my way through the dark with Slackware 13.37 right now. I was able to get the wired connection running, but the wireless connector didn't even show up (except with lspci).

I searched for a while, tried installed madwifi (supposed to be the best support for Atheros adapters in Linux) but I had no luck at all. This thread finally worked!

I'm also posting this hoping that others who might Google attempting to find an answer for the AR9485 will come across this.

Now I just have to figure out how to set up the setting for my wireless network... :?

chapchap70

#10 Post by chapchap70 »

vtpup wrote:Went back to Lupu.

I'd loaded the Devx and Kernel source shs files. I ran:

cd compat-wireless-20*
make
make install
make wlunload
modprobe ath9k
Ran the connection wizard and BAM I'm connected and typing this!

No biggie.

I bought a Gateway LT4009u netbook earlier in the week and haven't been able to use the wireless LAN. My quest to get it working led me here because I have the same Atheros AR9485.

I do not use terminal but I figured I'd try to cut and paste. Not that I would have gotten in right but it seems like the location of the driver is no longer the same. I got a 404 code and tried firefox to see what was up. After http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/ the next part is a choice of dates. Which one of these would I use if I am even going in the right direction.

Thanks.

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

@chapchap70: What Puppy version are you using?

Type the command "lspci -nn". Identify the [vendor:product] ID codes for your Atheros AR9485.

Report back.

If the codes are [168c:0032] then your device is likely supported by Slacko 533.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.

chapchap70

#13 Post by chapchap70 »

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0032] (rev 01)

I am using Lucid Puppy 5.28 I think it is revision 4 I used a pet to last update it.

Kernel Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)

Compiled #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST2010

I tried using console to cut and paste the commands that worked for the op but the make command got a bad command error.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your safest choice is to upgrade to Slacko 533. But you can also try the attached PET.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.

chapchap70

#15 Post by chapchap70 »

Thank you for the Pet. I actually had wireless working for a bit before it disconnected. I'll have to mess around with the proper connection. My wireless lan is WPA2 which last I knew there wasn't much support. I was up on another network which is WPA. Once it disconnected, I couldn't reconnect. I'll figure it out.

I tried to run Slacko 5.33 on my desktop so I could create a usb flash drive but just before the desktop appeared on my monitor, I got an "Out Of Range" error. Tried again and same thing. Don't know what that is about but I'm not going try to solve that any time soon. The CD will be shelved for now.

Thanks for the help. I see someone else already downloaded the pet. The netbook I bought seemed to be the best value for the money (200 bucks) so this pet might help a few people.

chapchap70

Up and running on my WPA2 wireless network

#16 Post by chapchap70 »

OK, On Windows, we can cut and paste passwords in network setup wizards.

I just manually entered my password into the Network Wizard and now I am up and running in my WPA2 network. Do not cut and paste passwords on here unless you want to beat your head against the wall. :roll:

comcoco

Can not log onto the itnernet

#17 Post by comcoco »

10/20/13

rersn56

I really appreciated the pet you provided for the atheros wireless device. I know that this was on the discussion group a year ago. I just found it and was very pleased since I have not be able to get Puppy 528 to recognize the WiFi on a new Acer Aspire V5 I just purchased.

This pet worked on my new laptop to recognize the WiFi device, but I can not configure it to actually connect. When I installed this PET and rebooted, the device recognized the device. Configuring by Auto DHCP goes well and I get a message that the "Network configuration of wlan2 was successful". I save it. Then if I test it, I get a message "unable to connect to a wireless network" and when I run my Chromium browser, it does not connect. I have repeated this several times with the same results.

Perhaps I am not setting the profile for my wireless router correctly. Puppy Network Wizard finds this router (Netgear93). I have tried many combinations of Profile names, ESSID, and Shared Key, together with various checks of Mode and AP Scan. I do not know where I should be placing the password for this wireless router--ESSID, Shared Key, or ?. I do not know what either of these means.

Could you please give me some help or guidance. I do not know where else to turn for help. It would be best if you wrote to me directly on the email address below.

comcoco
peter.diachun@gmail.com

puppyto

#18 Post by puppyto »

Hi, I don't know about AR9485, but I have an AR9271, that could not recognize it, Slacko 5.6 and recognized PuppyPrecise 5.7.1, so although I don't like Ubuntu, I prefer Slackware, in my case, thanks to PuppyPrecise I keep using PuppyLinux. Good luck!