You too can install the Opera browser

Using applications, configuring, problems
yr1945

You too can install the Opera browser

#1 Post by yr1945 »

I know that i am lagging a little behind in my knowledge of puppylinux... and, that most of you may already know this... but...

i just stumbled across the fact that you can download the opera browser from it's main website www.opera.com and that it downloads a .deb package that can be installed just like a .pet...

sometimes the menu to launch it is in Utility... not Internet... other times there is no menu item... in this case just go to /usr/share/applications and copy opera.destop icon to the desktop...

dk60902

#2 Post by dk60902 »

Yes, I generally install Opera from the website rather than using a pet. I drag the link to the desktop from usr/share/applications

sindi

Opera and flash

#3 Post by sindi »

I install Opera by unpacking the .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 outside the file system in
/initrd/mnt/dev_save and running it from the top directory (type Opera or make an icon with rox filer).

The latest libflashplayer.so is in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins along with gxine Opera does not detect that as a plugin - why? It find the other plugins there. Preferences, advanced, content, plugins....

Opera 11.52 and 12.02. Extensions not started, in case that caused problems.
Firefox 8 and Seamonkey 2.0.14 work with the same flash library.

sindi

Opera and Flash

#4 Post by sindi »

Seamonkey or Firefox must be present.
Edit /etc/profile LD_LI BRARY_PATH, adding before the final " the location of Firefox or Seamonkey directory preceded by :

I unpack instead of installing browsers. Installing might put the libraries some place already on the library path. Firefox 2 in Pulp Linux does not have these libraries but Firefox 8 and Seamonkay 2.0.14 (probably also 1.1.18) do.

Opera won't detect plugins with missing libraries.
Flash works fine now. I had posted this solution earlier for pulp linux.

sindi

Flash and Opera

#5 Post by sindi »

With the required libraries on the path, Flash 11.2 works with only the older Opera, and in the newer one just shows a black rectangle.

sindi

Opera and youtube

#6 Post by sindi »

I now get the blank black rectangle with Opera 11.52, not just 12.02, in both puppy 4.3.1 and pulp01 (based on 4.2 puppy). Did Youtube change something again? ldd finds no missing dependencies. Youtube (flash) works with Firefox 12 and Seamonkey 2.12.1. Disabling youtube related extensions did not help.