Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 08:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 48 of 110 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 04:35    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Interesting, because I thought Porteus was the evolutionary successor to Slax? So there are at least two forks of Slax now in development?

Not really. Since Tomas is the original developer of Slax it's just a continuation of the original Slax ...... another case of real life causing a break in development. During the time Tomas took a break from development the Porteus developers forked.
So, the original Slax is back while Porteus is a fork.

Oh I see James, thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. I'm downloading Slax now, it looks worth a try.

Best,

CP .

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 07:49    Post_subject:  

I've just downloaded Slax 6.12 and am posting from it now. It's amazing what the devs have managed to pack into 200 MB - it'd no doubt be sacrilege here to say it's a rival for Puppy Slacko, but I feel I should say that I'm playing a music video in Firefox now without having to download Flash first and I wish that could be taken for granted with Puppy too.

Edited_times_total
James C

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 09:04    Post_subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
I've just downloaded Slax 6.12 and am posting from it now. It's amazing what the devs have managed to pack into 200 MB - it';d no doubt be sacrilege here to say it;s a rival for Puppy Slacko, but I shoukld say that I'm playing a music video in Firefox now without having to download Flash first and I wish that could be taken for granted with Puppy too.

It's not bad for something that was released in 2009........ Smile Still holds up well though. The new Slax 7 should be interesting ..... still in pre-alpha though.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 09:30    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
It's not bad for something that was released in 2009........ Smile Still holds up well though.

Yeah, I've just noticed the Firefox version - 3.5.1, and it still works fine with Flash. KDE 3.5.10 is still a goodie too.

James C wrote:
The new Slax 7 should be interesting ..... still in pre-alpha though.

Agreed.

James C

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012, 00:35    Post_subject:  

Trying out Tiny Core .....
Tinycore.png
 Description   
 Filesize   21.2 KB
 Viewed   738 Time(s)

Tinycore.png

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep 2012, 07:51    Post_subject:  

Tiny Core is my second favorite distro. (My first is Puppy.) I use TinyCore on my 1gb flash drive directly
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 07:58    Post_subject:  

Today I downloaded Slackware 14 32bit. I am having trouble installing it in Virtualbox though. Anyways the stable came out yesterday, so i'd thought I'll download it. Downloading it from the website on a slow connection sure beats having to pay $50 for it to be mailed to my house.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 03:47    Post_subject: Dpup exprimo will soon be trashed !
Sub_title: And the following Dpup too !

Dpup exprimo : load dependancies again and again.
Is it a Puppy ?
If i want debian, i use Debian,
No plus-value.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 03:54    Post_subject: Slax and Porteus are not the same ?
Sub_title: I like Porteus.

Slax and Porteus are not the same ?
I like Porteus. I have it on a USB Stick. Very pretty, Well. Nothing to say.
Perfect connexions, sound is perfect.
But... But....
But i am used to puppies.
smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 04:28    Post_subject: Re: Dpup exprimo will soon be trashed !
Sub_title: And the following Dpup too !

Pelo wrote:
Dpup exprimo : load dependancies again and again.
Is it a Puppy ?
If i want debian, i use Debian,
No plus-value.

Except for the speed and size, yes?

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 06:56    Post_subject:  

Slackware 14 running Pmusic ????

(tip : ssh Razz )

Also did a NFS install to my eeepc 701sd, no KDE. xfce is enough for that (and this, celeron 2.6)
screeny.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   49.09 KB
 Viewed   561 Time(s)

screeny.jpg

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 07:09    Post_subject:  

I am still having trouble installing Slackware 14. Since I will end up getting a 16GB USB flash Drive, I think I'll put it on there and use that with my old dell (my old dell got it's hard drive removed).
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 07:23    Post_subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
I am still having trouble installing Slackware 14. Since I will end up getting a 16GB USB flash Drive, I think I'll put it on there and use that with my old dell (my old dell got it's hard drive removed).

I would advise against trying to install Slackware to a usb stick. The only thing to install to a usb stick is the usbboot.img which only contains the installer and some basic tools to get you installed from another location such as folder on your hard drive or a local network location. I had to use that to install to my eee pc and I'll have to again as I'm setting up a server with no DVD drive. I am going to lock that baby down tight!

If you want to persist I highly recommend reading all of the documentation contained on the DVD.

Just for interests sake, I had peppermint on the eee before I decided to put 14 on it. I could not think of a worse OS for a eee! Windows were off screen everywhere. Ships with google browser which is supposed to be netbook friendly. Not this one.

Horses for courses I guess.

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 09:26    Post_subject:  

Well I have the CD version and not the DVD version. Do any the 4 main CDs have enough documentation? I know how to install it but I keep on getting "input/output" errors when the pkgs are being installed.
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 16:21    Post_subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
Well I have the CD version and not the DVD version. Do any the 4 main CDs have enough documentation? I know how to install it but I keep on getting "input/output" errors when the pkgs are being installed.

Input/output errors are either one of two things, a bad burn or your CD reader is struggling, likely due to age. Maybe try a slower burn speed.

I haven't done a CD install in years, but I think all the docs are on the first CD. I don't know how much system you'll get with only 1 CD, you are likely not to get X, in which case, once installed you would need to run slackpkg (after manually choosing a mirror) and install packages. If you know how to setup an NFS server on another linux machine then it should install. You can also install it from a windows share, but you need password-less access, and the ability to mount the CD in windows. Of course a Linux samba share works similarly.

Here a fellow has installed to a USB stick, but he wants to make it portable, something lilo isn't really suited to. Grub4dos works fine with Slackware.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on LQ. It's a pretty friendly place there as long as you follow the etiquette.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 48 of 110 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum