How to configure boot options when using wakepup

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

How to configure boot options when using wakepup

#1 Post by nic007 »

I use the wakepup diskette to boot Puppy. There are 2 stages which needs manual input before the booting process continues. How do I configure the "process" to make non-stop booting possible (without having to select options)?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What kind of device are you using the diskette to boot?

Which wakepup version are you using? Where did you get it?

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

rcrsn51 wrote:What kind of device are you using the diskette to boot?
A normal, old floppy drive. When inserting the wakepup floppy disk the boot process proceeds to a point (I think this is after most drivers has been loaded) when it stops and requests that any key be pressed to continue. There after it stops again for ACPI options 1, 2 or 3 to be executed. I see there is a configuration file on the wakepup floppy disk. Perhaps some entries to alter this? Unfortunately I'm not allowed to attach the said configuration file here. Thanks

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

nic007 wrote:A normal, old floppy drive
No. What is the target boot device? A hard drive? A CD-ROM drive? A flash drive?

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
nic007 wrote:A normal, old floppy drive
No. What is the target boot device? A hard drive? A CD-ROM drive? A flash drive?
Hard drive. The 3 essential puppy files plus a pupsave file are on a fat32 partition.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

nic007 wrote:Hard drive. The 3 essential puppy files plus a pupsave file are on a fat32 partition.
In that case, I wouldn't bother with Wakepup - it's more than you need to boot a hard drive.

Instead I would go here and get the grubflop diskette boot image. It uses GRUB, so it's easier to configure.

Look in the folder /boot/grub for the file menu.lst. It already contains an entry to boot a hard drive partition, but it's out of date.

In what partition of the hard drive are your Puppy files?

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
nic007 wrote:Hard drive. The 3 essential puppy files plus a pupsave file are on a fat32 partition.
In that case, I wouldn't bother with Wakepup - it's more than you need to boot a hard drive.

Instead I would go here and get the grubflop diskette boot image. It uses GRUB, so it's easier to configure.

Look in the folder /boot/grub for the file menu.lst. It already contains an entry to boot a hard drive partition, but it's out of date.

In what partition of the hard drive are your Puppy files?
OK, the grubfloppy boots with the default entries. It does however ask me to make a choice of device to boot to at the start. I've deleted the CD and windows entries in menu.1st but it still asks for the option to be executed (even if only the hard drive entry is still there). Default is set at 0. I changed that to 1 but no change. any ideas?

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

The first two lines are

Code: Select all

#timeout 0
#default 0
The # signs mean that those lines are comments.

Just delete the # signs.

Now GRUB will immediately launch the first menu entry. Note that GRUB numbers the menu entries starting at zero.

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

rcrsn51 wrote:The first two lines are

Code: Select all

#timeout 0
#default 0
The # signs mean that those lines are comments.

Just delete the # signs.

Now GRUB will immediately launch the first menu entry. Note that GRUB numbers the menu entries starting at zero.
Great. Thanks for your help.

Dewbie

#10 Post by Dewbie »

nic007 wrote:
How do I configure the "process" to make non-stop booting possible (without having to select options)?
With WakePup2, this can be done with modified AUTOEXEC.BAT files posted here.
(Even though they're written primarily for USB keyboards, they should work with any.)