Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 13:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 27 [398 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
goingnuts

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 13:29    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
xfbdev doesn't work. Black and blue and pink screen, with black blotches when I move the cursor. No icons and no conky.

Correct VGA mode here is 317, BTW (785 is some sorta 800x600 mess). Not that it matters!

One other thing, there is a tiny tiny bug in your xorgwizard (or whatever the startup keyboard/mouse detection shell script is). It reads "Your correct! My mouse is a [WHATEVER] mouse" for option 0. "Your" is grammatically incorrect -- the line should start with "You're" instead. Again, very minor bug that probably nobody cares about. I only picked up on it because Mom used to be a librarian and is VERY picky about my English. ("Ain't ain't a word!")

The Xfbdev launch script is very simple and does not start icons or conky - it is just an example. Sorry that the Xfbdev did not solve your display problem. And thank you for pointing the spelling bug - I have corrected it.
Does other Puppy version looks ok with your display? Just to make sure its not a monitor or cable problem...looks really odd...
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 13:44    Post subject:  

I can load just about any puppy with the Xorg driver.

Even ran Igu's Guy Dog on there once. It took about 10min to get to a desktop, but it DID get to a desktop! Only unusable because it's meant for systems with real graphics capability.

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2012, 05:50    Post subject:  

goingnuts wrote:
greengeek: Try looking into the /usr/sbin/wireless.sh script. I have been able to connect with that script but it is not always working - might be my wireless router giving problems. Also I only have tested WPA2...

OK, I got my wireless running in a LiveCD environment, using WPA. (I am posting this from Dillo - a little hard to see what's what on screen, but working via wireless nevertheless...) I will post the steps I used so I can find the info again next time:

EDIT: this works for live CD session, but not for installed session. For instructions that work in both live and installed sessions see my later post at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78941&start=136

1) Create a new file as /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf containing the following:

Code:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
   id_str="some name to identify the connection you are creating"
   ssid="the SSID name of your router"
   psk="the shared key password for your router"
   proto=WPA
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwise=TKIP
   group=TKIP
   priority=1
}

2) In a terminal enter the following:
ifconfig eth1 up
then:
wpa_supplicant -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
(this will then connect but the terminal will appear to hang. Open a new terminal and continue...)

3) dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
(the puppypc12345 is the hostname, which should be made unique so each PC stays separately identified)

4) type: ifconfig and check that IP has been correctly assigned

EDIT: I tried to write these 3 steps up as a single script (my first attempt at a script!) but it didn't work. However it turns out that the issue was that the script got hung up at the wpa_supplicant step and wouldn't proceed on to the dhcpcd step. Tempestuous offeres a way around this by including the -B switch in the wpa_supplicant string.

tempestuous wrote:
wpa_supplicant may take about 30 seconds to negotiate the connection.
Hopefully you will see a connection reported, then you can open a second console and proceed to obtain an IP address (DHCP).
It's possible to background the wpa_supplicant process in order to keep using the same xterminal by adding "-B" to the command
... but do this only once you know that the wpa_supplicant command is successful, because once backgrounded you won't see any error messages.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469&start=10
So the final wpa_supplicant string I used in my script (which now works) is:
Code:
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

My script is:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth1 up
sleep 10
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
sleep 40
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
I probably didn't need such a long sleep before the dhcpcd request though. Now all I have to figure out is how to graft this into the wireless.sh script so that it prompts me to enter my WPA key etc instead of me having to hardcode them into the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 23 Dec 2012, 15:25; edited 2 times in total
goingnuts

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2012, 08:53    Post subject:  

greengeek: Nice! You can alter the fontsize in dillo - view here
starhawk wrote:
Also real wireless support would be way cool. Just a port over of SNS would be enough
I am willing to give it a try - if someone could point me to the full source...I did start at it at some point by cutting scripts out of wary but thats not the way to do it...

And here is a new Xorg-pack with everything coming from P412
Install via "pkginstall.sh pupngo_xorg_pack_412.pet"
exit to prompt
run "xorgwizard"
start x again by "xwin"
If everything works you should be in Xorg.
Do not run the xorgwizard from within X as it will fail - only from command prompt.
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2012, 20:40    Post subject:  

If I wanted to "remaster" a PupnGo to include some other feature (like some sort of startup script) or a pet (like a new browser or something) how would I do it since there is no remaster entry like full puppies? Easy? Hard?

(I'm wanting to stick with running from Live CD at this stage..)
technosaurus

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2012, 20:55    Post subject:  

You can "remaster" any squashfs by mounting it
mount pup.sfs /dir
The copying its contents
cp -arf /dir /newdir
Add files to /newdir and
dir2sfs newdir

Check out my manual remaster howto in the howto section.

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2012, 21:17    Post subject:  

@greengeek: here's what I do.

Boot Puplite 5.0 (search the forum for it) and run Woofy. You will need a copy of the ISO and whatever packages you want to add. You can also specify files to delete (there are usually a lot more of these than what's in pUPnGO Laughing ) and you can edit the filesystem.

I've not gotten any Woofy to work newer than what's in Puplite 5 -- newer versions are really picky with USB drive sources for stuff, and tend to fail by virtue of not being able to find the ISO sitting on the USB stick. Weird. (Might just be a hardware thing tho. I've seen Puppy do some weird stuff with odd hardware.)

Of course you can just download Woofy from the Add-A-Pet section of this forum... IIRC it's in utilities, but it does show up in the forum search box.

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2012, 21:37    Post subject:  

@goingnuts: the Xorg PET worked!!

...well, mostly. There's about a quarter-inch of screen on the right and the bottom that the cursor can go in even though there's no picture there and nothing clickable. Hmmm... might hafta figure out where the neomagic driver is held in p412 and lift it out, and drop it in.

But this IS progress!

"See picture for details" as they say on eBay Wink
CPi-pUPnGO-muchbetter.jpg
 Description   Now THIS is real progress! :D
 Filesize   52.55 KB
 Viewed   514 Time(s)

CPi-pUPnGO-muchbetter.jpg

goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 02:42    Post subject:  

starhawk: Looks like pUPnGo-2012 running with Xorg using only 16Mb ram Question Smile
Try to look into /etc/X11/xorg.conf under Section Device: Is the driver loaded not neomagic?
If so could it be that the quarter-inch of screen on the right and the bottom you see is a need for monitor-adjustment? When I change from Xvesa to Xorg I have to adjust the monitor to get the rigth position...
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 03:01    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
...dir2sfs newdir

Thanks. Do you have a preferred puppy that you use for this process? Is dir2sfs available in/for all puppies? Thx.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 04:30    Post subject:  

I typically do my dev work in wary for broader compatibility, dir2sfs is squash version dependent though so for pupngo, I would use a 4.1.x derivative like akita.

On another note
printf is the biggest contributor to bloat in our small command line utilities (thus all the dietlibc compile warnings), so I just finished writing an alternative embeddable printf that you can use in your static builds (also fprintf, eprintf, d2s, f2s, d2x) It supports %s, %d, %x, %X, %f and %c for use in small static builds. It cuts ~7kb from diet and ~12kb from musl binaries. That includes an int_to_string(), float_to_string() and int_to_hex_string() 'a' or 'A'type function (if you don't need int, float or hex, you can comment out their corresponding case statements and reduce the size to ~300bytes otherwise it is almost 1kb) ... float formatting is currently absent so you may get extra decimal places, but at least they print

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80916

greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:43    Post subject:  

Goingnuts -
1) I am having a problem copying data from one window to another. Example: if I try to copy some text from a Dillo window and copy it into a beaver textfile window, the source window disappears. Same if I try to copy from one beaver file to another beaver file.

2) I would like to find a browser similar to Dillo, but with https capability. Do you have any suggestions that would suit pUPnGO?

Starhawk -
does woofy use an automated version of what Technosaurus was suggesting, or is it something completely different? Also wondering if I could use the isomaster facility in some other puppy to modify the contents of the pUPnGO iso? Might that be an option? (I've had mixed success with isomaster, but haven't yet used it to modify an iso from a puppy of a different type from the host machine)
goingnuts

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 11:15    Post subject:  

greengeek: I have observed the copy/paste issue but haven't found a solution. It seems that either the source or the target application just crash. In beaver you can open several documents and copy/paste between the documents works ok. Copy from terminal to beaver also works...
I think gtk uses a different clipboard than most pure X-applications. It seems to be a gtk-to-gtk copy/past problem. Would be nice to have a fix for that!

An alternative browser could be "links-2.3" - I have a static build
at the bottom of this page

Last edited by goingnuts on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:05; edited 1 time in total
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 11:54    Post subject:  

@goingnuts: I'll check my driver and see if I can adjust the screen if needed. (I hope I can figure that out!) I'm running from a CD with no savefile tho.

@greengeek: woofy is an automated remaster tool that takes a pristine iso and makes what changes to it that you want to see (within the bounds of what you can do in it of course).

Also -- for a properly functional links, go here --> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72044

Billtoo wrote:
Warning Links older than 2.7pre1 contains some bugs that can result in writing out of allocated memory if Links is running in graphics mode. This can be potentially exploited to attack the computer. If you use graphics mode you should upgrade to Links 2.7pre1.

greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 12:06    Post subject:  

@goingnuts - thanks. Could I also get you to look at my edit in my post above re wpa connection? Although I can connect/surf ok I have not had any success with working out how to get the wireless manager script to ask me for my passkey etc (rather than hardcoding them into my wpa_supplicant.conf file). Is requesting passkey and ssid one of the intended features of the the wireless manager, or am I misunderstanding?

@starhawk - thanks for the links link. That also includes a good links tutorial link from Don570
Page 5 of 27 [398 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: