Tips to keep the Save file in the green

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

#21 Post by rmcellig »

Here is my latest update. I had to go back to using Ubuntu 12.04 because my save file which is now a little more than 4GB in size is still showing red. When I go to find out what is taking up all the space I find files and folders totalIng wrong 160MB. Shouldn't that leave me over 3GB of free savefile space?

Is there a way I can create a partition on my HD and make that my save file? I could make it 15 to 30GB in size. This way my savefile will always show green instead of red and without all the warnings to free up space or increase the size of the save file.

There is a reason I always seem to go back to Puppy Linux. I love the simplicity, speed and the look and feel of it. If I can get this savefile issue resolved once and for all without having to do a full install of puppy and staying with a frugal install, I will be beyond happy!!

Thanks again for all the help. I have another issue regarding puppy that I think I will put in another thread.

rmcellig

#22 Post by rmcellig »

I decided to do a full install of Puppy Linux 5.2.8 on my Dell 4500S because it was driving me crazy always having to adjust the save file and make symlinks from the Root directory to an area outside the Root directory. I tried cleaning up my Root directory but I was still getting orange or red indicators instead of green.

So now with a full install I don't have to worry about that anymore. Too bad because I liked the flexibilty of having a Savefile but didn't want to constantly keep an eye on my root directory and move stuff around to free up space in the savefile even though I wasn't using up that much space. Still don't understand that if I have a save file of let's say 512MB and I am getting red indicators only using up about 130-160MB, where is the difference going?

Colonel Panic

#23 Post by Colonel Panic »

SFR wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:A thought has occurred here. Is it possible to put the browser cache completely in RAM in such a way that way it it doesn't burden the save file but flushes itself completely when Puppy is switched off?
I might be wrong, but isn't /tmp kept in RAM?
This one could be an option, too: simple GUI ramdisk script

Greetings!
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

proebler

#24 Post by proebler »

@ Colonel Panic
Would setting the browser's cache to zero be a solution for you?

cheers
proebler