Top things to use Wine for

Booting, installing, newbie
rmcellig

Top things to use Wine for

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I am not a gamer so I don't plan on using Wine for that.

What are the top apps that most Puppy users use with Wine? This will help me alot in figuring out what I can do with Wine using Puppy Linux. Thanks!!

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Who knows? What is it you want to run and why can't you check for yourself?

Also, I recall you run a business and if so, doing what?

My regards

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Hi Jasper!

Thanks for getting back to me. I was just curious as to what Puppy users use Wine for aside from games.

I host a jazz radio show at the university of ottawa (24 years now). Love it!! I use puppy linux and Xubuntu for all of my audio editing and recording.

I do have an issue with my external Mic recording in Audacity but I think it would be an easy fix.

musher0

Re: Top things to use Wine for

#4 Post by musher0 »

rmcellig wrote:I am not a gamer so I don't plan on using Wine for that.

What are the top apps that most Puppy users use with Wine? This will help me alot in figuring out what I can do with Wine using Puppy Linux. Thanks!!
Hello, rmcellig.

In answer to your question concerning the top apps, I wouldn't know.

I, for one, use wine to take over where Linux leaves off, i.e. to run very specialized programs that do not yet have either a Linux version or a proper equivalent in Linux. I find that I use wine less and less, since this gap is progressively being filled.

TreeDBNotes, jpegcrop, CatsCradle, Ocean, are examples of specialized wine programs that I occasionally use.

Have a great day!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

Hi MusherO

Nice to hear from someone who lives across the river. I have been looking forward to chatting with someone from the area who is into Linux. I wasn't sure if anyone in the region used Linux especially puppy Linux until now. :)

`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

dunno about most users - mainly some more text editors and a few graphic tools for me

metapad
notetab lite
xplorer² lite with editor²
irfanview
iconsextract
@iconsushi
fscap
htmlcolor and pixeur (color pickers)

niche-fillers to be sure (no full-blown win stuff that's better done natively anyway, imo)

the only add I'll probably be doing for wine is to enable a nice soothing yet interesting screensaver - the linux ones I've seen just look ugly/primitive/distracting... (sry about that, I called myself in for replacement pundit duty such as 'tis)

good gig, jazz radio at the U )

Henry

#7 Post by Henry »

These are the ones I use almost daily:

Acrobat 4 with Quite Imposing, Personal Address Book, Calendar Program, SyncBack, Ocr-Sprint, and RootsMagic

These are mostly old, small, good, familiar (to me) ones I've used for many years. Well, you asked . . .

RSH

#8 Post by RSH »

Hi.

I use PortableApps and different Applications. Mostly Kid3 and MP3Gain.

PortableApps Starter

PortableApps Directory

Portable Linux Applications Directory

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

sfeeley

#9 Post by sfeeley »

irfanview
MSoffice 2003 (libreoffice does odd things to my extensive footnotes)

RaptureWatcher

#10 Post by RaptureWatcher »

i use the Youtube downloader program (all You have to do is open the .exe file in Wine) Wine is great for small file size programs, i haven't had any problems except having to wait 25 seconds or so until the program window appears.

muggins

#11 Post by muggins »

Format Factory video converter works fine under wine. I get the odd message that it needs to close, but it doesn´t and keeps going.

jakfish

#12 Post by jakfish »

For someone who uses a computer primarily for word processing, I find Word 97 is still the definitive application, especially for battery-operated computers. Its CPU usage is low and it can handle anything other than *.docx (which current abiword can process).

I'm a SoftMaker fan as well, but a Wine/Word97 arrangement is still my go-to.

Jake

jakfish

#13 Post by jakfish »

Also, HandBase--an excellent database app--runs on Wine. HandBase also runs on Android, Windows, Windows CE, so the databases are easily shared and without a need for conversion.

Jake

Terryphi

#14 Post by Terryphi »

For me these are essential:

Quicken 2000
Digiguide TV Guide

I don't use Usenet much these days but when I do Agent newsreader is much better than Pan.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)