Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 11:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 13 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Author Message
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7841
Location: qld

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 09:53    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:
subscribed.
I didnt expect Micko to be on this so fast... this might make it onto my netbook which is need of a fresh install. Smile


Well expect the unexpected Wink. Not quite there .. yet.

Looking solid though with some nice new features and updates. With any luck, in 24 hrs or so I can offer a bone.

EDIT: full install is working too Smile .. still a couple of issues but I'm posting from it, so that's how small they are.. incredible the boot speed of a full install, 5 seconds I reckon.

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Iguleder


Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 1927
Location: Israel, somewhere in the beautiful desert

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 15:07    Post subject:  

01micko - finished my Slackware 14.0 porting efforts - seems great! All my stuff are here, everything should work OOTB.

So far it seems nice - the only issues were llvm, libnl3 and GTK+'s dependencies (libffi and libcroco), plus /run stuff - sorted this our using bind mounts of stuff under /var and /tmp.

_________________
My homepage
My GitHub profile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
sszindian


Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 615
Location: Pennsylvania U.S.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 16:46    Post subject: mtpaint  

01micko:

I'm sure you must be aware of this...

Mtpaint (last two versions of Slacko) would not load .jpg extension graphics.

5.3.5.3 mtpaint handled the .jpg's OK for a few weeks (I used it a lot) then all of a sudden, it won't load or display .jpg's again. When you try to load one, it knocks mtpaint right off the screen.

>>>---Indian------>

_________________
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
oldyeller


Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Posts: 822
Location: Mishawaka IN

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 18:44    Post subject:  

I have finally downloaded this today.

It works fine on my Dell D430.

mplayer plays good. Is this a new kernel? some multimedia doesn't work on this one

vlc and xine from slacko repo.

Edit: I see that it is a new kernel and things will not all work from repo, I guess should have done a better job on reading the first post Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7841
Location: qld

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 19:51    Post subject:  

oldyeller wrote:


mplayer plays good. Is this a new kernel? some multimedia doesn't work on this one

vlc and xine from slacko repo.
It's not the kernel that causes problems with the old 533 apps it's the newer Slackware libraries. I face a bit of a dilemma there as if I upload the pets and the new database it breaks compatibility for those who have 533 and want to keep it. I have asked Barry the best way to tackle this without breaking backwards compatibility and without renaming slacko. Unfortunately this was a bit of an oversight with the woof design which probably needs addressing.

Certainly, if slacko development continues into the future, by the time Slackware hits version 15 or so, there will be next to zero compatibility with libs from (lets) say 13.1.

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
oldyeller


Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Posts: 822
Location: Mishawaka IN

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 20:45    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
oldyeller wrote:


mplayer plays good. Is this a new kernel? some multimedia doesn't work on this one

vlc and xine from slacko repo.
It's not the kernel that causes problems with the old 533 apps it's the newer Slackware libraries. I face a bit of a dilemma there as if I upload the pets and the new database it breaks compatibility for those who have 533 and want to keep it. I have asked Barry the best way to tackle this without breaking backwards compatibility and without renaming slacko. Unfortunately this was a bit of an oversight with the woof design which probably needs addressing.

Certainly, if slacko development continues into the future, by the time Slackware hits version 15 or so, there will be next to zero compatibility with libs from (lets) say 13.1.


I do have to say one thing Mick you do a very great job on slacko so keep up the great job. I do enjoy using slacko.

it's a hard chose for me do decide on what puppy to base my next line of Manna on. Slacko is looking really great Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Iguleder


Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 1927
Location: Israel, somewhere in the beautiful desert

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 03:38    Post subject:  

Perhaps, Slackware 13.37 could be added to Woof as another distro (let's say, slackware-compat) and its packages could be used in parallel with those of 14.0 - in the package template, just use LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH to sort out incompatibilities.

Ugly, but that's the only way to go with Woof. Confused

_________________
My homepage
My GitHub profile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 06:52    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
oldyeller wrote:


mplayer plays good. Is this a new kernel? some multimedia doesn't work on this one

vlc and xine from slacko repo.
It's not the kernel that causes problems with the old 533 apps it's the newer Slackware libraries. I face a bit of a dilemma there as if I upload the pets and the new database it breaks compatibility for those who have 533 and want to keep it. I have asked Barry the best way to tackle this without breaking backwards compatibility and without renaming slacko. Unfortunately this was a bit of an oversight with the woof design which probably needs addressing.

Certainly, if slacko development continues into the future, by the time Slackware hits version 15 or so, there will be next to zero compatibility with libs from (lets) say 13.1.


Such is depressing Smile Compatibility backwards or with the latest.
Whatever you decide we all appreciate that you care.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ICPUG

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 1290
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 08:00    Post subject:  

To add to the conversation regarding frugal installs and recognising the .sfs file ...

I have finally frugally installed Fat Slacko on my 1st generation Intel Core i5 machine, dual booting with Windows 7. I use the Lin'N'Win method.

It was the only Puppy on the machine. The 3 Puppy files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz and .sfs) were stored in a folder in the first logical partition of the extended partition (grub=(hd0,4), Puppy=sda5). I had PMEDIA=atahd, PDEV1=sda5 and psubdir=fatslacko.

This is how I have always done frugals, fully specifying the media, partition and folder to ensure the correct Puppy is loaded. Slacko 5.3.3 works OK on my older PCs in combo with various other Puppies.

When I tried to boot Fat Slacko, grub found the vmlinuz and initrd.gz but Puppy failed to find the .sfs.

Trial and error testing found that if I removed PMEDIA it worked. Subsequently, if I set PDEV1 to sda6, (which exists but doesn 't have a Puppy on it), it also works! This is not how I believed it would operate and I don't think it did operate this way in Puppy 4 days.

I have isolated the init file in initrd.gz and started a review. Unfortunately, the 'finding the puppy files' and 'search_func' routines are much more complicated than in the Puppy 4 days and I am not sure if I am up to the task of decoding the procedure Barry uses.

I have since tried Puppy Lupupluslibre and the same behaviour exists.

If anybody has any ideas why I have to REMOVE PMEDIA to get it to work I would be interested but I am mainly posting this for info.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ETP


Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 580
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:12    Post subject: frugal installs and recognising the .sfs file  

ICPUG,

Please see my previous post in this thread and in particular the examples.

www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=652227#652227

You may wish to experiment with pupsfs=

I did send BK a pm to flag that post up to him but have not had any comment or acknowledgement.

_________________
Regards ETP
Accessibility Pups: -- Magoo -- The Pup With No Name -- MouseCam -- Obedient
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9367
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 10:27    Post subject:  

ICPUG wrote:
Trial and error testing found that if I removed PMEDIA it worked. Subsequently, if I set PDEV1 to sda6, (which exists but doesn 't have a Puppy on it), it also works!

This scenario has been showing up lately, but with flash drive installs. The problem seems to be this:

If you tell Puppy exactly where the SFS file is, it looks there before the USB system has properly initialized, and doesn't find it.

But if you provide no boot arguments, or invalid ones (try pmedia=icpug), then Puppy starts its search procedure. By the time it gets back to the USB drive, it has initialized properly and Puppy finds the SFS.

However, I'm surprised that the same thing would happen with a hard drive partition.

If you replace FatSlacko with Slacko 533 and leave everything else the same, will it now boot?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9367
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 11:18    Post subject:  

@ICPUG: I set up an equivalent system to yours - Fatslacko on sda5 in a subfolder. The only difference was that I booted the system using Grub4Dos on the MBR instead of from boot.ini.

I used "pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda5 psubdir=fatslacko" and it worked correctly.

But "pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda6 psubdir=fatslacko" failed as you would expect.

However, "pdev1=sda6 psubdir=fatslacko" WORKED. Because there was no pmedia option, Puppy went into search mode and ignored the incorrect sda6.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
oldyeller


Joined: 15 Nov 2011
Posts: 822
Location: Mishawaka IN

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 11:43    Post subject:  

ICPUG wrote:
To add to the conversation regarding frugal installs and recognising the .sfs file ...

I have finally frugally installed Fat Slacko on my 1st generation Intel Core i5 machine, dual booting with Windows 7. I use the Lin'N'Win method.

It was the only Puppy on the machine. The 3 Puppy files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz and .sfs) were stored in a folder in the first logical partition of the extended partition (grub=(hd0,4), Puppy=sda5). I had PMEDIA=atahd, PDEV1=sda5 and psubdir=fatslacko.

This is how I have always done frugals, fully specifying the media, partition and folder to ensure the correct Puppy is loaded. Slacko 5.3.3 works OK on my older PCs in combo with various other Puppies.

When I tried to boot Fat Slacko, grub found the vmlinuz and initrd.gz but Puppy failed to find the .sfs.

Trial and error testing found that if I removed PMEDIA it worked. Subsequently, if I set PDEV1 to sda6, (which exists but doesn 't have a Puppy on it), it also works! This is not how I believed it would operate and I don't think it did operate this way in Puppy 4 days.

I have isolated the init file in initrd.gz and started a review. Unfortunately, the 'finding the puppy files' and 'search_func' routines are much more complicated than in the Puppy 4 days and I am not sure if I am up to the task of decoding the procedure Barry uses.

I have since tried Puppy Lupupluslibre and the same behaviour exists.

If anybody has any ideas why I have to REMOVE PMEDIA to get it to work I would be interested but I am mainly posting this for info.


This is how I have mine if it will help anyone I just use Puppy no other os Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
title Puppy precise 5.2.60 (sda1/precise5.2.60frugal)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /precise5.2.60frugal/initrd.gz
kernel /precise5.2.60frugal/vmlinuz psubdir=precise5.2.60frugal pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /precise5.2.60frugal/initrd.gz

title Puppy precise 5.2.60 (sda1/precise5.2.60frugal) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /precise5.2.60frugal/initrd.gz
kernel /precise5.2.60frugal/vmlinuz psubdir=precise5.2.60frugal pmedia=atahd pfix=ram,fsck
initrd /precise5.2.60frugal/initrd.gz

title Puppy ov-precisenonpae (sda1/ov-precisenonpae)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ov-precisenonpae/initrd.gz
kernel /ov-precisenonpae/vmlinuz psubdir=ov-precisenonpae pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /ov-precisenonpae/initrd.gz

title Puppy ov-precise530 (sda1/ov-precise530)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ov-precise530/initrd.gz
kernel /ov-precise530/vmlinuz psubdir=ov-precise530 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /ov-precise530/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux 5.3.3 frugal in sda1 dir slacko5.3.3frugal
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /slacko5.3.3frugal/initrd.gz
kernel /slacko5.3.3frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=slacko5.3.3frugal
initrd /slacko5.3.3frugal/initrd.gz

title lupu-525 frugal in sda1 dir lupu-525
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /lupu-525/initrd.gz
kernel /lupu-525/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=lupu-525
initrd /lupu-525/initrd.gz

title manna in sda1 dir manna
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /manna/initrd.gz
kernel /manna/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=manna
initrd /manna/initrd.gz

title slacko-5.3.5.3 in sda1 dir slacko-5.3.5.3
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /slacko-5.3.5.3/initrd.gz
kernel /slacko-5.3.5.3/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=slacko-5.3.5.3
initrd /slacko-5.3.5.3/initrd.gz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9367
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 12:07    Post subject:  

@ICPUG: Since you have the init open, here is something to try:

Line 619 says "Loading drivers needed ...".

AFTER that line, add a "sleep 5".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7841
Location: qld

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 23:21    Post subject:  

Next beta is released.

READ the release notes.

See main post.

Test away and have fun! Smile

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 13 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1109s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0121s) ][ GZIP on ]