pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#61 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk wrote:xfbdev doesn't work. Black and blue and pink screen, with black blotches when I move the cursor. No icons and no conky.

Correct VGA mode here is 317, BTW (785 is some sorta 800x600 mess). Not that it matters!

One other thing, there is a tiny tiny bug in your xorgwizard (or whatever the startup keyboard/mouse detection shell script is). It reads "Your correct! My mouse is a [WHATEVER] mouse" for option 0. "Your" is grammatically incorrect -- the line should start with "You're" instead. Again, very minor bug that probably nobody cares about. I only picked up on it because Mom used to be a librarian and is VERY picky about my English. ("Ain't ain't a word!")
The Xfbdev launch script is very simple and does not start icons or conky - it is just an example. Sorry that the Xfbdev did not solve your display problem. And thank you for pointing the spelling bug - I have corrected it.
Does other Puppy version looks ok with your display? Just to make sure its not a monitor or cable problem...looks really odd...

starhawk

#62 Post by starhawk »

I can load just about any puppy with the Xorg driver.

Even ran Igu's Guy Dog on there once. It took about 10min to get to a desktop, but it DID get to a desktop! Only unusable because it's meant for systems with real graphics capability.

greengeek

#63 Post by greengeek »

goingnuts wrote:greengeek: Try looking into the /usr/sbin/wireless.sh script. I have been able to connect with that script but it is not always working - might be my wireless router giving problems. Also I only have tested WPA2...
OK, I got my wireless running in a LiveCD environment, using WPA. (I am posting this from Dillo - a little hard to see what's what on screen, but working via wireless nevertheless...) I will post the steps I used so I can find the info again next time:

EDIT: this works for live CD session, but not for installed session. For instructions that work in both live and installed sessions see my later post at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=136

1) Create a new file as /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf containing the following:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1

network={
	id_str="some name to identify the connection you are creating"
	ssid="the SSID name of your router"
	psk="the shared key password for your router"
	proto=WPA
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	pairwise=TKIP
	group=TKIP
	priority=1
}
2) In a terminal enter the following:
ifconfig eth1 up
then:
wpa_supplicant -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
(this will then connect but the terminal will appear to hang. Open a new terminal and continue...)

3) dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
(the puppypc12345 is the hostname, which should be made unique so each PC stays separately identified)

4) type: ifconfig and check that IP has been correctly assigned

EDIT: I tried to write these 3 steps up as a single script (my first attempt at a script!) but it didn't work. However it turns out that the issue was that the script got hung up at the wpa_supplicant step and wouldn't proceed on to the dhcpcd step. Tempestuous offeres a way around this by including the -B switch in the wpa_supplicant string.
tempestuous wrote:wpa_supplicant may take about 30 seconds to negotiate the connection.
Hopefully you will see a connection reported, then you can open a second console and proceed to obtain an IP address (DHCP).
It's possible to background the wpa_supplicant process in order to keep using the same xterminal by adding "-B" to the command
... but do this only once you know that the wpa_supplicant command is successful, because once backgrounded you won't see any error messages.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=10
So the final wpa_supplicant string I used in my script (which now works) is:

wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
My script is:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth1 up
sleep 10
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
sleep 40
dhcpcd -t 30 -h puppypc12345 -d eth1
I probably didn't need such a long sleep before the dhcpcd request though. Now all I have to figure out is how to graft this into the wireless.sh script so that it prompts me to enter my WPA key etc instead of me having to hardcode them into the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 23 Dec 2012, 19:25, edited 2 times in total.

goingnuts

#64 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: Nice! You can alter the fontsize in dillo - view here
starhawk wrote:Also real wireless support would be way cool. Just a port over of SNS would be enough
I am willing to give it a try - if someone could point me to the full source...I did start at it at some point by cutting scripts out of wary but thats not the way to do it...

And here is a new Xorg-pack with everything coming from P412
Install via "pkginstall.sh pupngo_xorg_pack_412.pet"
exit to prompt
run "xorgwizard"
start x again by "xwin"
If everything works you should be in Xorg.
Do not run the xorgwizard from within X as it will fail - only from command prompt.

greengeek

#65 Post by greengeek »

If I wanted to "remaster" a PupnGo to include some other feature (like some sort of startup script) or a pet (like a new browser or something) how would I do it since there is no remaster entry like full puppies? Easy? Hard?

(I'm wanting to stick with running from Live CD at this stage..)

technosaurus

#66 Post by technosaurus »

You can "remaster" any squashfs by mounting it
mount pup.sfs /dir
The copying its contents
cp -arf /dir /newdir
Add files to /newdir and
dir2sfs newdir

Check out my manual remaster howto in the howto section.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#67 Post by starhawk »

@greengeek: here's what I do.

Boot Puplite 5.0 (search the forum for it) and run Woofy. You will need a copy of the ISO and whatever packages you want to add. You can also specify files to delete (there are usually a lot more of these than what's in pUPnGO :lol: ) and you can edit the filesystem.

I've not gotten any Woofy to work newer than what's in Puplite 5 -- newer versions are really picky with USB drive sources for stuff, and tend to fail by virtue of not being able to find the ISO sitting on the USB stick. Weird. (Might just be a hardware thing tho. I've seen Puppy do some weird stuff with odd hardware.)

Of course you can just download Woofy from the Add-A-Pet section of this forum... IIRC it's in utilities, but it does show up in the forum search box.

starhawk

#68 Post by starhawk »

@goingnuts: the Xorg PET worked!!

...well, mostly. There's about a quarter-inch of screen on the right and the bottom that the cursor can go in even though there's no picture there and nothing clickable. Hmmm... might hafta figure out where the neomagic driver is held in p412 and lift it out, and drop it in.

But this IS progress!

"See picture for details" as they say on eBay ;)
Attachments
CPi-pUPnGO-muchbetter.jpg
Now THIS is real progress! :D
(52.55 KiB) Downloaded 615 times

goingnuts

#69 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk: Looks like pUPnGo-2012 running with Xorg using only 16Mb ram :?: :)
Try to look into /etc/X11/xorg.conf under Section Device: Is the driver loaded not neomagic?
If so could it be that the quarter-inch of screen on the right and the bottom you see is a need for monitor-adjustment? When I change from Xvesa to Xorg I have to adjust the monitor to get the rigth position...

greengeek

#70 Post by greengeek »

technosaurus wrote:...dir2sfs newdir
Thanks. Do you have a preferred puppy that you use for this process? Is dir2sfs available in/for all puppies? Thx.

technosaurus

#71 Post by technosaurus »

I typically do my dev work in wary for broader compatibility, dir2sfs is squash version dependent though so for pupngo, I would use a 4.1.x derivative like akita.

On another note
printf is the biggest contributor to bloat in our small command line utilities (thus all the dietlibc compile warnings), so I just finished writing an alternative embeddable printf that you can use in your static builds (also fprintf, eprintf, d2s, f2s, d2x) It supports %s, %d, %x, %X, %f and %c for use in small static builds. It cuts ~7kb from diet and ~12kb from musl binaries. That includes an int_to_string(), float_to_string() and int_to_hex_string() 'a' or 'A'type function (if you don't need int, float or hex, you can comment out their corresponding case statements and reduce the size to ~300bytes otherwise it is almost 1kb) ... float formatting is currently absent so you may get extra decimal places, but at least they print

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80916
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

greengeek

#72 Post by greengeek »

Goingnuts -
1) I am having a problem copying data from one window to another. Example: if I try to copy some text from a Dillo window and copy it into a beaver textfile window, the source window disappears. Same if I try to copy from one beaver file to another beaver file.

2) I would like to find a browser similar to Dillo, but with https capability. Do you have any suggestions that would suit pUPnGO?

Starhawk -
does woofy use an automated version of what Technosaurus was suggesting, or is it something completely different? Also wondering if I could use the isomaster facility in some other puppy to modify the contents of the pUPnGO iso? Might that be an option? (I've had mixed success with isomaster, but haven't yet used it to modify an iso from a puppy of a different type from the host machine)

goingnuts

#73 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: I have observed the copy/paste issue but haven't found a solution. It seems that either the source or the target application just crash. In beaver you can open several documents and copy/paste between the documents works ok. Copy from terminal to beaver also works...
I think gtk uses a different clipboard than most pure X-applications. It seems to be a gtk-to-gtk copy/past problem. Would be nice to have a fix for that!

An alternative browser could be "links-2.3" - I have a static build
at the bottom of this page
Last edited by goingnuts on Tue 02 Oct 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#74 Post by starhawk »

@goingnuts: I'll check my driver and see if I can adjust the screen if needed. (I hope I can figure that out!) I'm running from a CD with no savefile tho.

@greengeek: woofy is an automated remaster tool that takes a pristine iso and makes what changes to it that you want to see (within the bounds of what you can do in it of course).

Also -- for a properly functional links, go here --> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72044
Billtoo wrote:Warning Links older than 2.7pre1 contains some bugs that can result in writing out of allocated memory if Links is running in graphics mode. This can be potentially exploited to attack the computer. If you use graphics mode you should upgrade to Links 2.7pre1.

greengeek

#75 Post by greengeek »

@goingnuts - thanks. Could I also get you to look at my edit in my post above re wpa connection? Although I can connect/surf ok I have not had any success with working out how to get the wireless manager script to ask me for my passkey etc (rather than hardcoding them into my wpa_supplicant.conf file). Is requesting passkey and ssid one of the intended features of the the wireless manager, or am I misunderstanding?

@starhawk - thanks for the links link. That also includes a good links tutorial link from Don570

starhawk

#76 Post by starhawk »

@greengeek: glad to help!

@all: Got the resolution fixed -- edited xorg.conf manually -- the "preferred resolution" that the screen reported was 800x600 (as was the actual monitor display res) so changing both of those to 1024x768 and restarting X seems to have worked well.

I have a spare flash drive, and I see there's an Install to USB option in the menus, so I'll do that and make a savefile. Easier than booting pfix=ram and mucking with installing and configuring xorg.

Next challenge: this thing doesn't seem to play audio in pUPnGO -- TBH the only puppy I've found (not that I'm actively looking!) that has the correct driver is Puppy 423. I'll edit my post in a few with the name of that driver (I don't remember but it's in a thread somewhere). Can I copy the driver over from 423, or does it have a different kernel from 412?

EDIT: the driver is "cs4236". I know from experience that there is another driver that will not work called "cs4232" -- it is present in Puppy 420, Akita, and Puplite5. I suspect it's an earlier version of the -36 driver but I can't prove it -- all I know is, it doesn't work.

EDIT2: d'oh! Forgot that this system is far, far too old to boot directly from USB. Oops!

Oh well, good thing I've a copy of Plop Boot Manager!

Er, BTW, goingnuts, your USB flash drive installer doesn't seem to work. I select "sdb" for the install and it pulls up a file-find window with no explanation as to what it's looking for. I think we can call that an oops! I ended up doing a manual frugal install with syslinux. Soon as I get Plop on a floppy, I'll let you know how well it went.

EDIT3: hmm, looks like syslinux hates me :( the USB drive doesn't boot. Was using rcrsn51's instructions here. (The operative word is "was".) I'm just going to drop down grub4dos like I should've in the first place!

goingnuts

#77 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: I will test your wifi script later. I have uploaded a new build of Links-2.7 - static...same place as stated in former post - but with more features enabled. Gmail tested and works.

starhawk: There are cs423x drivers present in pupngo2012 (/lib/modules/2.6.25.16/kernel/sound/ISA/cs423x) - might try to load one of them?
The install to usb works here - try running it from within pupngo - and from a prompt or terminal if that fails too. Not every script in pupngo is portable - but normally works in P412 if every external programs are present...
Edit: The file dialog ask for the path to the iso-file you want to install - and nothing indicates that - Sorry.

starhawk

#78 Post by starhawk »

Hmmm... cs-4236 loads BUT doesn't work. cs-4232 loads, doesn't work, AND won't unload. Oops! It doesn't help that cs-4232 gives a segfault error. Looks like there's a missing file -- snd-cs4232-lib.ko is not present. FWIW, cs-4231 fails with a device not found error (as it should).

BTW, aumix typed in a terminal makes the system pause for about a half second and then I get a # prompt. No errors, no mixer -- it just doesn't work. Whoops.

...one other question: what calls Xorg / Xvesa on bootup? Is that part of initrd or something later on?

EDIT: going to have some fun here ;) I'm downloading Puppy 431-k2.6.25.16 -- Puppy 432v3, running on the CPi as a full install, is a derivative of 431 by ttuuuxxx (I think I spelled that right :lol: ) and I'm gonna lift alsamixer and the required sound driver out, if they work. Vanilla 431 uses a later kernel, but Barry made some "special" models at the time, this being one with the Puppy 4.1.* kernel.

goingnuts

#79 Post by goingnuts »

Try "aumix -h"
if in X and you type aumix the gtk interface should popup...
It just does not work the way you expect I think.

/etc/profile starts xwin if /etc/autostartx contains "yes"
If Xvesa or Xorg is started depends on to which X is symlinked.

If snd-cs4232-lib.ko is missing its also missing in P412 - if kernel 2.6.25.16 is used in other puppys and you can find the driver there you should be able to copy over. modprobe snd-cs4232 does not segfault here. Attached static build of strace - might be handy to track what is happening.

starhawk

#80 Post by starhawk »

aumix -h posts a help message that I've seen before ;)

aumix does as described.

aumix -q results in aumix: error opening mixer as output.

What is strace and how do I use it?