pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
technosaurus

#81 Post by technosaurus »

Strace tells you a lot of information that is going on behind the scenes. You can often deduce the cause of an error by examining the last several lines of strace output.
strace command args
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#82 Post by starhawk »

So I'm supposed to copy strace to... what, /usr/bin? and then type strace modprobe snd-cs4232 and it'll tell me where the magic breaks down?

EDIT: formatting fixed :oops:

...or can I do it by going to /mnt/sdb1 where the strace bin will be, and typing the bold text above and it will work then?

starhawk

#83 Post by starhawk »

OK, got strace figured out. Guess I'm not as dumb as I thought :lol:

Looks like it's just a driver-device mismatch -- strace spits out, among plenty of other gobbledegook the string "wrong ioctl for device" or something like that.

I'll try strace on the cs4236 driver in a minute, and edit this post with results.

EDIT: does the same thing in the same places. Looks like a bad driver or something. The proper phrase is "inappropriate ioctl for device".

starhawk

#84 Post by starhawk »

OK, screw the audio, not gonna work.

A different point of confusion... how does pUPnGO "know" to call xvesa on bootup, and NOT xorg? Even when the Xorg PET is installed by a run through Woofy, something is missing and it still automatically calls xvesa when it should not. What do I change to fix that? (I see no symlinks to xvesa or xorg within /etc/profile -- or, in fact, anywhere else!)

goingnuts

#85 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk wrote:...A different point of confusion... how does pUPnGO "know" to call xvesa on bootup, and NOT xorg? Even when the Xorg PET is installed by a run through Woofy, something is missing and it still automatically calls xvesa when it should not. What do I change to fix that? (I see no symlinks to xvesa or xorg within /etc/profile -- or, in fact, anywhere else!)
goingnuts wrote:/etc/profile starts xwin if /etc/autostartx contains "yes"
If Xvesa or Xorg is started depends on to which X is symlinked.
What your /usr/X11R7/bin/X point to is what you get.

greengeek

#86 Post by greengeek »

goingnuts - I've had another look at the wireless manager script, and to my untrained eye it seems to contain the ability to scan for networks, ask for passphrase, build the wpa_supplicant and run dhcpcd - but it doesn't do any of that when I run it - so I'm wondering if there are some compulsory prerequisites that I am failing to fulfil?
When I run the wireless manager I get a dialog on screen with 4 options - close, connect, disconnect, or change boot options. If I choose connect it says "wireless adapter found, press ok to continue" but if I press ok it just goes round in a loop. (should there be another entry in that dialog, for "scan for networks" maybe?). Im perfectly happy being able to connect manually with Tempestuous' cli instructions but if there is some easy way to have the manager functional it would be a significant asset.

Also - thanks for the links pet - it works fine. It gave an error when I tried to install it ("can't access /tmp/xxx") but I manually copied the files from /tmp to /usr/bin and share etc and all good now

goingnuts

#87 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: Yes - the wireless manager should take care of it all. I just booted pupngo2012 from CD and managed to connect to my wireless with it...so sometimes it work.

You say 'If I choose connect it says "wireless adapter found, press ok to continue"': It should say "wireless adapter found wlan0, press ok to continue" or at least print the found interface. If the interface is missing that might mess up the following call to "wpa_cli -i $INTERFACE scan > /dev/null" which is in an endless loop. Try to look in /tmp/interfaces to view what interfaces was found.

greengeek

#88 Post by greengeek »

goingnuts wrote:Try to look in /tmp/interfaces to view what interfaces was found.
Thanks - the wireless interface is listed there as eth1 instead of wlan0, so maybe that explains the problem? Also I see that in the script there are references to iwconfig - and I recall some comments that iwconfig works for WEP and WPA2 but not WPA, which is what I am using.

No matter - I shall continue with my manual cli and script trials.

Also - when I tried to read the wpa_cli file as text I could not see any valid looking script - it showed something like [][][]ELF[][][]. Any idea what that is about?

goingnuts

#89 Post by goingnuts »

Not quite sure why it says eth1 - have you disconnected all wired net cables during your trials?
The wpa_cli is a binary file not a script. You can use it standalone to connect (as far as I know) from a terminal.
There might be settings in the script for WPA that are wrong - I can only test WPA2 here.
ADD: Some drivers did not make it into pUPnGO which might be needed to get wireless working. I have uploaded a sfs-file here with these drivers.

starhawk

#90 Post by starhawk »

One more question -- where is that xorgwizard mini version that you put together (that config's and runs xvesa)? That typo is still in my version (I haven't re-downloaded it) and I'd like to get rid of it.

goingnuts

#91 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk: :) Did you get the install2usb to work? Anything from your download of Puppy 431-k2.6.25.16/Puppy 432v3 that helped (I think the wireless drivers might be worth a try)?Still interested in a port of SNS (I am still interested in finding the source...must be somewhere out there....)?
Glad you got Xorg working 8)! Sorry about the sound not working... :cry:

The typo is placed in "/usr/sbin/setmouse.sh" - and no need for re download - no new revision uploaded. :shock:

And thanks for all your testing and reporting :!:

starhawk

#92 Post by starhawk »

I stopped bothering with install2usb when I remembered that the CPi is far, far too antique to boot from it. Although I did eventually get Plop to boot the USB disk, the one single USB port on the CPi is USB1.1 at most (it might actually be 1.0 -- the Dell spec sheet is unclear) and so there are significant advantages to booting from CD -- the time it takes to boot via USB is ridiculous. I would NOT want to do that on this system with a regular Puppy! ...to be fair, once it was booted, it was properly responsive, just... it took bloody forever to boot, like 5-10min.

I will note that a USB2.0 cardbus hub I have does not appear to work, although I was mainly trying to boot from it. (Plop cannot boot from devices attached to hubs!)

Gave up on the drivers -- I don't know how a zdrv works, and without being able to unpack it (one of the things I don't know) I can't do much there.

I can try and migrate SNS over from 431 -- shouldn't be that hard since I really don't see it being a binary. I tend to ferret out dependencies by reading the shell scripts that make up so much of Puppy. Easier to find and copy what it calls, when you know what it calls ;) Besides, it's great for learning: you can see what code does what, since it's all so well-commented. Lotsa comments are a big plus in programming :D

...my worry with SNS is that it will use GTK2 and need to be backported to GTK1. I guess I could post the necessary files and let you do the work? I barely know a little QBASIC -- bash scripts are well beyond me! (It's like a foreign dialect of a familiar language -- you can sorta understand what stuff means, but it's hard to get the full picture overall.)

The other thing that's throwing me for a loop tho is how the pUPnGO Menu is created. I don't see a .jwmrc-menu file ANYWHERE and there's no /etc/xdg/ either.

...one last thing. The Console font is still very ugly even when in Xorg with proper drivers and screen size, as if it's using the wrong resolution. Any guess as to what might cause that? (I can post a photo if it helps.)

EDIT: the sound is simply a matter of compiling a replacement driver (is there a devx for pUPnGO?) but I really don't want to mess with that, partially because it's in the zdrv and partially because this CPi is so unbelievably underpowered compared to modern stuff that it's not funny. I'd probably eat up a whole day doing it right. Remember that my ability to compile is basically limited to typing "make [target]" in the Console!

goingnuts

#93 Post by goingnuts »

Thanks for the updates. I would like to look at the SNS scripts - I have started to backport different networkmanagers but never finished any of them as most are huge and spread over a lot of files. So I you have the script(s) you are welcome to send them to me and I give it a try.

pUPnGO can install a sfs-file - use pkginstall.sh /path/2/sfs-file and it will be installed as if it was a pet. And uninstall as well...

The jwm menu is created by /root/pm_jwm_xdg.sh which read through the /usr/share/application/*.desktop files and generate the menu - sort of poor mans xdg.

Not many fonts in pUPnGO - only the ones I could not remove without breaking something :D You might try to put the full load of fonts from another puppy back and see if that helps.

There are no devx - I use the devx for P412 and an additional uclibc/dietlibc toolchain. I have worked on a devx for some time as well as a "pUPnGO-from-source-script" but they seem to never finish.

If you can get your hands on the sound-driver source I could try to make one for you - would be nice to get that working as well...

starhawk

#94 Post by starhawk »

"pUPnGO from source script" ... meaning a woof-like setup?

What would be even better is to be able to generate a 'mock pUPnGO' or 'pUPnGO edition' of/from other Puppies or Puplets.

That would be way cool -- for example, I could then generate a 432v3 version of pUPnGO and have sound work just fine. THAT edition of the sound driver is known good for sure. (I'll see if sources are included in a few.)

I'll get you the SNS scripts and other stuff, gz'd as one big pile so you have the complete setup ready to be PETed when you've got it working.

I'll post again when I've got those two bits together.

goingnuts

#95 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk: thx

greengeek: I found that mp (minimal profit) text editor seems to work ok with copy paste between applications without crashing the source application - still a mystery why beaver and other gtk1.2 apps does that. mp has a different way of selecting text (right mouse button and mark outer points of that is to be selected) but normal shift-key and arrows/ctrl-c/ctrl-v works as well.

Attached tar.gz file - use "tar -xzf mp-3.3.18b.tar.gz" to unpack and copy the extracted files to /

starhawk

#96 Post by starhawk »

cs423x was carried over from 431 into 432 it looks like. At least, the source tarball isn't around in /lib/modules/all-firmware/ ... however...

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... ule-cs4236 should be of some significant use ;)

...lifted SNS from Puplite5. The entire set of icons that should be there are not, but everything else ought to be. Obvious dependencies are iwconfig and ifconfig -- I've not included those because I'd be quite surprised if you didn't already have them.

Also not included is a symlink. /usr/sbin/sns should be linked to ../local/simple_network_setup/sns .

Everything else needed should be in there. I've done my usual trick of preserving heirarchy... files are as follows:
../SNS-puplite5/etc/simple_network_setup/
../SNS-puplite5/usr/local/simple_network_setup/help_security
../SNS-puplite5/usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network
../SNS-puplite5/usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns
../SNS-puplite5/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
../SNS-puplite5/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-buginfo
../SNS-puplite5/usr/sbin/wpa_cli
../SNS-puplite5/usr/sbin/wpa_passphrase
../SNS-puplite5/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant

I did not include ndiswrapperGUI.sh because it does not work. AFAIK one cannot copy or archive symlinks properly, so that's why I didn't copy the one mentioned above. All of that said, once you backport the scripts all to GTK1 and stick in iwconfig and ifconfig (if not pulling from Puppy 420, you might want to double-check the commands -- also I don't know their deps) it *should* work fine.

You get a proper tarball of this stuff, since Xarchiver (no Pupzip in Puplite5) doesn't want to gz a directory for some reason. I've made the tarball in Windows XP using 7zip and gzip together.

...and last, but not least...

THANK YOU for putting up with my inane never-ending questions :D I really do appreciate it, and I am remiss in not saying that sooner.
Attachments
sns-puplite5.tar.gz
Tarball of Simple Network Setup, liberally stolen from Puplite 5.0 (a Puppy 420 derivative).
(158.4 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

Keef

#97 Post by Keef »

goingnuts / starhawk

Sorry to butt in, but it may help to have a newer version of the sns script, as it supports profiles. Barry's blog
Originally you had to re-enter everything after a reboot.
I've attached the two main files from /usr/local/simple_network_setup/

I did try stripping this down to CLI level once...
but failed miserably!
Attachments
rc.network.gz
rc.network script with dummy .gz extension
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
sns.gz
sns script with dummy .gz extension
(40.24 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

starhawk

#98 Post by starhawk »

Hey, I didn't know about that. Should be really useful, then.

Thanks, Keef!

Keef

#99 Post by Keef »

...back again.

Hope this is not too off-topic, but may be of interest. For some time I have been messing with 4M Linux, an odd little distro with an almost amusingly bad website.
Anyway, the full distro has plenty of faults, but I got interested in the 'core' version. 4M boots with just a bzImage and an intrd.gz.
The initrd contains:

Code: Select all

init (symlink to BB)
/dev/console null tty1...tty6
/etc/init.d/ inittab
    /init.d/rcS
/lib/ld-2.10.1.so
     ld-linux.so.2
     libc-2.10.1.so
     libc.so.6
     libm-2.10.1.so
     libm.so.6
/sbin/busybox init (symlink to BB)
The rcS script sets up the filesystem, profile etc. 4M uses 'addons' which are just tar.gz packages of libs and programs etc. They can be included in etc/init.d to be used straight away.
This structure is easy to clone with the vmlinuz and libs from any Puppy - I'm currently using Wary libs/kernel. I did find that it would not boot with 412 files, but I recompiled BusyBox (with everything), and that worked, so might have been a missing applet or two.
I have been using various static apps that have been posted on the pupngo threads, and have got a gui using the files pinched from pupngo 2012. I had managed to get my wifi working (using the static wpa builds), but it's not having it at the moment for some reason. Shame, because I've got Opera-Next working on it now. Oh well...
Because it is so 'barebones' it means you have to really work on finding the dependencies to get things working - the static apps are a great help though. Termcap is needed for a start.
There is no persistence, (no way to save), but it is just for experimenting with.
Might be useful as a test bed, especially for static apps.
I've attached the rcS in case it takes anyones interest.
Attachments
rcS.gz
(13.72 KiB) Downloaded 396 times

starhawk

#100 Post by starhawk »

Of note, one small bit of advanced knowledge I do have is that PET files are basically *.tar.gz (aka tarball) archives with an md5sum appended somehow (I don't recall how, but IIRC the whole thing is spelled out at puppylinux.org somewhere).