gcmartin

NTFS bug/oversight/the subsystem Back-Leveled <SOLVED>

#1 Post by gcmartin »

A request for understanding

Over the past 3 weeks 3 new things have been added to my network
  1. A new TV
  2. a new (really an old 2005 PC) "testbank" PC
  3. a discarded server (dual P4 Xeons)
This thread centers around the TV, its operations, and a single comparison to Puppy's Filesystem abilities.

Many who have families, understand this too, but, something like a "new"TV attracts a lot of attention in your home.
Some of my time has been trying to understand the underpinnings of TV.

This is my first acquaintance of a "Smart-TV". So, yet again, when no one is around (reason: I don't like looking like an old idiot in front of even my family), I must retread myself with technology never seen before.

I've just learned 2 things of significance:
My TV system is running Android (GoogleTV). I understand there is an app for my phone, but, I haven't gotten that far yet.
My TV can be controlled by my voice commands. Thus, they took the liberty to build in a microphone (no camera on this model).
My TV can do something my PUPs cannot do: Read a NTFS "Compressed" filesystem over its USB port.

Yes, this, to me is significant because it provides me a sense of what LAN audience they are playing to. And, where the TV industry is placing their technology direction on. Mainly using Linux to control the TV in a LAN of Microsoft.

Please don't take this as some sort of one-ups-manship by TVs because its not. But, they are taking a very pragmatic approach to type of LAN community they will find when your TV is plugged in.

I really like what they've done. Maybe because its new. And, as all new things are, they are fast at first, but not fast enough over time. 2 weeks ago this system was fast...very fast. Today, I, the human, has adapted and its speed seems slower, even though nothing has been added (the TV has never seen the internet, yet, because its LAN subnet is closed).

But, just the mere fact that someone (ur, thing) in my house takes the time to listen to me, make me happy. I can out of the blue "bark" an order and ... WOW!

I fully understand how Android on this platform is being applied for useful media use. Clever.

I was surprised to see that plugging in an NTFS drive (USB Stick) containing a large Multimedia Folder-subfolders is properly interrogated in the same way Microsoft does. Further, I was even more impressed that it understood an NTFS "compressed" filesystem in the same way my Windows systems do.

Not a bug, but "what is it?"
In comparing this functionality to Puppy, I have never been able to get my PUPs to connect to this USB stick to see its folders. And, I am not sure how best to present the community with information to assist what should be done to access this type of media.

If anyone in the community knows what feedback I need to gather from Puppy so that this community can see this problem,please advise AT THIS FORUM THREAD

Any assistance, here, would benefit all, either directly or indirectly, to the PUPs community.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

1. To get my Sony Bravia smart TV connected to the internet...
I had to connect it to my router->broadband_modem which are upstairs near my desktop PC.
So how to connect the TV to the router?
(a) First I used a USB dongle network interface.
A little tricky to configure the connection using the TV remote to navigate on-screen to the necessary settings...
But I succeeded in getting that done, and for a year or so that worked OK.
But then the TV began reporting that the signal strength between the router and the dongle was too poor to connect.
So...

(b) I bought a Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit.
This has been working really well. :D
So easy to connect the TV [or anything else] to the router, and really reliable too. 8)
Much better than the USB dongle!
I use it all the time.

2. I bought [one like] this Mini HD Media Box.
Here's a helpful review.
It's inexpensive and very effective.
But I find I don't use it much. :(
I can connect this to the TV using the HDMI connection, and then connect any USB HDD or Flash Drive, and use the media box to play pretty much ANY multimedia file type ever invented.
[My TV only played one very specific MP4 filetype if I plugged a drive directly into the USB socket]
e.g. If I choose a folder holding many photo files, it will auto-display the contents of each of the photo files in sequence, each for a few seconds; very handy!

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

In accessing compressed NTFS files,`you could try this link.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://down ... g7-OWCgjog

I got it with a`google search and do not know if there is a version for linux/Puppy though.

Is this file one of those where one saves a movie for later viewing?

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

I am at a loss for explanation.

Last night, I removed the USB (compressed NTFS) from the TV. Plugged it into LH64 and it was immediately recognized. This means the LH64 recognized it, allow it to mount, and a could see and use all files on the USB.

I have NO EXPLANATION FOR THIS BEHAVIOR.

There has been NO changes to either the USB or the LH64 system. Every step that I explained that I followed leading to the USB and Puppy system problem and including the use of Microsoft is exactly as I had explained it, including subsequent testings.

But, after running the USB in the TV for the past 4 days, before retrying its discovery in LH64, I am at a loss for why it is now recognized.

I have not tried to plug it into any other PUP, but, I will assume that since it can be seen by the sytem which original started the problem, I will be able to see it in other PUPs as well.

For EVERYONE who has reviewed, thanks for trying to recreate the phenomen I discovered. But, at this point, I don't know what I can or should do to capture discrete information on what actually occurred with the USB and the PUPs.

When time permits (this is on the back burner for now), I will try to restep the USB leading to the problem.

Thanks everyone.