Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bark_bark_bark

#721 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I have the All CDs except for CD 5 and 6 (those have the sources and aren't needed for installation). I burned the CDs @ 4x or 8x, so it may be the CD drive.

starhawk

#722 Post by starhawk »

Just FINALLY got to trying out DamnSmall (the new one). It's a definite improvement! They need a nicer desktop font, and it looks like they're still using GTK1 (not sure, honestly) but for a 50mb distro... not bad.

My main complaint, which is one I have of a LOT of distros (not Puppy!) is the wireless config. It looks like they have a few built-in drivers, which is nice, but folks -- if you're advocating independence from Windows, why are you still using their drivers for a critical part of your OS? Especially with a CLI tool? (ndisgtk is at least graphical!)

I dunno. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Colonel Panic

#723 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just downloaded OpenSUSE 12.2 (the DVD version) and tried to install it to hard disk, but I found the hard drive partitioner awkward and confusing. There didn't seem to be any way to select which partition I was going to use as my root and which one as my home partition (and to be left unformatted), as there is with Mint. I didn't want to overwrite any more of my existing Linux partitions than the one I'd be using as root, so in the end I gave up and installed Mint 13 XFce instead :)

I think Open SUSE needs more work, and Dedoimedo. who's just reviewed it, clearly thinks so too;

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/opensuse-12-2.html
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

otropogo

Knoppix 7.0.4 LiveDVD EN is out

#724 Post by otropogo »

Have just downloaded (from Kernel.org), burned, and successfully installed to flash card the English version of Knoppix 7.0.4.

I'd been relying on Knoppix exclusively for internet connectivity for two weeks recently, while staying in hotels with only Wifi connections. Puppy was unable to configure my Toshiba Laptop's Realtek Wifi chip. None of the included drivers worked, and Ndiswrapper declared the Windows7 drivers on my Windows installation "invalid". Knoppix 7.0.2 configured the wifi connection automatically.

I went looking for a later version of Knoppix when I found I couldn't access my new camera's 64GB SDXC flash memory card with either Puppy or Knoppix 7.0.2., and discovered two updates had already been released.

I downloaded the 7.0.4 iso, checked the md5sum, and then burned it with Burniso2CD (as Pburn failed to recognize my writable media - as described in the Pburn thread). The verify function of Burniso2CD was unable to verify the burn, but I decided to try booting the DVD anyway, and it worked. It also failed the Knoppix "testcd" function, but continued to boot and load without evidence of problems, so I decided to install it to flash, using a Class 4 8GB microSD card in a Delkin USB3.0 card reader attached to the Toshiba via a Sabrent expressbus USB3.0 adapter.

I chose to preserve the data on the card, and the installation took well over an hour, including the creation of a 2.5GB storage space (needed to hold any new applications you choose to install). Presumably using USB 2.0 would have taken much more time, unless perhaps one chooses the option of dedicating the entire card to the OS.

However, the installation booted without problems from the USB2.0 port, and I was able to configure and save the Knoppix Firewall and then go online with Software Center to install RawStudio and UFRaw to support the RAW files on my 64GB flash card.

However, the SDXC card support was a bit of a disappointment. When inserted in the Toshiba's internal SD/XD slot, the SDXC card was accessible, but in the USB3.0 card reader, it was not. It would appear for a fraction of a second as either "64MB file system" or "sde1", then vanish. Numerous attempts to open the folder failed with the message "..not found".

This is a major disappointment, since the USB3.0 card reader typically reads at least twice as fast as the Toshiba's internal slot.

A 16GB Dane-elec SDHC card WAS readable in the Delkin Card reader.

Despite this setback, I believe Knoppix 7 is a winner. Klaus Knopper has hit another home run after a long dry spell. And he seems to be keen to run with it, judging by the pace of revisions. And I'm hopeful the SDXC issue will be fixed by a new Linux Kernel fairly soon.

Certainly it's worth a try. But one word of warning regarding the flash install - my first two Knoppix Flash installations were to thumb drives with sliding USB connectors. I strongly advise against them, as they've given me hours of frustration. Many times the Bios has simply failed to detect the media, whether booting or not, even though the plug is firmly inserted in the jack. The exercise reminds me of the terrible experience of loading programs from a cassette recorder, back in the days before even floppy drives.

I boot my 7.0.4 install from an 8GB (the minimum size required for the LiveDVD) microSD card installed in a solid USB adapter (the little rectangular box, the size of a baby's finger). Another option would be the tiny solid "key drives". The inherent instability and leverage of the standard thumbdrives with sliding connectors puts both the medium and your USB port at risk.

I don't know if it makes sense to shop for a faster card than the Class 4 SDHC ones most commonly available. In my area (Calgary hinterland), speed ratings on thumb drives have only just started to appear in a few models.

But if you have a PC with an internal USB3.0 connector that allows booting (my expressbus adapter doesn't), media speed might be a worthwhile consideration.

I haven't tried the LiveCD version flash install, but for those with bootable USB3.0 capability, that might be an inexpensive way to test the speed gain, as I believe you can install the LiveCD to a flash card as small as 2GB, certainly 4GB is more than enough, as the LiveDVD installation only takes up 4GB of my 8GB card.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

James C

#725 Post by James C »

Manjaro Linux....... based on Arch and using k-3.4.9-1.
http://blog.manjaro.org/

nooby

#726 Post by nooby »

otropogo , I like something about Knoppix too
so I am tempted to use it as an alternative to Puppy
for to install such Debian programs as MakeHuman

Do you know how Knoppix deal with saving to the USB?

Is it like Puppy that one can wait until shut down or
does it save each minute or something?

8GB is too much for me. I have several 2GB and some 4GB
so I will have to use the CD live version instead of DVD?

Did you join the Knoppix forum?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#727 Post by nooby »

I installed PCLinuxOS on a 4GB USB
and it boots but I have forgot why I have
HWMonitor.exe on it too. Is that something
that comes with the install for free or why is it there at all?

Very surprising to me to find it now I've had that USB
laying around as a rescue USB if something happen
to the HD on that old computer. Did not know I had
that HWMonitor.exe on it at all. I've googled and
find no good reason why it should be there.

Any clue? Does any of you remember it if is usual
them add that program?

starhawk

#728 Post by starhawk »

*.exe is a Windows Executable (binary). You can't use it in Linux without Wine.

Does that help any?

nooby

#729 Post by nooby »

Thanks but Nope it does not explain why they put it there.
I can try to reinstall the program on another 4GB USB
and see if it appear there too. Maybe they felt generous
and included it for to help people out I have no idea how
it ended up on that USB memory. it looks odd and mall placed.

Thanks for giving it a try. I know it is a windows program that is
why I found it odd to be there. :)

otropogo

#730 Post by otropogo »

nooby wrote:otropogo , I like something about Knoppix too
so I am tempted to use it as an alternative to Puppy
for to install such Debian programs as MakeHuman

Do you know how Knoppix deal with saving to the USB?

Is it like Puppy that one can wait until shut down or
does it save each minute or something?

8GB is too much for me. I have several 2GB and some 4GB
so I will have to use the CD live version instead of DVD?

Did you join the Knoppix forum?
If you want to use Knoppix 7xx as a day to day OS (as opposed to a simple reference or demo Live
cd/dvd) you must either install it to hard drive or install it to flash. Otherwise there's no way to save your configuration or newly installed aps.

I've never tried the first, but I've done three successful installs to flash now. The process has become much smoother in v. 7xxx.. There's a simple tab in either preferences or "knoppix" on the start menu. You must burn the livecd or dvd and boot with it, then have a flash memory card or stick available. I don't know if you can do it with a card reader or in an internal SD slot, I've only tried it on the USB port.

When you select "install to flash", Knoppix asks whether your want to dedicate the whole card, or leave the existing data intact. I chose the latter, both because I had some data I couldn't move, and also because it leaves me the option of saving data on the stick that would be accessible without running Knoppix. If you choose the first option, everything on the card or stick is erased.

With the second option, after the installation is complete, Knoppix asks whether your want to dedicate some space for expansion (ie. to hold your configurations and additional apps). I gave it 2.5 GBs, leaving 1.5GB for external data. It then formats the space you've allotted (which seems just as slow as the installation).

After that, configurations that you choose, such as the firewall setup, the desktop configuration, any apps you install, etc., are written to the dedicated space. There's no special save procedure. I don't know yet whether there is any option to expand the dedicated space if you need more space, so it's best not to be too stingy.

With the LiveCD version, you should have plenty of room left on a 4GB card. A 2GB card may be a bit tight. Prices are dropping quickly on these items here, probably because people are becoming aware of the speed factor due to the spread of USB3.0. A flyer from Staples I got this week advertises an 8GB CoreMicor USB drive for $4.25. A friend tried the 7.0.4 LiveCD and found it lacked too many apps that he needed, and switched to the LiveDVD version. So if you can find an affordable 8GB thumb drive, it would be much preferable. An SD or microSD card may also work, but it could depend on the adapter used to connect to the USB jack. I haven't tried booting from a card reader on the USB port, only a straight-though USB adapter. I do know I can't boot my laptop from the SD/XD card slot, nor from a card reader attached to the expressbus USB3.0 adapter. But I believe this is a BIOS limitation.

And yes, I'm registered in the Knoppix forum. It's not terribly busy, but Klaus Knopper is definitely monitoring it, as are one or two other knowledgeable users. There are even users using much older versions of Knoppix still getting support there.

Although I've posted to the German forum a few times, I only do this if I can't get a response on the English one. Klaus and at least one of the other German regulars follow and respond to postings on the English forum as well as the German one.

If you have a problem registering, as has happened to me a couple of times over the years, send an e-mail to the moderator, and it will be fixed in a day or two. If not, drop me a line, and I'll try to help.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Smithy

#731 Post by Smithy »

That Tiny Core looks interesting, wonder if anyone has knocked up the realtime kernel into something usable.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux ... rt-kernel/

nooby

#732 Post by nooby »

Thanks otropogo I have several 4GB so
I want to use them and spare the higher
16GB and 32GB for more important things :)
Yes them are much cheaper now here too.

bark_bark_bark

#733 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I finally got Slackware 14 to install (this time on my Dell Optiplex GX1). This time I downloaded the x86 DVD version and installed it from my USB Drive by following Alien Bob's tutorial for Windows users.

jakfish

Low Resource/Low Temperature Distro?

#734 Post by jakfish »

Looking for a frugal install/class10 SD card of cool-temperature linux. Regardless of the distros I've tried so far, my Lenovo S10-3t netbook burns at about 55C, which automatically sends the internal fan into hysteria. In turn, this depletes the battery.

Pemasu's dpup exprimo 5.1x, w/ its older kernel, burns the coolest, but it's still 7-10 degrees hotter than Windows 7. (Ubuntu and Mint are the hottest in my testing; even Knoppix 7.04 burns 60C +)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jake

sickgut

#735 Post by sickgut »

starhawk wrote:Just FINALLY got to trying out DamnSmall (the new one). It's a definite improvement! They need a nicer desktop font, and it looks like they're still using GTK1 (not sure, honestly) but for a 50mb distro... not bad.

My main complaint, which is one I have of a LOT of distros (not Puppy!) is the wireless config. It looks like they have a few built-in drivers, which is nice, but folks -- if you're advocating independence from Windows, why are you still using their drivers for a critical part of your OS? Especially with a CLI tool? (ndisgtk is at least graphical!)

I dunno. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Its the supporting infrastructure that is way to big for a 50mb distro... all the graphical network managers available for debian for example need 75 MB of dependencies. You cant have that with a 50mb distro. Even an ncurses console/ terminal network client that lets you set all the options you find in the graphical ones are stupidly large with only a few MB saved by not going the X11 graphical alternative.

However if your using a desktop computer at home you can use a cable and let the auto detecting dhcp over ethernet do all the work.

However, firmware is firmware and drivers are drivers... there isnt a whole lot you can do to slim down firmware and or drivers. They cant afford to have 30mb worth of wifi drivers and wifi firmware in a 50mb OS.
Its annoying how they artificially deflate the size of the OS by forcing people to use ndiswrapper or similar drivers as once you hunt the correct driver down and use it, you are in effect adding to the size of the OS by using an external driver. But i spose DSL was never meant to be practical just an experiment to see what you can do with 50mb even if that requires you to use windows drivers to keep the size of the iso/ download to 50mb

DSL was the 2nd linux i used in the mid 2000's due to its small download size as i was using dial up internet then. The whole thing is full of mediocre apps that the desktop user will find completely inadequate. However, the only reason i tried DSL was to run a dead-souls MUD text game server and it did that ok.... after i downloaded an extra 120mb of dependencies so i could compile the damn thing. You could get Puppy with devx installed that did the job the same and it was smaller than the 50mb DSL + 120mb build development kit.

Colonel Panic

#736 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've tried DSL too and I agree about the inadequacy of the apps. It's the reason Feather was created (now sadly defunct).

From memory there's a variant of DSL which has abiword and gnumeric (and I believe firefox too) and is a bit bigger than DSL. TBH though I can't see why anyone would want to use it in preference to Puppy, or Puppy Turbo / Turbo Extreme if you have a very old machine.

Anyway, I'm now using the latest version of OS4 (which used to be PC/OS), which is based on Xubuntu but with a few extra bells and whistles. It's working well and seems an all-round solid package; the only downside I can see so far is that the default colours aren't to my liking.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#737 Post by Colonel Panic »

I tried to cut and paste some text into Abiword in OS4, which promptly crashed. I'm afraid I said a rude word, which I'm not going to repeat here :)

What a pity though when a distro goes out with buggy software.

starhawk

#738 Post by starhawk »

From what I hear, Abiword's not released a stable version yet. I'm not able to verify that -- I refuse to use it from all the bug reports on these very forums. I use LibreOffice on systems that will support it and OOoLight on the rest.

bark_bark_bark

#739 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am trying out a homebrew linux for the Playstation 2. The Sony one is old and costs too much money, but the "official" homebrew one is free and opensource like a linux distro should be (which most are).

I had to do a lot of work to find a Hard Drive that fits with my PS2 network adapter. I also had to do a lot of work to get it to work with homebrew apps.

But once I get a black dvd plus a PS2 hard drive loader, I can use it.

Colonel Panic

#740 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:From what I hear, Abiword's not released a stable version yet. I'm not able to verify that -- I refuse to use it from all the bug reports on these very forums. I use LibreOffice on systems that will support it and OOoLight on the rest.
I think Abiword's stability has got worse recently. A shame, because I really like the program; it does everything I want a word processor to do in a fairly lightweight package.

(So why not just use an old version?; the later versions will open Open Office files properly, which the earlier ones won't.)

LibreOffice is great, I agree, but it takes much longer to load and open a file than Abiword does.

I might give OOoLight a look, especially if it comes with a spell checker (I need one in a word processor, because my eyesight's not that great and I miss spelling mistakes otherwise).