The xPad CPU could RUN Puppy LInux

News, happenings
jpeps

#21 Post by jpeps »

HP basically killed off palm and webOS after acquiring it. Verizon no longer even carries it. We've already got linux based devices with quad core processors.

HP leading the way????

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-10 ... -pc-market

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

I have Verizon for my Internet and could spin you quite a rant if it were on topic -- it's not.

What is on-topic is this: officially, Verizon does not support Linux. What they do is one of two things. On older 'Net devices that need VZAccess Manager (the Windows and sometimes-Mac application for activating and connecting) they don't support it at all. On newer 'Net devices, you just power up your device and away it goes without much trouble.

We have 2 MiFi devices, an old one that has been deactivated (MiFi 2200, needs activation and VZAccess Mgr) and a newer one (MiFi 4620L, self-activates, no need for VZAccess Mgr). We also have a nearly-antique USB stick-modem for backup (Pantech UM175VW, needs activation and VZAccess Mgr). Although one can use --once activated-- the MiFi2200 or Pantech UM175VW on Linux (I've done it, PupDial works for this) as they accept the AT Command Set... you cannot activate them on Linux because the companies do not release the full commandset so it's impossible to know without blackboxing or reverse-engineering what works to activate the blasted thing and how.

...a note about the PupDial mention. Verizon uses a dialup model with these things -- the modem connects to Verizon's servers by 'dialing' #777 and sending along a username and password. I've forgotten both for the MiFi and Pantech, but it's not hard to look up on Google. It's pretty simple stuff, though, specific only to make/model of modem -- not individualized to the customer at all.

jpeps

#23 Post by jpeps »

starhawk wrote:I have Verizon for my Internet and could spin you quite a rant if it were on topic -- it's not.

What is on-topic is this: officially, Verizon does not support Linux.
...not sure what you mean by "support." They carry a full line of android devices..both tablets (eg, Toshiba) and smartphones (LG, etc....)

starhawk

#24 Post by starhawk »

With 'wireless hotspots' as they call their Internet devices, if you use them on Linux, they cannot and will not help you with any issues you might have. It's not an outright warranty-voider, but it's pretty close.

Also, I do not consider Android to be a form of Linux. If you dig far enough into the filesystems (yes, it has multiple FS in it) you'll find a Linux Kernel somewhere, BUT everything else is so completely different that it's not really in the spirit of Linux at all.

I'll reconsider my position on Android if and when most Android drivers work on Linux, particularly the GPU drivers. Until then... no.

jpeps

#25 Post by jpeps »

starhawk wrote:
Also, I do not consider Android to be a form of Linux. If you dig far enough into the filesystems (yes, it has multiple FS in it) you'll find a Linux Kernel somewhere, BUT everything else is so completely different that it's not really in the spirit of Linux at all
If you root the device, you can do whatever you like with it. I can do terminal bash scripting on mine using a vim editor. After all, it IS a linux system. There are some real differences that are best handled by adopting a language that suits the device.

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

OK, so it has a Linux Kernel and bash.

That's the only parts of it that I see that are real Linux built in. (I assume you added vim later.) Everything else is Java on top of the kernel and therefore is COMPLETELY alien to Linux.

...further, as noted, Android drivers generally do not work in Linux. GPU drivers are particularly incompatible, I hear.

My statement stands.

linuxbear

#27 Post by linuxbear »

Android is a window manager which sits on top of Linux. Puppy has different window managers which sit on top of Linux. Linux does not care if the WM is written in C.xx or Java. I suppose if they wanted to, Apple could put Mac Os on top of Linux rather than UNIX.

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

Android is NOT just a wm.

Read this (link below). I disagree with the title, because of the contents, but it is there and will remain because that's how Wikipedia is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(o ... tem)#Linux

Normally I'd put a quote up, but I'd have to quote that whole section and I'm not gonna do that.

gcmartin

WebOS

#29 Post by gcmartin »

HP Product manager delivered the WebOS announcement presentation. Yes, it was built, and funded by HP. (Should make you wonder as it did many members of the audience)

They are position, should they take this further to bring out a whole new product line. But, he did NOT comment (pre-announce) although he did share how simple they have made this to run on every known platform that they see promise on.

AND, IT IS ON THEIR WEBSITE FOR WEBOS. I was pleased to here that it runs on HP's Touchsmart series and is only a simple download away. This means that as they stand back watching Microsoft's Surface, they "could" in a stroke of a pen bring out an HP tablet based on WebOS.

For now, though, they only share that it is out of beta and available for Public use. (I was/am not aware of how connected this OS is to Linux). Further there is an active forum on this (reading between the lines, from now until 2013, HP techs will be backgrounding this forum to meet community needs.) To me, this is a free OS that should it have a 4G radio, it would rival iPad/xPad/Phones, etc.

Here to help

jpeps

#30 Post by jpeps »

No devices have picked it up yet, but looks like they're hoping to market a cloud service.

"At this point it’s unclear whether Open webOS has much of a future — but HP isn’t focusing much on the operating system’s past. While it looks and feels a lot like the webOS 3.0 operating system that was released with the launch of the HP TouchPad tablet last year, Open webOS 1.0 won’t run on the TouchPad. It also won’t work on the Palm Pre, Veer, or Pixi smartphones.

That doesn’t mean independent developers won’t find a way to port the operating system to run on those devices, but HP isn’t promising any assistance."

http://liliputing.com/2012/09/hp-releas ... s-1-0.html

gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote: ... That doesn’t mean independent developers won’t find a way to port the operating system to run on those devices, but HP isn’t promising any assistance." ...
The product manager seemed to imply that there is current support (I think forum) that provides assistance.

But, I must wait for the HP TouchSmart that I am expecting to purchase soon.

You share that it does not run on these devices and yet he implied that it does. I'll try to contact him for more definitive position of what WebOS (GA version intends and where support questions can be answered.)

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 16:41, edited 2 times in total.

jpeps

#32 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
You share that it does not run on these devices and yet he implied that it does. I'll try to contact him for more definitive position of what WebOS (GA version intends and where support questions can be answered.)
Personally I don't know; that was a quote from the review.

gcmartin

WebOS

#33 Post by gcmartin »

Summary of WebOS and its development assistance
AND
Official HP supported site for WebOS

I would recommend that you start with the Summary, above, then progress to the Official site which has comprehensive support (forum) and what experience you can expect.

HP's site showing its progression from Palm to WebOS "Community". Click Community.

Here to help

jpeps

#34 Post by jpeps »

BTW/ the review noted the TouchPad isn't supported. They have it running on the their TouchSmart. They're hoping that other developers will include it on mobile devices.

gcmartin

#36 Post by gcmartin »

Everyone, by now, should have seen the "Surface". It has a processor that appears to be able to run a PUP should one want.

Problem: How to root this to allow a different OS to boot?

Also, expect that should you be able to run "full" Windows8 there is virtual host technology that might offers some additional OS options via your Surface.

Off and running. xPads....I should begin to reference these as Xphones and Xpads for what 2013 is leading us toward....the future as our lives are moving to the future as well.

Here to help

jpeps

#37 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:....the future as our lives are moving to the future as well.
???

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#38 Post by Lobster »

Fellow future dwellers,

Puppy supports x86, now
Woof also is beginning to support ARM
We have Puppy running on 3 (I think it is) different ARM chips
Potentially it could also run on MIPS/Dragon chips being used internally in China
The developments in one woof improve the others.

I am spending practically all my time on an ARM powered pad. I do not expect or even think I want Puppy on it, it would requiring jailbreaking.

However our steam powered desktops will be eventually out of date when pads are cheap, have long battery lives and include a keyboard in the cover. That time is not yet here.

The ARM chip is a wonderfully simple design, ideally suited to running a small innovative OS.
There is a lot still to do. touch screen support. Android app support and a simplified interface that will run on 3 devices:

Desktop
Xpad
and phone

The merger, the gray area between phone and pad is now occurring . . .

jpeps

#39 Post by jpeps »

Lobster wrote:
The merger, the gray area between phone and pad is now occurring . . .
The same apps will run on any android device.

gcmartin

#40 Post by gcmartin »

jpeps wrote:The same apps will run on any android device.
I'm not entirely sure this is true. Seems some for TV do not run on Xphones/Xpads and vice-versa.

Just a word of caution.

Here to help