PUPPY SAMBA as a File Server to Windows PCs on a small LAN

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

#41 Post by gcmartin »

Yes, there are several very good solutions in the Linux Distro world which are suitably great implementation of SAMBA solutions; everything from simple workstation implementations that we get from Microsoft and Apple to increased functionslity that come with the use of SAMBA features to control and manage information in your LAN.

For those who are interested in what is offered by @Laszlok53 , PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE VERY TOP BANNER AT THIS WEBSITE! iTS important.

If anyone wants other SAMBA recommendations I have tested over the years, PM me because its outside of the scope of the thread and this forum area.

Here to help

laszlok53

#42 Post by laszlok53 »

gcmartin wrote:Yes, there are several very good solutions in the Linux Distro world which are suitably great implementation of SAMBA solutions; everything from simple workstation implementations that we get from Microsoft and Apple to increased functionslity that come with the use of SAMBA features to control and manage information in your LAN.

For those who are interested in what is offered by @Laszlok53 , PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE VERY TOP BANNER AT THIS WEBSITE! iTS important.

If anyone wants other SAMBA recommendations I have tested over the years, PM me because its outside of the scope of the thread and this forum area.

Here to help
OMG

3 days after I found them they CLOSE???
Now I have to see if I can manage it as is, or look for an other solution.
Thank you for pointing this out for me!
And yes, be sure I'll PM you on this kind of issues, I mean SAMBA stuff, because my wish is that in spite of my limited knowledge in Linux, I'd like to give it a go wherever it can replace M$ stuff.
Again, THANK YOU!

Cheers

/ Laszlo

whatupuppy

#43 Post by whatupuppy »

Hello, I just ran across this post and kid of late but rather late than never.

I am no expert but...
laszlok53 since you have installed ubuntu.

Have you tried to run Win 2000 in virtualbox and then setup what you needed?

gcmartin

A Linux File or Print or media Server

#44 Post by gcmartin »

5 easy solutions using Linux

Dedicated
  • Use a NAS approach (FreeNAS)
  • Use a Linux Distro (SMS) - I add the KDE add-on to the ISO and ran from CD
Puppy using current, stable PUPs that have SAMBA built-in to talk to ALL known LAN devices built.
  • LightHouse64 (64bit)
  • FATSlacko (32bit)
These all work, are stable and mature.

And, correct me if I'm wrong (as I have only installed Ubuntu Servers), but, I believe that SAMBA is included in Ubuntu and all you need do is tailor it to your needs.

Should you need help, there are resources all over the Inet that can/will help with SAMBA (Its been around for over 20 years!)

Only needs; you to setup your SAMBA config file. In fact SMS is probably the easiest since it has Webmin which provides full-screen pages for your system tailoring making it so very, very easy.

Here to help

vektor_alian

#45 Post by vektor_alian »

I use Pupserver 435 from archive.org