how to rip DVD to hard drive?

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

#41 Post by gcmartin »

nubc wrote:Thanks for the clarification and info, smokey. What am I trying to achieve? I am trying to find an alternative to Pburn when that program consistently failed to burn the movie DVD. I am making progress with Handbrake, but I need to change a parameter because it's taking over 4 hours to generate a 3.7 GB VOB. I believe I now have the resources to accomplish my goals, and appreciate your help very much. Prolly gonna call this thread solved, very shortly. I was a bit thrown by a bug in Saluki's Pmount, but I didn't really need it anyway. Sorry to be rambling about lately, but I have been on this personal project for over 20 hours, during the last week. First time I ever burned a movie DVD.
This is a very good thread as it provides (all of us) a single thread showing tools for DVD management.

@nubc
Should you find the approach you indicate for using Handbrake, in your closing, Would you share just how to do that so that we can do the SAME.

@Smokey01
As usual, THANKS again.

nubc

Howto use Handbrake to shrink/convert movie DVD

#42 Post by nubc »

1. Could not install a working Handbrake on Wary 5.1.1 full, so I ran Saluki 0.1.4 as live CD and installed Handbrake with package manager.

2. Open Handbrake app, browse to find movie DVD at /dev/dvd. Click File > Source, select /dev/dvd, then click OK, and wait for Handbrake to scan the DVD. Change destination from /root of Saluki (in RAM) to /root of sda1, the computer's hard drive (with Wary 5.1.1 full installed). The destination (hdd) should have sufficient free space (estimate: 8 GB min).

3. Select target size of shrunk file: 3.7 GB. (Bitrate automatically adjusts to target size.)

4. There is a button in Handbrake's navigation toolbar to see a Preview, from which the generated file can be pre-edited to your liking.

5. Click the green forward button in Handbrake's navigation toolbar to Start Encoding, to shrink DVD and convert to mp4. My movie took 4 or 5 hours.

6. Much later, after mp4 file is generated, shut down Saluki, reboot to Wary 5.1.1 full. Open Pburn, click-to-select Burn Mode #3 = Burn Video. The bottom of this first page contains two panels. Locate and highlight the target mp4 file in the left panel, then place it in the right panel Burn list by clicking the blue + plus sign (button). Now click the Burn button at the top-right of the page. On resulting settings page (with tabs), configure Pburn for Aspect Ratio (4:3 or 16:9) and TV standard for your country (NTSC or Pal), click bullet to select device to do the burning, set DVD burn speed = 8x. Then click Burn button to begin Pburn preburn operations (Do Not Close). This is a two-hour operation where two or three hundred thousand frames are queued for the burn. Pburn eventually burns the DVD without being prompted.

7. Playback: VLC may initially refuse to play the DVD, but will play it. Unfortunately, the default Aspect Ratio is full screen (4:3?), so a widescreen video will show considerable vertical elongation. I selected Aspect Ratio of 2.39:1 for widescreen playback based on a logo's perfect circle. On another computer Aspect Ration of 2.21:1 looked right.

If anyone knows how to shorten or improve this procedure, please make suggestions.
Last edited by nubc on Mon 19 Mar 2012, 15:53, edited 10 times in total.

smokey01

#43 Post by smokey01 »

nubc did you know that most new multimedia players including TV's will play MP4 files. You don't need to burn it to a DVD. I usually just copy the MP4 file to a USB flash drive and plug it into my media player/TV.

Did you also know you can watch a DVD via VLC and record it to an mpeg file at the same time?

On the view menu select Advanced Controls. Click on the record button. It won't compress the size of the file but it will give you a respectable copy.

BTW what computer are you using? It only takes me 30 minutes to rip a 90 minute DVD with Handbrake.

nubc

#44 Post by nubc »

This computer is Dell Dimension 3100, 2.8 GHz w HT, 2.0 GB ram, 160 GB SATA hdd. Smokey, you also mentioned that the target size of the mp4 file you generate is about 1 GB. I selected a target size of 3.7 GB, This movie is also 130 minutes long. I fumbled around with most of the available burning software before I settled on Pburn. I am not entirely satisfied with the length of time it took just to burn the mp4, and was tempted to bother you for more information on how you would burn it. I think I tried CopyDVD, Pdvdrsab, and Burniso2cd, without success.

GaRailroader

dcfldd

#45 Post by GaRailroader »

Smokey01:

Re: my post on top of page #2. I believe the reason why the CopyDVD utility is not working on my 5.28 install is due to not having dcfldd. I got the vobcopy portion to work somewhat but haven't yet figured out how to get dcfldd installed.

GaRailroader

smokey01

Re: dcfldd

#46 Post by smokey01 »

GaRailroader wrote:Smokey01:

Re: my post on top of page #2. I believe the reason why the CopyDVD utility is not working on my 5.28 install is due to not having dcfldd. I got the vobcopy portion to work somewhat but haven't yet figured out how to get dcfldd installed.

GaRailroader
GaRailroader the file dcfldd is included in the pet.

gcmartin

#47 Post by gcmartin »

Questions
  • Does the last 2 post mean that CopyDVD utility will or will not work on latest Puppy 528R5?
  • Is 528R5 missing something?
This is a great thread for techniques.

Can anyone recommend a tool (or location discussing)l to combine 2 mp4 videios files from my camera? <A recommendation was given by Smokey01>

Thanks.
Edited and changed - 2012-04-10
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 19:59, edited 4 times in total.

smokey01

#48 Post by smokey01 »

gcmartin wrote:Does the last 2 post mean that CopyDVD utility will or will not work of latest Puppy 528R5? Is 528R5 missing something?

This is a great thread for techniques.

Can anyone recommend a tool (or location discussing)l to combine 2 mp4 videios files from my camera?

Thanks.
Openshot video editor works well.

trapster

#49 Post by trapster »

Code: Select all

mencoder file1.mp4 file2.mp4 -ovc copy -oac copy -of lavf format=mp4 -o output.mp4
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Les Kerf

#50 Post by Les Kerf »

trapster wrote:

Code: Select all

mencoder file1.mp4 file2.mp4 -ovc copy -oac copy -of lavf format=mp4 -o output.mp4
Could someone please elaborate on this?
Thanks,
Les

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#51 Post by Flash »

Just guessing, but it looks like it's telling mencoder to take two video files, file1.mp4 and file2.mp4, and combine them into one file: output.mp4. Is that what you meant?

Of course, if you don't have mencoder installed it won't do anything, and I don't know where you can find mencoder. :(

Karl Godt

#52 Post by Karl Godt »

Flash :
Perhaps read this :

Compiling mplayer and ffmpeg http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02064

Reading the comments you'll find mencoder mentioned .

[ ldd /usr/local/bin/mencoder : not a dynamic executable ]
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

Les Kerf

#53 Post by Les Kerf »

Thanks for the replies.
I have been trying to learn how to do various things in Puppy, and have done quite a bit of searching and reading.

I thought perhaps that trapster had posted some magical command line code that accomplished everything in one fell swoop.

Probably best that I ignore it.
Thanks again,
Les

chrome307

#54 Post by chrome307 »

gcmartin

Video processing in Puppy Linux

#55 Post by gcmartin »

With Camera recording technology showing up on all kinds of platforms, it would certainly be of great use to the many/most of us who are Puppy users. If you have a cell phone, you have a camera. If you have a xPad, you have a camera. If you have one of the SmartTVs, you have a camera. I f you have a security cam at home/office, or a dask-cam or a bird-watch...

We should/could have a tool for combining videos as a part of our OOTB video experience. This help those who started and stop capture as a part of a ceremony/banquet/party/etc.

I think we see yet another feature that would make Puppy even more attractive to any user who comes to a PUP platform.

If this is already built-in to some PUP please advise. OR if there is a PET which makes combining videos simple or in a Form (GUI), I would like that advice.

Thanks for current efforts of steering.