Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Apr 2014, 18:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Can you install Linux apps merely by copying directories?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
benali72

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2012, 16:13    Post subject:  Can you install Linux apps merely by copying directories?  

Back when I used to support Unix (AIX and HP/UX), we sometimes would install a program on a new system merely by copying its directory (and all subdirectories) from a system it was already installed on, over to the target system.

Can you do that with Linux?

Are there any limitations/concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you.
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2012, 16:59    Post subject: Re: Can you install Linux apps merely by copying directories?  

benali72 wrote:
Back when I used to support Unix (AIX and HP/UX), we sometimes would install a program on a new system merely by copying its directory (and all subdirectories) from a system it was already installed on, over to the target system.

Can you do that with Linux?

Are there any limitations/concerns I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Assuming both systems are running the same Linux version, then- basically- very often yes, but not quite always.

Beyond that simple answer, the files for a Linux application aren't always arranged so neatly into a single directory, but might be spread out through the file tree a bit.

This is basically how simple packages work in Linux, though. The difference is that a compressed archive is unpacked and then its contents are dropped into place throughout the file tree rather than a simple directory copy. (More complex packages may execute some commands or a script on installation, but it's not a requirement, necessarily.)

To see what I mean about the packages, you can grab a dot-pet package, rename the *.pet extension to *.tar.gz, and extract it. Poke around a few of them for a bit, and you'll see what I mean.

Beyond that, you may need to update a few things by hand after the fact- MIME-types come to mind, as do menu entries, etc.- but a simple copy works a lot of the time.

TL;DR -- Sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't. Give it a try, test it a bit, and mind the bumps in the road.

(On a somewhat related note, simple copying of dependencies (the odd library, an empty but searched-for settings file, etc.) from an old installation of Ubuntu 8.04 was how I got some very critical programs (like my dial-up client) running smoothly on Puppy 412.)
benali72

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 12:38    Post subject:  

Hey, thanks, @TheAsterisk!. That was just what I needed to know. I'll start poking around and learn more. Thanks.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 17:02    Post subject:  

You'd have to tell the boot loader program what files to load and where they are.
starhawk

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 19:18    Post subject:  

Flash: doesn't that only apply to SFS files, not "okay I'm going to open up this PET package [or whatever, as long as it's an archive of sorts] and put files where they go"?

IIRC a PET package is a modified TGZ (*.tar.gz aka "tarball") so a "manual install" as it's usually called is quite possible. Don't know about SFS -- you'd have to unpack it, and they usually do so into /opt so I'm not sure how exactly it'd work out. Probably just fine but you never know.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 22:32    Post subject:  

Oh my, I completely misread the topic. I somehow got it into my head that benali asked about installing Puppy, not apps in Puppy. Embarassed

Never mind.
starhawk

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 23:23    Post subject:  

No worries Smile
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: