Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 00:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 242 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 10:10    Post_subject:  

I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

It doesn't matter that it says "USB DISK". In fact my other USB stick is simply named by its manufacturer. sdb1 (no name) is an sD card which plugs right in. (see picture below-it is Saluki 23)

Although I guess it could be what was said earlier about it being reformatted, as it doesn't show the manufacturer as its name.

I tried to see if this unmounts correctly in Saluki 17 (because I already had a burned CD), and sure enough, it unmounted correctly. It also had "USB DISK" under the icon, just like in 23.

So the problem seems to be the newer unmounting system in the newer versions of Saluki. It is nice and fancy, looks like MacOS or Ubuntu, but it has this bug. I don't think my stick is guilty, as it works fine in about 20 or so other OSes I used it with.

I also tried Saluki 23 on three different computers, and it always bugs with that USB stick, but that USB stick always works fine with other OSes, tried on at least 7 different computers.
usbug.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   30.52 KB
 Viewed   1566 Time(s)

usbug.jpg

elroy

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 15:17    Post_subject: Carolina Linux Update  

Here's the latest on the upcoming Carolina Linux beta release
einar

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 04:04    Post_subject: Re: Carolina Linux Update  

elroy wrote:
Here's the latest on the upcoming Carolina Linux beta release

I am realy looking forward to this release, I have a few questions though.

Why PAE kernel, i thought that the preemptive kernel was good for multimedia purposes and that the extra memory was not utilized properly in a PAE kernel. Please correct me if im wrong. Its been awhile since ive googled kernel differences Smile

Will you make ATi/Nvidia drivers for this new kernel ? Or make quick guides ?Smile i managed to install Ati drivers on saluki but it is not strait forward for a noob.

Can you incorporate lameSMBxplorer in to the final release. This is for mounting / automount windows shares ?

Best regards

Einar
elroy

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 08:03    Post_subject: Re: Carolina Linux Update  

Hi einar. Thanks for your interest in Carolina. However, we need to keep this thread about Saluki. If anyone else has questions about Carolina, please wait until we crack our own thread, or you can always person message myself or Geoffrey.

einar wrote:
Why PAE kernel, i thought that the preemptive kernel was good for multimedia purposes and that the extra memory was not utilized properly in a PAE kernel.

From wikipedia -
"The Linux kernel includes full PAE mode support starting with version 2.3.23, enabling access of up to 64 GB of memory on 32-bit machines. A PAE-enabled Linux kernel requires that the CPU also support PAE. As of 2009, some common Linux distributions have started to use a PAE-enabled kernel as the distribution-specific default because it adds the NX bit.

Microsoft Windows implements PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but current 32-bit desktop editions enforce the physical address space within 4 GB even in PAE mode."

einar wrote:
Will you make ATi/Nvidia drivers for this new kernel?

Geoffrey has compiled the Nvidia driver. It will be available as both a pet and as an sfs. We're still in the process of finding a solution for the Ati driver.

einar wrote:
Can you incorporate lameSMBxplorer in to the final release.

We hadn't planned on it, but you're more than welcome to build a pet for the Saluki and Carolina repositories.
greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 14:13    Post_subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:
I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

So the problem seems to be the newer unmounting system in the newer versions of Saluki. It is nice and fancy, looks like MacOS or Ubuntu, but it has this bug. I don't think my stick is guilty, as it works fine in about 20 or so other OSes I used it with.

Hi mini-jaguar, looks like that might be a tricky bug to resolve. I think it would be worthwhile to make a copy of your mbr so that it is available for future troubleshooting (just in case the mbr ends up being implicated...)

I have had some odd issues with Saluki that went away when I changed to a different mbr (ok, might be nothing to do with your particular issue but just thought I'd mention it).

(If you do want to save a copy of the mbr there is a topic here that describes a way:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=538894&sid=21363bb1c8faf925074b422bb53d871f
and also the GRUB wikka mentions taking a backup copy about a quarter of the way down:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GRUB
Van78

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 15:45    Post_subject: desktop icons saluki  

hello

I do not know how to search through the 242 pages in this thread so I gonna aks here though I am sure it has been dealed with before Sad

Ok, I got Saluki 23 on USB flashdrive frugal and frugal hdd.
Both have the same issue in common. I can not see any desktop icons and I can not change the wallpaper. This is not so fine.

I have a Samsung R65 laptop with 1400x1000 Nvidia I think . If that is of any interest.

Can you help me since I only want a nice looking puppy that is easy to be administered for a Windows newbe.

Thanks alot
dennis-slacko531

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 15:59    Post_subject: Re: Audacious 3.2.3
Sub_title: It works great!

rg66 wrote:
Ok, here's Audacious 3.2.3 with mp3 support for Saluki. Made from the Lupu pet with all needed libs added and tested on Saluki 023. Hopfully one of the more experienced guy's will check it out to see if it's ok but so far so good.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cqfaby8lk7dgk21

Just saying thanks for Audacious pet. Works great, always like this music player best.

Say are there any alpha's out yet on Carolina Question

EDIT: ...Oh, I see October 5th is the expected beta release date, okay...

Edited_time_total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 03 Oct 2012, 20:47    Post_subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:

It doesn't matter that it says "USB DISK". In fact my other USB stick is simply named by its manufacturer. sdb1 (no name) is an sD card which plugs right in. (see picture below-it is Saluki 23)

Although I guess it could be what was said earlier about it being reformatted, as it doesn't show the manufacturer as its name.

I tried to see if this unmounts correctly in Saluki 17 (because I already had a burned CD), and sure enough, it unmounted correctly. It also had "USB DISK" under the icon, just like in 23.

I also tried Saluki 23 on three different computers, and it always bugs with that USB stick, but that USB stick always works fine with other OSes, tried on at least 7 different computers.

This should fix the unmount problem, also fixes Firefox and SeaMonkey crashing when mounting drives.

http://saluki-linux.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=1679#p1679

elroy

PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct 2012, 14:51    Post_subject: Carolina Linux
Sub_title: seperate thread

This will be the last post on the Saluki forum concerning Carolina. Carolina now has it's own thread located here.
Van78

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 14:20    Post_subject:  

Is something special with Saluki or why do interested user not receive any replies on a question concerning Saluki?

I got a problem with Saluki I never had before with any Puppy and whre I did not find any help on the net.

....---> my Saluki does not show any desktop icons!?

What can I do please?
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 14:45    Post_subject:  

Van78 wrote:
my Saluki does not show any desktop icons!?
What can I do please?

Which icons do you want on your desktop?

Some are controlled from menu>control panel>desktop>launch>icons

Drive icons controlled from menu>control panel>XFCE Desktop Drive Icons>launch

For program icons go to /usr/share/applications and drag the ones you want out onto the desktop as usual.

That is on my Saluki 021.

Van78

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 16:11    Post_subject:  

I did a fresh install on my laptop and now icons are there.

FYI they were on the older install also there but gone missing some how. Dissipated...

BUT

I had the 1st install first running on my PC! Then I put it on a flashdrive and moved it to my hdd on my laptop. Then I booted the frugal by the means of grub4dos.

So, I assume Saluki or all other modern puppies are not that mobile any more than the ones I had earlier...
May be they are and I have to make adjustments?

I dont know.
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 12:49    Post_subject:  

greengeek wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:

Hi mini-jaguar, looks like that might be a tricky bug to resolve. I think it would be worthwhile to make a copy of your mbr so that it is available for future troubleshooting (just in case the mbr ends up being implicated...)

I have had some odd issues with Saluki that went away when I changed to a different mbr (ok, might be nothing to do with your particular issue but just thought I'd mention it).

(If you do want to save a copy of the mbr there is a topic here that describes a way:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=538894&sid=21363bb1c8faf925074b422bb53d871f
and also the GRUB wikka mentions taking a backup copy about a quarter of the way down:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GRUB
This happens on EVERY computer I try to boot Saluki on, even without installing Saluki (just using a live CD).

It seems I need to check the USB stick's mbr.

O.k., I checked that thread and am a bit at a loss as to what to do. How do I check if the USB stick has an mbr on it in the first place?

I tried TestDisk that Google suckered me into thinking it can be used to examine the mbr, but now it seems it can only repair them.

Should I just download that hex editor and post the results of the first few sectors?
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 14:17    Post_subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:
This happens on EVERY computer I try to boot Saluki on, even without installing Saluki (just using a live CD).

Yes, sorry - i was not clear - what I mean is that the usb stick will have had sector 0 written in the factory in a way that is most meaningful to Windows. (Rightly or wrongly I am referring to sector 0 as the mbr, even though it also contains FAT data). Of course the stick may have had the mbr portion of sector 0 rewritten since (depending on what programme and options were used to format it...). Puppy seems to handle usb sticks better when sector 0 has been written in certain ways (Grub4Dos does a good job, as does syslinux mbr.bin).

What I was suggesting was to use the code suggested by rcrsn51 in that topic I referred to, just to make a readable copy of sector 0 in case it became handy later on for the purposes of identifying what is upsetting Saluki.

When I had strange boot problems I found some other topics that suggested methods of how to read/analyse that sector 0 data, but it's complex and my head spun too much so I just kept a copy of the data and went ahead with reformatting in various ways till Saluki was happy. Grub4Dos seemed to have managed it for me.

Also - Gparted does not change the mbr portion of sector 0 when you completely reformat the stick. (I used to think it was completely wiping the stick but it doesn't - and the operating system can be upset by what is left in those first 446 bytes of sector 0).
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 05:20    Post_subject: Open with  

I've just noticed that on my custom built Saluki 023 when I use the "open with" from the right click menu all the apps are listed randomly when they used to be alphabetical before the build. Any way to change this back?
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 242 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum