Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 26 Oct 2014, 01:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 30 of 31 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
Author Message
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 16:02    Post_subject:  

multiblitz wrote:
I have a question....using the Alix board, I have issues like hickups when playing hires material. Any hints how to improve this ?
I actually get that as well, but apparently not everyone does. The fix for me has been to unplug and re-plug the USB Audio device after the system has finished booting. Somehow re-initializing it like this fixes it. I leave my system on all the time it's not a big deal to do this on the rare occasions I restart it.

I'd love to find a more permanent fix, but I don't have any idea what the issue is.

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 16:04    Post_subject:  

clar2391 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I tried the instructions, both 32 and 64 bit with Puppy MPD, and I was able to boot, it brought me to a Grub menu prompt. I hit Tab to see the commands available, but I didn't know where to go from there.

Hi, let me give it a shot - if you got to a GRUB menu that's pretty promising. Not sure what you mean by 32 and 64 bit - there is only a 32 bit version of mpdPup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
clar2391

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 16:10    Post_subject:  

Sorry, the EFI booter has a 32 and a 64 it file. I used the bootX64.efi and then the bootX32.efi, with the same results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 16:40    Post_subject:  

clar2391 wrote:
Sorry, the EFI booter has a 32 and a 64 it file. I used the bootX64.efi and then the bootX32.efi, with the same results.
I realized that once I downloaded the archive and tried it myself. I see now that the ISO needs to be modified to support Ubuntu's style of bootup. I think this can be accommodated relatively easily, but I need to do a bit more testing - will keep you posted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
multiblitz

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 19:31    Post_subject:  

one question....how difficult would it be to have a choice between standard mpd and mopidy ? If i got it right mopidy does the same as mpd, but adds spotify...even mpad works with it....that would be extremely cool...highend for your own discs through mpdpup plus the flexibilty of spotify....my sonos system would be obsolete....
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2012, 20:25    Post_subject:  

multiblitz wrote:
one question....how difficult would it be to have a choice between standard mpd and mopidy ? If i got it right mopidy does the same as mpd, but adds spotify...even mpad works with it....that would be extremely cool...highend for your own discs through mpdpup plus the flexibilty of spotify....my sonos system would be obsolete....
MPD 0.17.x supports Spotify now - I spent some time figuring out how to get all the dependencies taken care of, so the next release will ship with Spotify support.

Mopidy looks like it requires quite a few dependencies, so getting all those working would be a bit of work. I'm not sure if it offers any specific advantages working with Spotify vs. MPD's implementation. Seeing that it's based on Python it's definitely not as light weight as MPD.

Note that a spotify premium account is required for either project.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
computeraudio

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 16:00    Post_subject: (issue solved) Is it possible too use an USB keyboard/mouse?  

Hi Idolse


Most modern motherboards don't have 2 separate PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard anymore.

My mobo only has only one PS/2 connector. So I can use a mouse OR a use keyboard.

Using a PS/2 splittercable doesn't work.
(I found many complaints on internet about Ps/2 splittercables that do not work on these purple/green combo sockets)

Connecting an USB logitec keyboard/mouse combo also doesn't work.

What now?

How can I configure mpdpup after first boot if mpdpup can't handle an USB keyboard/mouse combo?

Is it possible too make a connection after first boot through LAN too do a first configuration?

Mark

(edit: meanwhile I found out how too do it with just only a PS/2 keyboard connected. USB mouse/keyboard still would be nice though)
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2012, 21:38    Post_subject: Re: (issue solved) Is it possible too use an USB keyboard/mouse?  

computeraudio wrote:
Most modern motherboards don't have 2 separate PS/2 connectors for mouse and keyboard anymore.

How can I configure mpdpup after first boot if mpdpup can't handle an USB keyboard/mouse combo?

Is it possible too make a connection after first boot through LAN too do a first configuration?
Hi computeraudio, I'm not sure what the root cause of your problem was, or why you thought USB keyboards/mice aren't supported. I've always used USB mice and keyboards with no problem, haven't attempted using PS2. Glad you were able to make it work anyway. SSH configuration over the LAN will always work if there is some type of input hardware issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
luisb

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 13:08    Post_subject:  

Hi Idolse
Mpdpup introduced me to linux OS, so i am a totally newbie. I was able to set mpdpup in an Eeepc with my WaveIo USB interface with no issues. Sounds really nice. I am not using it as a server, just as a primary source. I know it was designed to work like a server. Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge to be able to include in music directory an external HD or SD card? My SSD in only 64 Gb. Maybe not possible with mpdup but i had to ask as i really love my setup. Any chance of getting better ncmpcpp graphic interface? Sorry about the newbie questions i understand mpdpup should be minimalist in space and resource consumption.
Regards
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
multiblitz

Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 32

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct 2012, 18:14    Post_subject:  

[quote="ldolseMPD 0.17.x supports Spotify now - I spent some time figuring out how to get all the dependencies taken care of, so the next release will ship with Spotify support.
[/quote]

GREAT !!!! Do you have an estimated time of arrival ? Razz Razz Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 12:08    Post_subject:  

multiblitz wrote:

GREAT !!!! Do you have an estimated time of arrival ? Razz Razz Razz
Every estimate I give has been wrong, so no Razz There has been a lot of scope creep, and I've also been working on more newbie proofing based on the various issues raised by users new to Linux. It is steadily getting closer though - I've got everything working the way I want except for the upgraded LCD support, which I'll be sorting out next. The last item on my plate is to put in the ability to release simple patches without requiring a whole new release. Nothing else is going in at this point.

I'm on the road away from my reference systems for a couple weeks, so it definitely won't be released before then, as I try to final QA on a few different actual hardware platforms vs. VMWare where I do my development.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
PET-240

Joined: 22 May 2012
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 18:34    Post_subject:  

G'day Idolse,

Really appreciate the efforts you go through for this!

Cheers,

Drew.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 00:19    Post_subject:  

luisb wrote:
Hi Idolse
Mpdpup introduced me to linux OS, so i am a totally newbie. I was able to set mpdpup in an Eeepc with my WaveIo USB interface with no issues. Sounds really nice. I am not using it as a server, just as a primary source. I know it was designed to work like a server. Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge to be able to include in music directory an external HD or SD card? My SSD in only 64 Gb. Maybe not possible with mpdup but i had to ask as i really love my setup. Any chance of getting better ncmpcpp graphic interface? Sorry about the newbie questions i understand mpdpup should be minimalist in space and resource consumption.
Regards
Hi luisb, glad you were able to get it working during your initial testing. Regarding your query, an external drive is supported, the storage wizard asks you to choose between local storage and network attached, just choose local storage. That said, it would be best to get mpdPup installed to your internal SSD before doing that to eliminate potential problems. You can use the Puppy Linux installers to do this - you need to install Grub to your SSD, and then use the Puppy Linux installer. You'll also need to create an MPD directory on your SSD drive - there is a post further back in this thread going into more detail on the process.

Regarding more graphical ncmpcpp, nothing I can do about that program specifically, but the next release will allow you to optionally install GMPC and launch XWindows automatically for users who prefer a proper GUI vs maximum resource reduction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
luisb

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 06:59    Post_subject:  

Hi Idolse
Many thanks for your answer. I do understand the scope creep phenomenon and i had no intentions to be a part of it "Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge..........", i am a diyer so i don´t expect to have all the work done for me. Setting mpdpup and music files in the ssd drive was done since the very beginning, with your very easy to follow instructions and you endless patience. I was just asking if it was possible local expansion with external devices but should payed more atention on your remarks about the local storage limited support. Anyway, as music lover and audiophile, i thank you for the new horizons you gave me with this project.
Again, i thank you for your patience and fantastic work.
Regards
luis
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ldolse

Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 366

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:12    Post_subject:  

luisb wrote:
I do understand the scope creep phenomenon and i had no intentions to be a part of it "Could you point me the direction were to get knowledge..........", i am a diyer so i don´t expect to have all the work done for me. Setting mpdpup and music files in the ssd drive was done since the very beginning, with your very easy to follow instructions and you endless patience. I was just asking if it was possible local expansion with external devices but should payed more atention on your remarks about the local storage limited support. Anyway, as music lover and audiophile, i thank you for the new horizons you gave me with this project.
No worries Luis, and you're welcome. The scope creep comment wasn't aimed toward you. A lot of that is my own doing, just to make the task of supporting things easier. Glad you were able to get the SSD install done from the start - that avoids most of the pitfalls of local storage and makes it pretty easy - only other gotcha is NTFS needs a file tweaked if your audio drive uses that fileystem. Details on that are also further back in the thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 30 of 31 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0975s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0131s) ][ GZIP on ]