Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 20 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 22:47    Post subject:  

01micko wrote:
bigpup wrote:
Quote:
removed mtpaint-snapshot.sh

Why did you do this?.

Because screeny is better. It will open a snap in mtpaint (may make that default) and it will take window shots, and it will auto scale for forum compatibility. Screeny will be mapped to 'print screen' key, and it was oversight to leave in the desktop file for mtpainsnapshot.sh

In Rox
if I select an image file, choose open with MtPaint.
I get message it needs mtpaint-snapshot.sh

Quote:
bigpup wrote:
Pcur cursor selector ..

I'll remove it

So you will not provide option to change cursor theme?

Pcur cursor selector will work.You just need to provide a cursor theme package in PPM, to download and install, for it to use.
Example:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/Cursor_themes-1-Lucid.pet

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2012, 23:04    Post subject:  

I can move Pcur to the slacko repo I guess, it is possibly deleted from one of the old repos Barry had it in, he has done a big shake up, at least it's in the lupu one.

The right click is a side effect of the oversight in leaving in mtpaintsanapshot.desktop. They are auto generated. Once removed it wont generate.

ETP

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 03:47    Post subject: Cursors & cursor themes  

It has long struck me that “Puppy” in general does not cater for those of us who are visually challenged and odd that new users are invited to install a theme pack before they can deviate from the standard cursor.

It would be a nice gesture, given that the average age of our users is >50 to, OOTB, include just two extra themes (say large black & large white) and to retain Pcur for their benefit.

The full cursor pack which is both large & mainly cosmetic could still be placed in the repo.

Jejy69

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 06:50    Post subject:  

Latest Cinnamon 1.6 with Puppy... Cool

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 08:32    Post subject:  

The Slacky.eu guys have started.. not much in their repo yet, but it will grow.. Salix will grow too.

Cool

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 16:38    Post subject: cinnamon 1.6  

Hi Jejy69,

Somewhat of a cryptic post about cinnamon 1.6. Was it supposed to be to the LXPup thread? Looks like a rather interesting alternative desktop. Is there a pet? or can it be downloaded and installed using one of the sources listed here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61? Which? Or will that depend on which Puppy?

mikesLr
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 18:36    Post subject:  

Hiya!

Slowly migrating from my trusted 5297pae ...

Two issues:
1. Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),

2. Sometimes, Rox freaks out, leaving me without zeroes and ones, yes, the digits, (and, occasionally, also twos) - not doing anything special or demanding at all when this happens, can even occur at a fresh log-on - restarting X solves the issue; the missing digits are back in Rox. Shocked
(Does not occur in any other pup or distro, so rules out RAM or HDDs on the decline.)
- Memory leaks, or Brokendale again?

Anyway, apart from my whining above, looks really promising Smile.

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
majorfoo

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 20:01    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
Hiya!

Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

I have been using audacious-3.2.3-2.pet that playdayz posted in June 2012. It has worked in all versions of Slacko that I have tired, plus the new precise versions provided by Barry.

You can get it at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/

Note this contains two sections. First section has all entries beginning with capital letter. Second section entries are all lower case. The pet you want is in the section section, if you want to try it. I have been using this version since it was first posted and it is also my favorite - small, user friendly and easy to use.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct 2012, 23:01    Post subject:  

majorfoo wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:
Hiya!

Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

I have been using audacious-3.2.3-2.pet that playdayz posted in June 2012. It has worked in all versions of Slacko that I have tired, plus the new precise versions provided by Barry.

You can get it at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/

Note this contains two sections. First section has all entries beginning with capital letter. Second section entries are all lower case. The pet you want is in the section section, if you want to try it. I have been using this version since it was first posted and it is also my favorite - small, user friendly and easy to use.

I managed to get the newest version compiled, needed to compile gtk3 and some other stuff.

I'm not posting any pets, 01micko is better at that if he gets some free time.

btw.. 5360 is awesome Smile
aboutaudacious.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.93 KB
 Viewed   1150 Time(s)

aboutaudacious.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 00:31    Post subject:  

Uninstalled a Nvidia driver package using PPM.
Got this message at end of process
Notice miss spelling of Nvidia.
M not N.
capture24746.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   23.14 KB
 Viewed   1101 Time(s)

capture24746.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 02:26    Post subject:  

Slacko 5.3.6.0

General observation about the menu.
Designers choice,
but seems several items are not in the proper menu location.

Example:
Geany
menu->Utility->Utilities->Geany
Instead of menu->Document->

Xarchive
menu->Utility->Utilities->
Instead of menu->Utility->Archiving->

Wizard Wizard
menu->Setup->System->
Instead of menu->Setup->Wizard->

Grub4dos Bootloader config in two locations.
menu->System->Info
menu->Setup->Utility

Etc...

01micko

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 06:37    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro wrote:

There seems to be some problem with PPM resolving version information. You mention GTK-3 as being one.. I'm not sure but I think PPM "thinks" it's already installed, which it's not. It also thinks that old GTK-1x is installed (am sure), again, not. This could well be related to the libdbusmenu-qt issue with installing kdegames (Billtoo's post a few pp back). This is one for upstairs.

As for your rox issue, it's rox. It's too freakin' old! We're talking 2007 code-base here.. with patches ahcked in willy nilly ever since. Best I can do is whack in a workaround to try to start if it's detected as not running by the time X is up.

For the record, audacious does work.. using now, added deps manually, gtk-3 and mpg-123 (PPM missed that one too).
capture14259.png
 Description   
 Filesize   43.11 KB
 Viewed   1034 Time(s)

capture14259.png

Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:40    Post subject: Slacko - beta [5.4]
Subject description: deadbeef sfs file

I made and tested a deadbeef-0.5.5-slacko-i686.sfs in slacko 5360.

If interested the download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-48cde96b.html
capture29796.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   77.21 KB
 Viewed   944 Time(s)

capture29796.jpg

Jades

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 12:37    Post subject: Save problem with 5.3.6.0 LiveCD on NTFS  

Testing Slacko 5,3.6.0 on Merlin, Pentium D 3.4GHz. LiveCD boot. I'm having trouble with creating save files on the main NTFS partition. While the creation seems to work as normal from a pfix=ram boot, attempting to reboot into the new save results in a misbehaving save file. It gives a missing file error once it's reached the desktop, and all icons but the ones in the Menu are replaced with warning triangles. It also runs through all of the setup dialogues again. See attached screen grabs.

I've tried checking the partition for errors in XP as well as cleaning up some redundant files and defragging. Still doesn't work. The only successful saves have been one on my trusty LG 1GB memory key (FAT16), and one on the memory card in my Nokia X3-02 with the phone set to Mass Storage (the card is a 16GB Samsung Class 10 microSDHC, apparently formatted FAT32).

On the pfix=ram boots, as well as the ones from the USB devices, 5.3.6.0 does seem to run quite well. Wireless networking with the Netgear WN111v2 was set up using Network Wizard and seems to work although I do suspect the connection may be dropping out after a certain amount of data transfer.

At the moment, the lack of working saves on NTFS is the main problem.
5360probs.png
Description  Screenshot of problem booting save file from NTFS drive. Despite having already been setup, QuickSetup runs again.
png

Download 
Filename  5360probs.png 
Filesize  81.41 KB 
Downloaded  419 Time(s) 
5360probs2.png
Description  Screenshot of problem booting save file from NTFS drive. Note Menu icons are present, but no others are.
png

Download 
Filename  5360probs2.png 
Filesize  107.85 KB 
Downloaded  416 Time(s) 

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 16:35    Post subject:  

01micko,

Is Stay Connected program needed in Slacko 5.3.6.0?
Or have you done something to make it not needed?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=509398#509398

Page 20 of 49 [730 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: