Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
01micko

#301 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:01micko,

Is Stay Connected program needed in Slacko 5.3.6.0?
Or have you done something to make it not needed?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#509398
I've never found need to use it, however I can put it in the repo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

#302 Post by Jades »

bigpup wrote:01micko,

Is Stay Connected program needed in Slacko 5.3.6.0?
To clarify the issue that I am experiencing with my WN111v2, the connection is dropping out in the middle of active downloads, which is when it is most obvious because everything comes to a visible halt. It's the wireless connection failing, not the internet connection - other devices on the network will continue working normally and in the Puppy session I can't even ping the router until I re-run the Network Wizard.

I've had similar problems with other builds of Slacko before, possibly something to do with kernel or drivers since Lupu has been fine. When the wireless is working properly, speed seems to be the same as with other Puppies.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

MinHundHettePerro

#303 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.
Right, so it should read like
PACKAGE REQUIRED: atk,bzip2,cairo,dbus,dbus-glib,expat,fontconfig,freetype,gcc,cxxlibs|gcc-g++,gdk-pixbuf2,glib2,gtk+3,libICE,libSM,libX11,libXau,libXcomposite,libXcursor,libXdamage,libXdmcp,libXext,libXfixes,libXi,libXinerama,libXrandr,libXrender,libmcs,libmowgli,libpng,libxcb,pango,pixman,util-linux,zlib
?

Anyway, I'll test to edit the list when I log in to Slacko-5.3.6.0_K3.2.30-4g in a while .........

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Billtoo

#304 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.
I just noticed that the audacious in the Salix repo is 3.3.1, the one that I'm using is 3.3.2 but I don't see a changelog anywhere so I don't know what's new.

EDIT: I took a stab at exaile, I wasn't successfull but I did find out that it can't be run as root.
I got it going in slackware 14 after I compiled 2 modules that were missing.

EDIT2: I compiled audacious 3.2.2 in slacko 5.3.3, that wasn't easy! :)
Attachments
audacious.jpg
(30.7 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times
exaile330.jpg
(24.81 KiB) Downloaded 1379 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

ICPUG

#305 Post by ICPUG »

rcrsn51 wrote:Other distros, like TinyCore or Fatdog, have a "wait" boot argument to handle this problem with USB devices.

If the same situation is occurring with your hard drive, it would be useful to know if my "sleep 5" suggestion makes any difference.
I need to return to my problem of my booting a frugal install of Fatslacko requiring PMEDIA to be removed to make it work - to let you know what I have found out.

I have found that the source of the problem was nothing to do with PMEDIA or it requiring a sleep parameter in the init to wait for detection. The real problem was that my PC builder installed Windows on the 2nd hard drive - leaving the first drive unformatted. This was not how I wanted it, of course, but I did not realise it until I started playing with Puppy and seeing the drive partition icons coming up sdb?.

In this configuration I had expected grub to require references to (hd1,4) but in fact that failed and (hd0,4) was still required. My original kernel line in menu.lst was then something like:

kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=sda5 psubdir=fatslacko ...

This failed to find the sfs file and eventually removing the PMEDIA=atahd made it work. I thus assumed PDEV1=sda5 was correct (working on my knowledge of the init logic in Puppy4). However the recent discussion here and rcrsn51's suggestion that, if PMEDIA is omitted, Puppy now ignores all other search boot codes and looks everywhere led me to conclude that when I got it working by removing PMEDIA, PDEV1 was not in fact doing anything.

I questioned in my mind whether perhaps, originally, PDEV1 was wrong and, despite grub referring to (hd0,4), Puppy still detected the drives properly and my sfs was actually on sdb.

I tried:
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=sdb5 psubdir=fatslacko ...

It worked!

I am sorry for diverting the frugal discussion somewhat but we have learned something:

1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive but Puppy does!
2) It seems PMEDIA is now mandatory if you want to restrict search with PDEV1 and psubdir

Thanks to rcrsn51 for sticking with me and his suggestions that have led to this new found knowledge.

rcrsn51

#306 Post by rcrsn51 »

ICPUG wrote:1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive
GRUB gets its information from the BIOS. You would think that the BIOS would be aware of a drive even if it was unformatted.

But I once had a situation where GRUB ignored a drive simply because no partition on it had a boot flag set - even though GRUB doesn't use the boot flag! I concluded that the BIOS was skipping the drive because it didn't appear to be bootable.

Maybe the same thing is happening with your sda. Try putting a little dummy partition on it and flagging it bootable. Does (hd1,0) now work as expected?

Then take the boot flag off.

ETP

Booting

#307 Post by ETP »

ICPUG,

This may be a red herring, but looking at your last post did you actually use:

PMEDIA= or pmedia=

Similarly did you use:

PDEV1= or pdev1=

If the former in both cases, puppy may have simply ignored those boot codes, relied on its own search algorithms and come to the right or wrong conclusion itself. If puppy does not recognise a boot code it simply ignores it and AFAIK the case matters.

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree and you were just emphasizing those codes.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Jim1911

Bibletime 2.9.1-s

#308 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

Thank you for including Bibletime 2.9.1-s in the puppy-slacko repository, however, I've had a few problems installing it with the PPM. All the files appear to be present however the program can't find some dependencies. Also the Bibletime.desktop file needs a minor edit so it can find the correct icon. Change /usr/share/applications/bibletime.desktop Icon from Icon=mini-Personal to:

Code: Select all

Icon=/share/bibletime/icons/bibletime.png
This is on a fresh frugal installation with no software installed except Bibletime. In order to provide pictures during troubleshooting, I did install radky's PupSnap screen capture.

Thanks again for your finest Slacko to date, it's solid on my hardware. :D

Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(45.41 KiB) Downloaded 1241 times

01micko

#309 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jim

I haven't updated anything in PPM just yet. All those packages are compat with 13.37 versions of Slacko, so YMMV in whatever you install from PPM at this stage.

I'm still waiting on a resolution to a critical issue before I upload anything to the main repo. With the next beta, if this isn't resolved by then, I'll have to announce that PPM testing should be restricted to slackware repos only. Apologies for any inconvenience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jades

Netgear dongles are notorious for poor Linux support. It took many years for the kernel developers to get it right for the netgear-wg111-v2, which they eventually did. The symptoms were similar to what you say and the solution for stable connection was to reduce the rate of the thing from full speed to a fraction. I'm not sure what would be optimal for a, IEEE-802.11n dongle though as they ramped up the speed significantly. To change the rate:

iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed
..and if it works

echo "iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
..and reboot, that will make it permanent.

Also, post your dmesg output, it may be firmware or similar.

MinHundHettePerro

#310 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

On audacious:

I did install all the dependencies of audacious (including gtk+3) and, voilà, it worked :).

Had a misconceptual fear of gtk+3 programs not being runnable on gtk+2 puppies :oops:.

(Yes, I really should update that ghastly, outdated audacious/xmms/winamp skin of mine :oops: :P.)

Cheers :)/ MHHP
Attachments
audacious..jpg
(147.64 KiB) Downloaded 1412 times
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#311 Post by 01micko »

Haha!

I have slacky.eu repo working 8) . Not much there yet as mentioned but they just keep on adding stuff to it over the life of the the distro.

I just installed rekonq (a kde webkit browser) and it worked first go, correct menu and all, but I had all the deps from kdegames already.. interesting to see how it goes from scratch, I'll try when the next beta is ready.

Attached is the pet to add Slacky to PPM. You'll need to update PPM but NOT THE SLACKO REPO (it will break at this stage), then you'll need to configure PPM.
Attachments
slacky_repo_14_0_PPM-1.patch.pet
(818 Bytes) Downloaded 554 times
capture17811.jpg
(27.81 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times

Billtoo

Slacko - beta [5.4]

#312 Post by Billtoo »

Hi 01micko, here's a qt web browser that works well.
I downloaded the newest flash plugin and put it in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so it plays videos at cnn.com but you may
have to use the refresh item to get the video started.

The source is available here:

http://www.qupzilla.com/download
Attachments
capture21849.png
(155.42 KiB) Downloaded 1037 times

Sage

#313 Post by Sage »

Still busy on other projects but just time for a brief interjection.
I've also had a lot of grief with my Netgear wg111 USB dongle, aka Cohiba3887/WistonNewebURo54g/IntelsilISL3887/w.h.y.
There have been three issues:
-doesn't connect at all
-lights up but doesn't persist
-some connection utilities far too complex to unravel
Many, but not all, of these features have been observed with Puppy variants.
On the other hand some distros behave perfectly with it. Why should they not because they all have Prism054g (p54g) embedded and functional in their kernels of almost all ages.
Not being a coder, I have absolutely no idea where the problems lie. However, I would strongly recommend everyone on this Forum, using the NG dongle or not, to take a gander at PCLOS 2012-02 Phoenix Xfce edition. This has to be an exercise from Tex on how-to-do-it - Netgear wi-fi, par excellence. Even an HW geek like me can follow it. Moreover, it works and keeps working - rock solid.
Those who understand popping, peeking and poking might do well to study this guy's handiwork, even though he has had detractors on the InterWeb in the past. The fella really understands users like no-one else.

BHINTZ

#314 Post by BHINTZ »

grub4dos want to install on sda1 but generates an error because sda1 gets the following message:

The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
Failed to read vcn 0x2: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.

Does anyone understand this? This is a new machine AspireOne AO756. I can still boot windows 7, but the boot files are on sda2. I can boot from slacko from usb but can't boot frugal and don't want to destroy windows.

Any help will be appreciated

bob

rcrsn51

#315 Post by rcrsn51 »

BHINTZ wrote: and don't want to destroy windows.
Then you need to be very careful about letting Grub4Dos mess with your bootloader mechanism.

On many Win7 machines, the first partition is for emergency recovery. You shouldn't be touching it.
but the boot files are on sda2
Whose boot files? Windows or Puppy?

01micko

#316 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:
BHINTZ wrote: and don't want to destroy windows.
Then you need to be very careful about letting Grub4Dos mess with your bootloader mechanism.

On many Win7 machines, the first partition is for emergency recovery. You shouldn't be touching it.
but the boot files are on sda2
Whose boot files? Windows or Puppy?
This should be reported as a bug in the grub4dos thread. As a work-around, you could install it to a usb stick.

mfilmore

Slacko 5.3.6.0 Beta on Toshiba Satellite

#317 Post by mfilmore »

I installed on a Toshiba Satellite laptop L355-S7915 and most everything works well.

I was able to install slackware 14 packages and got OpenDNS (via dnscrypt-proxy) working fine.

I use sylpheed email and was able to migrate seamlessly after adding the sylpheed 3.0.3 package.

The one PROBLEM I noticed was that the Opera browser does not play video.pbs.org videos, but SeaMonkey plays them fine. Opera seems happy with YoyTube. I am not a big Opera fan, so no real problem for me. I would appreciate Iron, however.

FYI, I had updated the flash player to 11.2 r202 .

Thanks a bunch!!
-Mike

01micko

#318 Post by 01micko »

mfilmore,

Hello and welcome.

I'm playing some of those pbs videos now but using flashplayer10-10.3.183.23. Could be a hardware issue with Opera. It's on the chopping block anyway, I'm thinking firefox/sylpheed (16.0 and 3.2). I'm a bit sick of seamonkey, see earlier rants.

--

By the way, Slackware have just released the first "patch" to 14.0 (FF-16.0) so I will have to enable the "patches" repo too, actually want to build from that one so will require some experimentation.

mhanifpriatama

#319 Post by mhanifpriatama »

Just report :
Using Inkscape from ppm slacko 5.3.3, need libpopler.so.1.13 (I think). So, copy from puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs, can run.
Still problem with crapy vt6656 via wireless usb, and no problem with my new usb wireless TL-WN721N.
Using libre from ppm, no problem.
Using virtual box, problem. Because different kernel, so must use resource.

BHINTZ

#320 Post by BHINTZ »

I do have a working usb slacko. The only issue apart from not being able to install on the hard drive is that I am unable to reduce the brightness of the screen on an aspire one 756 64 bit machine.

The files on sda2 are windows files. I attempted to install lubuntu, but it also wanted to put the boot files on sda1 and could not access them. It offered to put them on sda2 or sdb1 as that was the location of the installation disc as this machine does not have a cd rom. I choose to abort as I didn't want to take a chance on making the hard drive unbootable.

Lubuntu is also unable to reduce the brightness on this machine. I have searched for the standard menu list that grub4dos creates as I know it exists because I see the screen it creates so that I can boot windows. It is no doubt on sda1, which I can no longer open.

bob