Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

Re: Carolina

#101 Post by Geoffrey »

yerc1 wrote:Your implementation of the shutdown dialogue is excellent! I hope you keep it that way and not move to PupShutdown, which I admit to be better than the standard way in Puppy but is way too crowded for me. Likewise, I'm glad that you kept Control Panel instead of PupControl. PupControl is good but your Control Panel is better, for me.

While trying to add Trash to the panel, i found that it showed as a thin line and Trash could not be launched from there.

Thanks for Carolina.
It's my puppy of choice at the moment.
Thanks for the bug catching guy's.

The shutdown dialogue will be staying, with the one in Saluki I had pressed the wrong button a number of times, this way there is less chance of doing that.

There are no plans to add PupShutdown or PupControl, yes radky has done a great job with these, but the Xfce Contol Panel is adequate.

I'll start hunting down the problem with the trash panel plugin.

@pemasu ,

Thank you again for your assistance, it definitely made the task easier.
Pete22 wrote:Each page of Xfce Panel preferences have these black boxes. Are they supposed to look like this?

Pete
I see your using hicolor what is the style in Appearance and Window Manager, I can't reproduce what you show, the closest I can get is using Gflat-graphite, yes it does look a little dark.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's a incompatible gtk style for the panel, it does the same in Saluki.
Attachments
Gflat-graphite.jpg
(32.98 KiB) Downloaded 1015 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

Re: Carolina testing

#102 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:-I installed the kernel-source and devx sfs's onto a pfix=ram frugal install (no savefile) to compile and got 2 strange loop4 and loop5 devices on the desktop....
Geoffrey is testing a new version of the pup-volume-monitor right now. The new version appears to have corrected that behavior. If it proves stable, it will be used in Carolina-002.

linux

#103 Post by linux »

Please keep up the good work on Carolina. It looks great and works well on both my laptop and desktop.

I can also confirm that the carolina-firmware-fix-0.0.1-pemasu.pet has solved the wireless connection problem. Now I just need to get the audio working ....

Thanks to everyone involved

elroy

#104 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:Now I just need to get the audio working ....
Try the firmware update pet on the first post of this thread. It includes the missing firmware for audio and may resolve your sound issues.
Last edited by elroy on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

Re: Carolina

#105 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:While trying to add Trash to the panel, i found that it showed as a thin line and Trash could not be launched from there.
This has been fixed in patch-004. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

linux

#106 Post by linux »

I will give that a try. Thanks for your help

I think the Sigmatel AC97 Audio drivers are needed for my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop

elroy

trash panel applet

#107 Post by elroy »

Well, I've found a new bug with the trash panel applet. After installing patch-004, while you can add the plugin to the panel, and it does function correctly, upon rebooting (with savefile), it does not reappear. It isn't in the panel after reboot.

So until we get that sorted out, you may want to avoid using this particular panel plugin unless you want to have to add it after every reboot.

elroy

#108 Post by elroy »

Please review the first post on this thread as it has been heavily edited to include some pertinent information, from bug fixes and wallpaper, to plans Geoffrey and I are discussing for the future.

elroy

lightning plugin

#109 Post by elroy »

GoneSouth wrote:Also did anyone think of including the lightning plugin for thunderbird
Plugins are a personal preference kind of thing thing. This plugin is easy to install within Thunderbird. While this plugin may be valuable to many, our ISO is large enough without adding extras such as this.

elroy

Re: xfce Panel

#110 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:...have these black boxes. Are they supposed to look like this?
Unfortunately, yes. Geoffrey and i have identified the following themes as problematic, either due to the "black box" effect, or because of disappearing right-click menu issues. The following themes will not be available on Carolina-002:

Clearlooks Revamp
TerraNova-Aquarius
TerraNova-Candy
TerraNova-Clarius
Gflat-grahpite
Gflat-quicksilver

starhawk

#111 Post by starhawk »

carolina wrote:If you have an artistic flair, we need your wallpaper! So long as the said wallpaper is not copyright protected, and it includes the Carolina watermark in a non-invasive manner (the watermark can be found here), your wallpaper could find it's way into the next Carolina Linux release.
Any particular theme in mind for these? eg nature photos/images only, or is it wide open?

elroy

#112 Post by elroy »

starhawk wrote:Any particular theme in mind for these? eg nature photos/images only, or is it wide open?
If you look at the wallpaper included in caroiina-001, that should give you a guide. But if it's good, we're certainly open to anything...

starhawk

#113 Post by starhawk »

OK so mostly nature stuff.

Only wallpaper I ever made is the one I made this morning. It's a flying saucer wallpaper, because my head is usually in outer space somewhere :P

I can stick a Carolina logo on it and post it, if you'd like.

elroy

#114 Post by elroy »

Go for it, starhawk. It's like dating a woman...all we can say is "no". And who knows, we may get out-voted by the users...we're new, we're brash, and we're open to pretty much anything, so long as it moves puppy forward, and not towards the past.

starhawk

#115 Post by starhawk »

Here you go :D 1600x1200 *.jpg. All I did from the original is add the 'lina logo at 128x128px size.

It's supposed to be all black&white, BTW -- a nod to the early (and campy) sci-fi films of the '60s, '50s, and earlier.
Attachments
lina-ufo.jpg
Far out, man. Far out.
(115.85 KiB) Downloaded 691 times

mikeslr

Wireless Solved -- Thanks guys

#116 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks elroy, Geoffrey & pemasu,

Your work on firmware did the trick. Frisbee now works fine. My specs here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 619#656619

One thing, Unless I did something wrong, some of your patches were not pets by tar.gz. Confusing to noobs, and me. But I discovered that right-clicking brought down a menu with a convert to pet option. Nice touch.

Saluki pets confirmed to work: xvidcap, galculator.
Other pets: wine-1.4.1, Nightingale
Maybe: Saluki-gtk-youtube-viewer -- it works, but required perl which over-wrote lots of stuff. Not sure of the effect. Did not try to download vids.

mikesLr

yerc1

Font size adjustment

#117 Post by yerc1 »

elroy wrote:Well, I've found a new bug with the trash panel applet. After installing patch-004, while you can add the plugin to the panel, and it does function correctly, upon rebooting (with savefile), it does not reappear. It isn't in the panel after reboot.

So until we get that sorted out, you may want to avoid using this particular panel plugin unless you want to have to add it after every reboot.
Thanks elroy and Geoffrey. I can see how quickly you are addressing the issues raised here. I have no problem waiting for the fix.

My font size adjustment question:
Carolina is the first to introduce me to Clementine and UMPlayer which have more features compared to similar apps. What I noticed is that they do not adjust well to font change from within a theme or from window manager option. UMPlayer has an option in its Preferences menu to take care of changing the font size for its menu, but I can't seem to find a similar feature for Clementine. There's an option to increase the font size of song lyrics in Clementine, but none that I can find for menu text size. Is there a way to adjust the Clementine menu font sizes?

Thanks for Carolina!
Please continue with this great project.

Pete22

Frisbee on the fritz

#118 Post by Pete22 »

Ok. Different computer. In fact my brother brought me six laptops to put Carolina on. :wink:

Downloaded Carolina iso.
Downloaded patch 4. Installed as per elroy's directions.

No go for Frisbee; nor for any of the other network interfaces for that matter.
Manually Downloaded drivers. Still no go.

b43
and
ipw2100

I would have downloaded ipw2200 also but it wasn't there.

Any ideas?

Pete.

Edit: I just tried carolina-firmware-fix-0.0.1-pemasu.pet and was able to
get a network wizard connection. However, Frisbee was a no go.

Geoffrey

Re: Font size adjustment

#119 Post by Geoffrey »

yerc1 wrote:
elroy wrote:Well, I've found a new bug with the trash panel applet. After installing patch-004, while you can add the plugin to the panel, and it does function correctly, upon rebooting (with savefile), it does not reappear. It isn't in the panel after reboot.

Thanks elroy and Geoffrey. I can see how quickly you are addressing the issues raised here. I have no problem waiting for the fix.

My font size adjustment question:
Carolina is the first to introduce me to Clementine and UMPlayer which have more features compared to similar apps. What I noticed is that they do not adjust well to font change from within a theme or from window manager option. UMPlayer has an option in its Preferences menu to take care of changing the font size for its menu, but I can't seem to find a similar feature for Clementine. There's an option to increase the font size of song lyrics in Clementine, but none that I can find for menu text size. Is there a way to adjust the Clementine menu font sizes?

Thanks for Carolina!
Please continue with this great project.
Clementine and UMPlayer are both Qt applications, I had a Look at Clementine you would have to install the qt_DEV-4.8.0 package,
this contains qtconfig, that will allow you to modify all of the Qt applications, this is global for Qt.
when installed there will be a Development menu entry that contains qtconfig along with other development apps.

If you don't want to install the development pack there is another alternative, dingo has a qtconfig HERE that is a static build,
I tried this and it works, it is a single executable file, there is no install or menu for it, when downloaded right-click it, go to properties > permissions
and check Allow this file to run as a program double click to run, then you will be able to change fonts and the look of the GUI along with other options,
use at your own risk, if in doubt use the Development pack application, if you known what your doing, try it.
Attachments
qtconfig.jpg
(65.64 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Geoffrey

Re: Wireless Solved -- Thanks guys

#120 Post by Geoffrey »

mikeslr wrote:Thanks elroy, Geoffrey & pemasu,

Your work on firmware did the trick. Frisbee now works fine. My specs here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 619#656619

One thing, Unless I did something wrong, some of your patches were not pets by tar.gz. Confusing to noobs, and me. But I discovered that right-clicking brought down a menu with a convert to pet option. Nice touch.

Saluki pets confirmed to work: xvidcap, galculator.
Other pets: wine-1.4.1, Nightingale
Maybe: Saluki-gtk-youtube-viewer -- it works, but required perl which over-wrote lots of stuff. Not sure of the effect. Did not try to download vids.

mikesLr
Saluki-gtk-youtube-viewer doesn't work for me, I believe this will need to be updated, UMPlayer which is included in Carolina searchs and plays Youtube.

The patch-xxx.tar.gz shouldn't be made into a pet
To use a patch, download and extract the patch-xxx.tar.gz, enter the extracted folder and open a terminal from within the folder (right-click-->Open Terminal Here...), and type ./install.sh to install the patch. Don't forget to press the enter key