Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 21:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 21 of 49 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Author Message
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7836
Location: qld

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 16:49    Post_subject:  

bigpup wrote:
01micko,

Is Stay Connected program needed in Slacko 5.3.6.0?
Or have you done something to make it not needed?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=509398#509398

I've never found need to use it, however I can put it in the repo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Jades

Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 451
Location: Somewhere in Blighty.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 16:58    Post_subject:  

bigpup wrote:
01micko,

Is Stay Connected program needed in Slacko 5.3.6.0?


To clarify the issue that I am experiencing with my WN111v2, the connection is dropping out in the middle of active downloads, which is when it is most obvious because everything comes to a visible halt. It's the wireless connection failing, not the internet connection - other devices on the network will continue working normally and in the Puppy session I can't even ping the router until I re-run the Network Wizard.

I've had similar problems with other builds of Slacko before, possibly something to do with kernel or drivers since Lupu has been fine. When the wireless is working properly, speed seems to be the same as with other Puppies.

_________________
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 HardInfo Report
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
MinHundHettePerro


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 853
Location: SE

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 17:20    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.
Right, so it should read like
Quote:
PACKAGE REQUIRED: atk,bzip2,cairo,dbus,dbus-glib,expat,fontconfig,freetype,gcc,cxxlibs|gcc-g++,gdk-pixbuf2,glib2,gtk+3,libICE,libSM,libX11,libXau,libXcomposite,libXcursor,libXdamage,libXdmcp,libXext,libXfixes,libXi,libXinerama,libXrandr,libXrender,libmcs,libmowgli,libpng,libxcb,pango,pixman,util-linux,zlib
?

Anyway, I'll test to edit the list when I log in to Slacko-5.3.6.0_K3.2.30-4g in a while .........

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

_________________
Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2128
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2012, 17:36    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:

I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.


I just noticed that the audacious in the Salix repo is 3.3.1, the one that I'm using is 3.3.2 but I don't see a changelog anywhere so I don't know what's new.

EDIT: I took a stab at exaile, I wasn't successfull but I did find out that it can't be run as root.
I got it going in slackware 14 after I compiled 2 modules that were missing.

EDIT2: I compiled audacious 3.2.2 in slacko 5.3.3, that wasn't easy! Smile
audacious.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   30.7 KB
 Viewed   1119 Time(s)

audacious.jpg

exaile330.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   24.81 KB
 Viewed   1254 Time(s)

exaile330.jpg


Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ICPUG

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 1290
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 08:11    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Other distros, like TinyCore or Fatdog, have a "wait" boot argument to handle this problem with USB devices.

If the same situation is occurring with your hard drive, it would be useful to know if my "sleep 5" suggestion makes any difference.


I need to return to my problem of my booting a frugal install of Fatslacko requiring PMEDIA to be removed to make it work - to let you know what I have found out.

I have found that the source of the problem was nothing to do with PMEDIA or it requiring a sleep parameter in the init to wait for detection. The real problem was that my PC builder installed Windows on the 2nd hard drive - leaving the first drive unformatted. This was not how I wanted it, of course, but I did not realise it until I started playing with Puppy and seeing the drive partition icons coming up sdb?.

In this configuration I had expected grub to require references to (hd1,4) but in fact that failed and (hd0,4) was still required. My original kernel line in menu.lst was then something like:

kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=sda5 psubdir=fatslacko ...

This failed to find the sfs file and eventually removing the PMEDIA=atahd made it work. I thus assumed PDEV1=sda5 was correct (working on my knowledge of the init logic in Puppy4). However the recent discussion here and rcrsn51's suggestion that, if PMEDIA is omitted, Puppy now ignores all other search boot codes and looks everywhere led me to conclude that when I got it working by removing PMEDIA, PDEV1 was not in fact doing anything.

I questioned in my mind whether perhaps, originally, PDEV1 was wrong and, despite grub referring to (hd0,4), Puppy still detected the drives properly and my sfs was actually on sdb.

I tried:
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=sdb5 psubdir=fatslacko ...

It worked!

I am sorry for diverting the frugal discussion somewhat but we have learned something:

1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive but Puppy does!
2) It seems PMEDIA is now mandatory if you want to restrict search with PDEV1 and psubdir

Thanks to rcrsn51 for sticking with me and his suggestions that have led to this new found knowledge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9203
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 08:30    Post_subject:  

ICPUG wrote:
1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive

GRUB gets its information from the BIOS. You would think that the BIOS would be aware of a drive even if it was unformatted.

But I once had a situation where GRUB ignored a drive simply because no partition on it had a boot flag set - even though GRUB doesn't use the boot flag! I concluded that the BIOS was skipping the drive because it didn't appear to be bootable.

Maybe the same thing is happening with your sda. Try putting a little dummy partition on it and flagging it bootable. Does (hd1,0) now work as expected?

Then take the boot flag off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
ETP


Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 552
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:47    Post_subject: Booting  

ICPUG,

This may be a red herring, but looking at your last post did you actually use:

PMEDIA= or pmedia=

Similarly did you use:

PDEV1= or pdev1=

If the former in both cases, puppy may have simply ignored those boot codes, relied on its own search algorithms and come to the right or wrong conclusion itself. If puppy does not recognise a boot code it simply ignores it and AFAIK the case matters.

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree and you were just emphasizing those codes.

_________________
Regards ETP
Accessibility Pups: -- Magoo -- The Pup With No Name -- MouseCam -- Obedient
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Jim1911

Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 2457
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 13:03    Post_subject:  Bibletime 2.9.1-s  

Hi Mick,

Thank you for including Bibletime 2.9.1-s in the puppy-slacko repository, however, I've had a few problems installing it with the PPM. All the files appear to be present however the program can't find some dependencies. Also the Bibletime.desktop file needs a minor edit so it can find the correct icon. Change /usr/share/applications/bibletime.desktop Icon from Icon=mini-Personal to:
Code:
Icon=/share/bibletime/icons/bibletime.png
This is on a fresh frugal installation with no software installed except Bibletime. In order to provide pictures during troubleshooting, I did install radky's PupSnap screen capture.

Thanks again for your finest Slacko to date, it's solid on my hardware. Very Happy

Jim
image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45.41 KB
 Viewed   1119 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7836
Location: qld

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 16:41    Post_subject:  

Hi Jim

I haven't updated anything in PPM just yet. All those packages are compat with 13.37 versions of Slacko, so YMMV in whatever you install from PPM at this stage.

I'm still waiting on a resolution to a critical issue before I upload anything to the main repo. With the next beta, if this isn't resolved by then, I'll have to announce that PPM testing should be restricted to slackware repos only. Apologies for any inconvenience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jades

Netgear dongles are notorious for poor Linux support. It took many years for the kernel developers to get it right for the netgear-wg111-v2, which they eventually did. The symptoms were similar to what you say and the solution for stable connection was to reduce the rate of the thing from full speed to a fraction. I'm not sure what would be optimal for a, IEEE-802.11n dongle though as they ramped up the speed significantly. To change the rate:
Code:
iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed
..and if it works
Code:
echo "iwconfig wlan0 rate 11M fixed" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
..and reboot, that will make it permanent.

Also, post your dmesg output, it may be firmware or similar.

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
MinHundHettePerro


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 853
Location: SE

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 18:28    Post_subject:  

On audacious:

I did install all the dependencies of audacious (including gtk+3) and, voilà, it worked Smile.

Had a misconceptual fear of gtk+3 programs not being runnable on gtk+2 puppies Embarassed.

(Yes, I really should update that ghastly, outdated audacious/xmms/winamp skin of mine Embarassed Razz.)

Cheers Smile/ MHHP
audacious..jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   147.64 KB
 Viewed   1277 Time(s)

audacious..jpg


_________________
Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7836
Location: qld

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 23:34    Post_subject:  

Haha!

I have slacky.eu repo working Cool . Not much there yet as mentioned but they just keep on adding stuff to it over the life of the the distro.

I just installed rekonq (a kde webkit browser) and it worked first go, correct menu and all, but I had all the deps from kdegames already.. interesting to see how it goes from scratch, I'll try when the next beta is ready.

Attached is the pet to add Slacky to PPM. You'll need to update PPM but NOT THE SLACKO REPO (it will break at this stage), then you'll need to configure PPM.
slacky_repo_14_0_PPM-1.patch.pet
Description 
pet

 Download 
Filename  slacky_repo_14_0_PPM-1.patch.pet 
Filesize  818 Bytes 
Downloaded  371 Time(s) 
capture17811.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   27.81 KB
 Viewed   948 Time(s)

capture17811.jpg


_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2128
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 03:32    Post_subject: Slacko - beta [5.4]
Sub_title: qupzilla
 

Hi 01micko, here's a qt web browser that works well.
I downloaded the newest flash plugin and put it in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins so it plays videos at cnn.com but you may
have to use the refresh item to get the video started.

The source is available here:

http://www.qupzilla.com/download
capture21849.png
 Description   
 Filesize   155.42 KB
 Viewed   911 Time(s)

capture21849.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4797
Location: GB

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 10:19    Post_subject:  

Still busy on other projects but just time for a brief interjection.
I've also had a lot of grief with my Netgear wg111 USB dongle, aka Cohiba3887/WistonNewebURo54g/IntelsilISL3887/w.h.y.
There have been three issues:
-doesn't connect at all
-lights up but doesn't persist
-some connection utilities far too complex to unravel
Many, but not all, of these features have been observed with Puppy variants.
On the other hand some distros behave perfectly with it. Why should they not because they all have Prism054g (p54g) embedded and functional in their kernels of almost all ages.
Not being a coder, I have absolutely no idea where the problems lie. However, I would strongly recommend everyone on this Forum, using the NG dongle or not, to take a gander at PCLOS 2012-02 Phoenix Xfce edition. This has to be an exercise from Tex on how-to-do-it - Netgear wi-fi, par excellence. Even an HW geek like me can follow it. Moreover, it works and keeps working - rock solid.
Those who understand popping, peeking and poking might do well to study this guy's handiwork, even though he has had detractors on the InterWeb in the past. The fella really understands users like no-one else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
BHINTZ

Joined: 08 Aug 2006
Posts: 143

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 16:46    Post_subject:  

grub4dos want to install on sda1 but generates an error because sda1 gets the following message:

The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
Failed to read vcn 0x2: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only.

Does anyone understand this? This is a new machine AspireOne AO756. I can still boot windows 7, but the boot files are on sda2. I can boot from slacko from usb but can't boot frugal and don't want to destroy windows.

Any help will be appreciated

bob
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rcrsn51


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 9203
Location: Stratford, Ontario

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 17:48    Post_subject:  

BHINTZ wrote:
and don't want to destroy windows.

Then you need to be very careful about letting Grub4Dos mess with your bootloader mechanism.

On many Win7 machines, the first partition is for emergency recovery. You shouldn't be touching it.
Quote:
but the boot files are on sda2

Whose boot files? Windows or Puppy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 21 of 49 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1216s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0161s) ][ GZIP on ]