Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 17:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.2
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 8 of 88 [1308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 86, 87, 88 Next
Author Message
linux

Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 10:21    Post subject:  

I will give that a try. Thanks for your help

I think the Sigmatel AC97 Audio drivers are needed for my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 11:19    Post subject: trash panel applet  

Well, I've found a new bug with the trash panel applet. After installing patch-004, while you can add the plugin to the panel, and it does function correctly, upon rebooting (with savefile), it does not reappear. It isn't in the panel after reboot.

So until we get that sorted out, you may want to avoid using this particular panel plugin unless you want to have to add it after every reboot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 12:52    Post subject:  

Please review the first post on this thread as it has been heavily edited to include some pertinent information, from bug fixes and wallpaper, to plans Geoffrey and I are discussing for the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 13:41    Post subject: lightning plugin  

GoneSouth wrote:
Also did anyone think of including the lightning plugin for thunderbird

Plugins are a personal preference kind of thing thing. This plugin is easy to install within Thunderbird. While this plugin may be valuable to many, our ISO is large enough without adding extras such as this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 14:15    Post subject: Re: xfce Panel  

Pete22 wrote:
...have these black boxes. Are they supposed to look like this?

Unfortunately, yes. Geoffrey and i have identified the following themes as problematic, either due to the "black box" effect, or because of disappearing right-click menu issues. The following themes will not be available on Carolina-002:

Clearlooks Revamp
TerraNova-Aquarius
TerraNova-Candy
TerraNova-Clarius
Gflat-grahpite
Gflat-quicksilver
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2536
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 16:12    Post subject:  

carolina wrote:
If you have an artistic flair, we need your wallpaper! So long as the said wallpaper is not copyright protected, and it includes the Carolina watermark in a non-invasive manner (the watermark can be found here), your wallpaper could find it's way into the next Carolina Linux release.


Any particular theme in mind for these? eg nature photos/images only, or is it wide open?

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 1.1! Get the PetGet patch on pg8; it's important.
Next system will be an HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo in an innovative case... if I ever get off my butt and build it Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 16:21    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Any particular theme in mind for these? eg nature photos/images only, or is it wide open?

If you look at the wallpaper included in caroiina-001, that should give you a guide. But if it's good, we're certainly open to anything...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2536
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 16:37    Post subject:  

OK so mostly nature stuff.

Only wallpaper I ever made is the one I made this morning. It's a flying saucer wallpaper, because my head is usually in outer space somewhere Razz

I can stick a Carolina logo on it and post it, if you'd like.

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 1.1! Get the PetGet patch on pg8; it's important.
Next system will be an HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo in an innovative case... if I ever get off my butt and build it Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
elroy


Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 374

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 16:54    Post subject:  

Go for it, starhawk. It's like dating a woman...all we can say is "no". And who knows, we may get out-voted by the users...we're new, we're brash, and we're open to pretty much anything, so long as it moves puppy forward, and not towards the past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2536
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 18:15    Post subject:  

Here you go Very Happy 1600x1200 *.jpg. All I did from the original is add the 'lina logo at 128x128px size.

It's supposed to be all black&white, BTW -- a nod to the early (and campy) sci-fi films of the '60s, '50s, and earlier.
lina-ufo.jpg
Description  Far out, man. Far out.
jpg

 Download 
Filename  lina-ufo.jpg 
Filesize  115.85 KB 
Downloaded  370 Time(s) 

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 1.1! Get the PetGet patch on pg8; it's important.
Next system will be an HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo in an innovative case... if I ever get off my butt and build it Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 764
Location: Union New Jersey USA

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 18:32    Post subject: Wireless Solved -- Thanks guys  

Thanks elroy, Geoffrey & pemasu,

Your work on firmware did the trick. Frisbee now works fine. My specs here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=656619#656619

One thing, Unless I did something wrong, some of your patches were not pets by tar.gz. Confusing to noobs, and me. But I discovered that right-clicking brought down a menu with a convert to pet option. Nice touch.

Saluki pets confirmed to work: xvidcap, galculator.
Other pets: wine-1.4.1, Nightingale
Maybe: Saluki-gtk-youtube-viewer -- it works, but required perl which over-wrote lots of stuff. Not sure of the effect. Did not try to download vids.

mikesLr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yerc1

Joined: 09 Jan 2009
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 20:42    Post subject: Font size adjustment  

elroy wrote:
Well, I've found a new bug with the trash panel applet. After installing patch-004, while you can add the plugin to the panel, and it does function correctly, upon rebooting (with savefile), it does not reappear. It isn't in the panel after reboot.

So until we get that sorted out, you may want to avoid using this particular panel plugin unless you want to have to add it after every reboot.


Thanks elroy and Geoffrey. I can see how quickly you are addressing the issues raised here. I have no problem waiting for the fix.

My font size adjustment question:
Carolina is the first to introduce me to Clementine and UMPlayer which have more features compared to similar apps. What I noticed is that they do not adjust well to font change from within a theme or from window manager option. UMPlayer has an option in its Preferences menu to take care of changing the font size for its menu, but I can't seem to find a similar feature for Clementine. There's an option to increase the font size of song lyrics in Clementine, but none that I can find for menu text size. Is there a way to adjust the Clementine menu font sizes?

Thanks for Carolina!
Please continue with this great project.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete22


Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 239
Location: Utah, USA

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 22:04    Post subject:  Frisbee on the fritz  

Ok. Different computer. In fact my brother brought me six laptops to put Carolina on. Wink

Downloaded Carolina iso.
Downloaded patch 4. Installed as per elroy's directions.

No go for Frisbee; nor for any of the other network interfaces for that matter.
Manually Downloaded drivers. Still no go.

b43
and
ipw2100

I would have downloaded ipw2200 also but it wasn't there.


Any ideas?

Pete.


Edit: I just tried carolina-firmware-fix-0.0.1-pemasu.pet and was able to
get a network wizard connection. However, Frisbee was a no go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1217
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 23:05    Post subject: Re: Font size adjustment  

yerc1 wrote:
elroy wrote:
Well, I've found a new bug with the trash panel applet. After installing patch-004, while you can add the plugin to the panel, and it does function correctly, upon rebooting (with savefile), it does not reappear. It isn't in the panel after reboot.

So until we get that sorted out, you may want to avoid using this particular panel plugin unless you want to have to add it after every reboot.


Thanks elroy and Geoffrey. I can see how quickly you are addressing the issues raised here. I have no problem waiting for the fix.

My font size adjustment question:
Carolina is the first to introduce me to Clementine and UMPlayer which have more features compared to similar apps. What I noticed is that they do not adjust well to font change from within a theme or from window manager option. UMPlayer has an option in its Preferences menu to take care of changing the font size for its menu, but I can't seem to find a similar feature for Clementine. There's an option to increase the font size of song lyrics in Clementine, but none that I can find for menu text size. Is there a way to adjust the Clementine menu font sizes?

Thanks for Carolina!
Please continue with this great project.


Clementine and UMPlayer are both Qt applications, I had a Look at Clementine you would have to install the qt_DEV-4.8.0 package,
this contains qtconfig, that will allow you to modify all of the Qt applications, this is global for Qt.
when installed there will be a Development menu entry that contains qtconfig along with other development apps.

If you don't want to install the development pack there is another alternative, dingo has a qtconfig HERE that is a static build,
I tried this and it works, it is a single executable file, there is no install or menu for it, when downloaded right-click it, go to properties > permissions
and check Allow this file to run as a program double click to run, then you will be able to change fonts and the look of the GUI along with other options,
use at your own risk, if in doubt use the Development pack application, if you known what your doing, try it.
qtconfig.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   65.64 KB
 Viewed   620 Time(s)

qtconfig.jpg


_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Geoffrey


Joined: 30 May 2010
Posts: 1217
Location: Queensland Australia ɹǝpu∩uʍop

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 23:20    Post subject: Re: Wireless Solved -- Thanks guys  

mikeslr wrote:
Thanks elroy, Geoffrey & pemasu,

Your work on firmware did the trick. Frisbee now works fine. My specs here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=656619#656619

One thing, Unless I did something wrong, some of your patches were not pets by tar.gz. Confusing to noobs, and me. But I discovered that right-clicking brought down a menu with a convert to pet option. Nice touch.

Saluki pets confirmed to work: xvidcap, galculator.
Other pets: wine-1.4.1, Nightingale
Maybe: Saluki-gtk-youtube-viewer -- it works, but required perl which over-wrote lots of stuff. Not sure of the effect. Did not try to download vids.

mikesLr


Saluki-gtk-youtube-viewer doesn't work for me, I believe this will need to be updated, UMPlayer which is included in Carolina searchs and plays Youtube.

The patch-xxx.tar.gz shouldn't be made into a pet
Quote:
To use a patch, download and extract the patch-xxx.tar.gz, enter the extracted folder and open a terminal from within the folder (right-click-->Open Terminal Here...), and type ./install.sh to install the patch. Don't forget to press the enter key

_________________
Carolina: Recent Repository Additions
Create strikethrough text HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 88 [1308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 86, 87, 88 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0886s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0152s) ][ GZIP on ]