Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

#121 Post by starhawk »

Hey, just checking -- Geoffrey and elroy, did you see my post with the wallpaper attachment?

mavrothal

#122 Post by mavrothal »

I was wondering why the "patches" for updating carolina are not provided as pets?
AFAICS they are not real patches in the linux-sense. Just copy over files, what pets do just fine and clicking on a pet is much easier for the user I think
Last edited by mavrothal on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

pemasu

#123 Post by pemasu »

Qt apps obey the configuration file called Trolltech.conf. If you place that configuration textfile in /root/.config....you can change the menu font size.

And you wont need qtconfig app, or devx sfs or other separate configuration framework.

I attach here my Trolltech.conf. It installs to the /root/.config. Just change the font rows to your liking inside that file.
Attachments
qt-configuration-textfile-0.0.1.pet
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 666 times

elroy

#124 Post by elroy »

mavrothal wrote:I was wondering why the "patches" for updating carolina are not provided as pets?
AFAICS they are not real patches in the linux-sense. Just copy over files, what pets do just fine and clicking on a pet is much easier for the user I think
Yes, many have complained about that, or at least have had some confusion. Pets give warnings when potentially overwriting files, and we wanted to avoid that, also.

So we decided to make a pet that will automatically download and install the patches. It can be found on the first post of this thread.

elroy

Re: Font size adjustment

#125 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:I have no problem waiting for the fix..
Trash applet for the panel now works correctly.

linux

#126 Post by linux »

Please can anyone tell me what settings I would need to change to run a write protected USB stick with Carolina. Please see attached screenshot. Saluki runs read only fine, so I am assuming I need to change permissions but I am not sure where to do this.

I am quite new to Linux so any help will be appreciated
Attachments
DSC01662.jpg
(39.46 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times

elroy

#127 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:Please can anyone tell me what settings I would need to change to run a write protected USB stick with Carolina.
Boot up from another computer (you mentioned in another post you have carolina running on your laptop and desktop). Then plug the USB in and mount it (you can do that from inside the thunar filemanager). Open a terminal window and enter "mount" (without the quotes). press enter. Post the output here on the forum.

If you have your USB stick formatted to UDF, it will be read only. It would need to be reformatted to ext4, fat, or some other format with gparted.

I tried to duplicate what you experienced with the information you gave, but I couldn't. I made the savefile read only, but it worked just fine.

mavrothal

#128 Post by mavrothal »

elroy wrote:[Pets give warnings when potentially overwriting files, and we wanted to avoid that
I remember Jemimah mentioning that this warning was mainly for full installs where overwriting the file is irreversible and uninstalling the pet will yield a system without the respective file.
I guess she never got around to make it conditional for the given PUPMODE only.
Not on Carolina currently but should not be too hard :wink:

BTW, you may want to add an error check after wget in your lina-patcher script, in case smokey or the network is down or the file moved or something, so "please wait..." will not stay for ever.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Pete22

flash

#129 Post by Pete22 »

Carolina has flash 11.1.102.62.

I have a program that needs the current flash which is: 11.2.202.243

I've installed the latest version from a .rpm and from tar.gz.
However, Firefox continues to only see flash 11.1.102.62.

Is it possible for Carolina to come with the latest version, especially since it is the last version for linux?

Pete

elroy

#130 Post by elroy »

mavrothal wrote:...you may want to add an error check after wget in your lina-patcher script, in case smokey or the network is down or the file moved or something, so "please wait..." will not stay for ever.
Done.

elroy

#131 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:My font size adjustment question:
Carolina is the first to introduce me to Clementine and UMPlayer which have more features compared to similar apps. What I noticed is that they do not adjust well to font change from within a theme or from window manager option. UMPlayer has an option in its Preferences menu to take care of changing the font size for its menu, but I can't seem to find a similar feature for Clementine. There's an option to increase the font size of song lyrics in Clementine, but none that I can find for menu text size. Is there a way to adjust the Clementine menu font sizes?
The latest patch adds qtconfig to the Control Panel-->Desktop and to the system. This will allow you to make these adjustments.

mikeslr

Umplayer -- nice

#132 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Geoffrey & elroy;

Umplayer: nice, hadn't tried it before. Eliminates the need to use gtk-youtube-viewer to search and, having Shoutcast, also my reason for installing Songbird or Nightingale . Will have to explore it some more.

Thanks,

mikesLr

elroy

Re: Umplayer -- nice

#133 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:Umplayer: nice, hadn't tried it before. Eliminates the need to use gtk-youtube-viewer to search and, having Shoutcast, also my reason for installing Songbird or Nightingale
We removed the gtk-youtube-viewer from the repo last night. Both Geoffrey and I have had issues with it working correctly before.

elroy

Re: flash

#134 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:Carolina has flash 11.1.102.62.
I have a program that needs the current flash which is: 11.2.202.243.
Is it possible for Carolina to come with the latest version, especially since it is the last version for linux?
It's been added to the repo thanks to your mentioning it, and it will be default on the next version of carolina.

You can download it here - flashplayer-11.2.202.243.pet

wsamh

#135 Post by wsamh »

Is there anyway you can add mumble to the repos?

yerc1

#136 Post by yerc1 »

@Geoffrey and pemasu

You were both right about adjusting fonts in Qt apps. Thanks guys.
On my netbook, Clementine, UMPlayer and Photo are now in line with the overall Carolina look, after the font adjustments. However, a few minor issues surfaced:

1 - In Clementine, the tiny fonts were retained for the sidebar. Can those be changed as well? (1st screenshot from bottom)
2 - For UMPlayer, the top menu follow the font size set in the config file so long as no skin is selected. On applying any of the skins (all are cool, i think), the top menu font size turn tiny. I used pfind to search for individual skin files (thought they might also have an entry i could edit to control the menu font size) but none found. Now i'm greedy coz I want both the skin and the bigger menu font :-). Any idea how? (2nd, 3rd screenshots)
3 - Qt Configuration appears to have a fixed window size that's too big for my netbook screen. Is it possible to allow for a scroll bar? (screenshot4)

@elroy
I confirm that Trash panel applet is now working well for me.

Carolina is getting better and better.
And at a speed I'm very happy with....
Thanks for all your hard work!
Attachments
Qt configuration fixed window size.png
(77.11 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
UMPlayer on Mac skin.png
(36.02 KiB) Downloaded 1269 times
UMPlayer no skin.png
(18.73 KiB) Downloaded 1268 times
Clementine sidebar font.png
(146.87 KiB) Downloaded 696 times

linux

#137 Post by linux »

elroy wrote:
linux wrote:Please can anyone tell me what settings I would need to change to run a write protected USB stick with Carolina.
Boot up from another computer (you mentioned in another post you have carolina running on your laptop and desktop). Then plug the USB in and mount it (you can do that from inside the thunar filemanager). Open a terminal window and enter "mount" (without the quotes). press enter. Post the output here on the forum.

If you have your USB stick formatted to UDF, it will be read only. It would need to be reformatted to ext4, fat, or some other format with gparted.

I tried to duplicate what you experienced with the information you gave, but I couldn't. I made the savefile read only, but it worked just fine.
I think I may have found part of the problem, my save file is 620,072KB and the memory stick is 981MB! Formatted to FAT. I did not notice how large the file had become adding extra software. Here is the full screen view of the boot problem on my USB stick with the read only button on.

Thanks again for your help

elroy

mumble

#138 Post by elroy »

wsamh wrote:Is there anyway you can add mumble to the repos?
If you would be so kind to test this out and let me know if it works for you, I'd appreciate it - mumble-1.2.4.pet

Geoffrey

#139 Post by Geoffrey »

yerc1 wrote: 1 - In Clementine, the tiny fonts were retained for the sidebar. Can those be changed as well? (1st screenshot from bottom)
2 - For UMPlayer, the top menu follow the font size set in the config file so long as no skin is selected. On applying any of the skins (all are cool, i think), the top menu font size turn tiny. I used pfind to search for individual skin files (thought they might also have an entry i could edit to control the menu font size) but none found. Now i'm greedy coz I want both the skin and the bigger menu font!
Clementine has no theme changer, maybe the next stable release will have this feature.

UMPlayer, I have found a way to increase the font size in the top panel, I tried all combinations of settings and settled on these.

If the font is larger than 11pt no font will show, I think it looks ok at this comparing the images below.

For example in /usr/share/umplayer/themes/Mac/ edit the main.css file adding this code

Code: Select all

font-family: DejaVu Sans; 
    font-size: 11pt;
Do the same to the other themes main.css files

If this works out ok from testing, we could add this change to the package, let us know how it works and if any problems arise.
Attachments
edit_main.css.png
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 1143 times
umplayer_font_change.png
(31.87 KiB) Downloaded 1167 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

carolina-updater-1.1.pet

#140 Post by elroy »

A new version of the carolina-updater-1.1.pet is now available.

Thanks to marvs suggestion, it now check to make sure you have a connection, the server isn't down, and that the patch file exists before attempting to download and install a patch.

If you install this pet and have the earlier version installed, please uninstall the earlier version first.