How do I increase memory size ?

Booting, installing, newbie
BADGER.BRAD

How do I increase memory size ?

#1 Post by BADGER.BRAD »

Hello All,

I have downloaded a few files and now get a message saying storage space low increase space or delete programs ( or a message to that affect) Can anyone tell me how I increase the storage space.

My OS is Puppy Linux 0.51 and the kernal is 2.6.33.2 if that helps.

Thanks all Brad

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Go exploring in the Menu. You're looking for an entry that says "resize personal save file" or something like that.

I say 'go exploring' because I'm using a non-Puppy system right now :oops: so I can't remember where exactly it is.

...er, 0.51 would be an early beta of the first Puppy. I assume you mean Wary 511 or similar?

BADGER.BRAD

#3 Post by BADGER.BRAD »

Thanks again Starhawk for yet more help it really is appreciated. I had a look in the Menu and instantly spotted what I was looking for ( I must have been through it 20 times ? As regards the Puppy version I am taking that from Hardware info under the operating system tag I've had another look at it still comes up as Puppy linux 0.51 as the version.

Once I've had a good go with this version which really has given this PC a new lease of life I will upgrade to a later version. Ubuntu based Lubuntu struggled which supposedly is for low spec PC's.

Thanks again

Brad

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Glad to help!
BADGER.BRAD wrote:Once I've had a good go with this version which really has given this PC a new lease of life I will upgrade to a later version. Ubuntu based Lubuntu struggled which supposedly is for low spec PC's.
Ubuntu is a DVD's worth of data, a goodly chunk of which has to load on startup. ANY Ubunutu-based OS is going to be a resource hog. Swapping window managers and/or desktop environments "to run on lower spec systems" is a bit like the proverb about deck chairs on the Titanic: it doesn't matter all that much.

Size does matter, and in many more ways than most people think about!

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

Hi Brad

If that message comes up more often than you'd like (or you're curious), there's always Keep your savefile slim and healthy ..

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

'f00, thank you for posting that -- I followed the "Enrich 'frugal'..." link in that post highly illuminating! (Among other things, I learned why I've gotten GRUB to work exactly once. I tend to favor frugal installs. Not coincidentally, the only time it's worked was on a Full install to an antique laptop.)