Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 02:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Why is my save file filling up? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
RaptureWatcher

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 02:22    Post subject:  Why is my save file filling up? (Solved)
Subject description: It was the browser cache

i'm using the internet and each time the auto save comes on to save RAM into my pupfile my space just decreases, how can i stop Puppy from eating up my storage space? i keep having to add more storage to my pupsave file and it quickly disappears on my next session?
666philb

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 04:04    Post subject:  

hi RaptureWatcher,

it's probably your browser cache filling up... to check go to , Menu>>>Filesystem>>Gdmap

when gdmap starts press open, then open again. This then scans /root/ and will show what's taking up space. Moving the cursor over the blocks will show file names , sizes and location.

now you know what is eating up space (i suspect your browser cache) you can move it onto you harddrive and symlink it back . here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvXafoPWwA

doing this moves it outside the savefile

starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 12:18    Post subject:  

...as a note:

The savefile is a sort of very detailed changelog. It lists the changes one has made to Puppy's filesystem over time, in such a way that these changes can be reapplied on bootup, so that you don't lose anything. When you add a file to anywhere other than /mnt/home, it is placed into the savefile at shutdown, in such a way that Puppy knows where to put it on the next boot. When you delete a file (again, from anywhere other than /mnt/home), out it goes from the savefile. If it weren't for the savefile, it would be like typing pfix=ram at every boot -- there would be no persistence.

That's how that nifty thing works. It's a fancy changelog.

---

So it sounds like something is making a lot of filesystem changes (this can be as simple as adding lots of files). My guess is that 666philb is right, and you're using a browser that has a filesystem-based cache (Firefox is frequently guilty of this!). Deactivate the cache, and find and delete the old cache files, and you should be A-OK.

Or, if you've got a nicely cavernous hard drive (upwards of 80gb I would say) and you're not using much of it... see what happens when you relocate your browser's cache to /mnt/home. (Full disclosure: I've no idea whether or not that's advisable. It's just a thought that occurred to me.)

Good luck -- and do keep us posted!

ravensrest

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 15:19    Post subject:  

Email can also take up a lot of space if you don't delete old mail. I routinely move my entire .mozilla directory to a separate partition with lots of room on it to keep the pupsave file from growing due to internet use. Link the relocated file back to your root directory with a link named ".mozilla" and (if you are using Seamonkey) it will perform as you are accustomed to but all the caching and email files will be in the linked location and your pupsave file will no longer grow because of them.

Another benefit of this approach is that if you use multiple versions of Puppy as I do, they can all share the same internet and email files.
BS
muggins

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012, 08:59    Post subject:  

A good read on this subject here.
RaptureWatcher

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 00:53    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:

it's probably your browser cache filling up...

That's what it was!

i deleted my cache and got something like 150MB back into my personal storage after reboot Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: