Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
01micko

#321 Post by 01micko »

Hello BHINTZ

I would tread carefully here.

The first thing I would do at this point is backup your Windows installation. Create a full image that can recover the OS and your files and probably do a separate backup of your data only.

Second, I would attempt to make the install media from the hidden partition if you haven't already done so. There should be software included in your windows installation to do this. This usually creates a couple of DVDs so I don't know how it would work without a dvd burner, maybe it can make a usb recovery drive? If not, complain to the manufacturer!

If you still want to install linux on your hard drive you can use EasyBCD. I know WhoDo (Puppy 4.2 series developer) swore by this method. It involves altering the Windows bootloader configuration and chainloads grub, grub4dos or lilo.
Linux

EasyBCD can boot into Linux by one of two means:
Chainloading GRUB/GRUB2/LILO/etc.
NeoGrub

The traditional chainloading method creates an image of the GRUB/LILO bootsector on the local disk and loads this image during boot-time in order to chainload the second bootloader which should already be configured to boot into Linux or BSD.[12] EasyBCD has profiles for and officially supports the chainloading of GRUB (Legacy), GRUB2, LILO, eLILO, and Wubi (for Ubuntu).

EasyBCD also ships with NeoGrub, a customized build of Grub for Dos, which can be configured by editing C:\NST\menu.lst with the standard Legacy GRUB syntax for directly booting into the needed Linux or BSD partitions, or chainloading another bootloader to load the OS in question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD

That's the best I can offer for the moment.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#322 Post by 01micko »

Another repo patch, this time adding the "patches' repo from slackware.

You have to update PPM, then configure PPM to show it, avoid updating the Slacko repo.

It looks bare (as in nothing shows) but this is another shortcoming of PPM. The only thing in there at this stage is mozilla-firefox-16.0, which you can find by typing "firefox" into the searchbox of PPM, then scrolling to the bottom of the results list. The list shows it's "already installed" if you have firefox-15.01 installed. :? . It installs fine and runs fine.

Looks like I am going to have to make a lot of patches for PPM. The "already-installed" bug is PPM's inability to handle versions. It thinks gtk+1, gtk+2 and gtk+3 are all installed when in fact only gtk+2 is installed. All 3 can co-exist happily.

Hmmm.. justed noticed that firefox-15.01 directory still resides in /usr/lib .. :x . I think I better get out my hammer...
Attachments
slacko_patches_repo_14_0_PPM-1.patch.pet
(852 Bytes) Downloaded 659 times

01micko

#323 Post by 01micko »

ETP

I think this is the fontwizard you have been talking about.. tweaked to show saved settings.

:?:
Attachments
fontwizard-0.0.1.pet
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

Bill_Gates

Can’t connect to WPA2 encrypted networks!

#324 Post by Bill_Gates »

I upgraded from Slacko 5.3.3 to the PAE version, k3.5.5 because 5.3.3 did not support the touchpad in my Dell e6420 and PAE k3.5.5 does. However now I can not connect to WPA2 encrypted networks. Connecting to Open, WEP and WPA/TKIP networks is no problem but not WPA2.

I tried using both Puppy Network Wizard and Frisbee running from either a Live CD or a USB install.

So back to 5.3.3 until I (with the help of the community) get this worked out! :cry:
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

BHINTZ

#325 Post by BHINTZ »

Just a quick update

I installed grub4dos on the usb slacko and now I can boot from the hard drive win 7 and several puppies on a different partitions.

Now the only problem is how to reduce the backlight which seems to be always at maximum. The ability to reduce screen brightness is the main advantage of the windows OS as in the evening it is almost painful to look at anything on the screen.

Thanks for responses,

bob

ETP

Revised fontwizard pet

#326 Post by ETP »

01micko

Thanks for the revised pet. It was simes who raised the issue in the 5.3.3 bugs thread but I habitually use it and have mentioned it in a recent "How To" ([How To] Tweaking Puppy for Poor Eyesight.)

I have sent simes a pm to draw his attention to your 0.0.1pet
Thanks once again.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

simes

Fontwizard 0.0.1

#327 Post by simes »

Thank you to ETP for his PM. I have installed the new fontwizard-0.0.1 version on my Slacko 5.3.3 system(s) and confirm that it does save the settings now, which gives the user more confidence that it's working.

I think fontwizard is excellent and I install it on all my Puppy systems (all use LCDs). It makes old screens like that on my treasured ThinkPad T42 seem plenty sharp and clear enough, whereas without fontwizard, the screen quality seems poor.

01micko

#328 Post by 01micko »

well @<2k I think fontwizard can go into the build..

ETP, funnily enough I have the older tempicon on the laptop I'm posting from and after a reboot the font went small! (after tweaking with fontwizard)

---------------------------------------------------------

Bill_Gates

It is strange that WPA2 ebcryption is not working for you. I use it and am using the k3.5.5 version right now. However, this version is getting trashed (runs too hot) as I have compiled k3.4.13 (LTS) which still should work with your touchpad and hopefully solve your WPA2 issue.

gcmartin

Re: Can’t connect to WPA2 encrypted networks!

#329 Post by gcmartin »

Bill_Gates wrote:I upgraded from Slacko 5.3.3 to the PAE version, k3.5.5 because 5.3.3 did not support the touchpad in my Dell e6420 and PAE k3.5.5 does. However now I can not connect to WPA2 encrypted networks. Connecting to Open, WEP and WPA/TKIP networks is no problem but not WPA2.

I tried using both Puppy Network Wizard and Frisbee running from either a Live CD or a USB install.

So back to 5.3.3 until I (with the help of the community) get this worked out! :cry:
I had a somewhat similar connection problem. I was able to get around ti by using "Network Wizard" (not Frisbee; not SNS) from the LAN button of Menu>Setup>Internet Connection Wizard.

This "may" get you on the air.

Here to help
Edited
P.S. I was able to use Frisbee after I did a save-session, reboot.
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 11 Oct 2012, 21:38, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#330 Post by 01micko »

MHHP

gapan has solved the depfinder issue on the Salix forum, so in future versions we can test out installing audacious and be confident that at least the database has the correct dependencies listed.

So that's one upstream bug solved out of.. how many? :roll:

MinHundHettePerro

#331 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:MHHP

gapan has solved the depfinder issue on the Salix forum, so in future versions we can test out installing audacious and be confident that at least the database has the correct dependencies listed.
:) Thanks for running that one down (and up(stream)) - will re-download the Slackware-14.0 PACKAGES.TXT from Salix ...........
So that's one upstream bug solved out of.. how many? :roll:
:roll: :wink: :P :P

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Q5sys

Re: cinnamon 1.6

#332 Post by Q5sys »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Jejy69,

Somewhat of a cryptic post about cinnamon 1.6. Was it supposed to be to the LXPup thread? Looks like a rather interesting alternative desktop. Is there a pet? or can it be downloaded and installed using one of the sources listed here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61? Which? Or will that depend on which Puppy?

mikesLr
Cinnamon is a fork of gnome. Im sure it can be installed using the slackware repos when thats worked out and is working smoothly.

ETP

Fontwizard 0.0.1

#333 Post by ETP »

01micko wrote:
well @<2k I think fontwizard can go into the build..

ETP, funnily enough I have the older tempicon on the laptop I'm posting from and after a reboot the font went small! (after tweaking with fontwizard)
Some brief research tells me that SVG does not support hinting. This explains my previous observations. Having said that, the current blue SVG temperature images are fine with or without fontwizard. It would make a worthy addition to the build as it benefits not only those with poor vision but anyone with a small low resolution LCD screen.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

ICPUG

#334 Post by ICPUG »

rcrsn51 wrote:
ICPUG wrote:1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive
GRUB gets its information from the BIOS. You would think that the BIOS would be aware of a drive even if it was unformatted.

But I once had a situation where GRUB ignored a drive simply because no partition on it had a boot flag set - even though GRUB doesn't use the boot flag! I concluded that the BIOS was skipping the drive because it didn't appear to be bootable.

Maybe the same thing is happening with your sda. Try putting a little dummy partition on it and flagging it bootable. Does (hd1,0) now work as expected?

Then take the boot flag off.
I am not going to try this any time soon. I am very worried now that if I create partitions/format that disk Windows will start to recognise it, get upset and not boot (or worse still says it is a pirate copy because the hardware configuration is different). I know I am being very pessimistic but I don't want to lose anything. I would like to swap the connections on the disks so that they are connected properly but lethargy and confidence prevents me at the moment!

ICPUG

Re: Booting

#335 Post by ICPUG »

ETP wrote:ICPUG,

This may be a red herring, but looking at your last post did you actually use:

PMEDIA= or pmedia=

Similarly did you use:

PDEV1= or pdev1=

If the former in both cases, puppy may have simply ignored those boot codes, relied on its own search algorithms and come to the right or wrong conclusion itself. If puppy does not recognise a boot code it simply ignores it and AFAIK the case matters.

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree and you were just emphasizing those codes.
Just to clarify ETP, I did use those codes like that but they are not the problem.

Case matters in Linux/Puppy BUT these boot codes are acted upon in a script, called init, that Barry wrote. It is how Barry's init interprets the codes that is important. I think it was around series 2 Puppy that these codes had to be in upper case but with the advent of Puppy 3 Barry added some code to convert the codes if they were in the wrong case. They can now be input in either lower case or upper case. I'm just a stick in the mud who persists with what what I have always used from day 1! If it aint broke - don't fix it!

Colonel Panic

#336 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm using the new beta now and I must say I'm impressed; it looks like it's shaping up to be a great release. Thanks and well done for your work so far.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

Slacko - beta [5.4]

#337 Post by Billtoo »

Running from live dvd on intel imac.

Report Video 1.4 - Fri 12 Oct 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.3.6.0 - Linux 3.2.30-4g i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

# glxgears
24530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4905.869 FPS
24945 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4988.933 FPS
24957 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4991.231 FPS

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3095MB (277MB used)

Using a usb sound card.
Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

More setup to do yet but it's working great! :)

EDIT:Setup finished, still working great.
EDIT2:The built-in webcam works too.
Attachments
screenshot3.jpg
(156.06 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.

mcewanw

arecord display issue + ffmpeg not recognising copy decoder

#338 Post by mcewanw »

I like this distribution - it is looking good. A few issues though - the second affecting both pAVrecord and precord. The most important issue first, ffmpeg not recognising 'copy' codec:

1. The provided ffmpeg seems to be broken in that it does not seem to recognise the option -codec copy (the provided ffmpeg reports: unknown decoder 'copy'). pAVrecord http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81332 uses that option to mix audio and video streams without re-encoding. pAVrecord was developed on Slacko-5.3.3 where it all works fine. pAVrecord also works fine in the latest Puppy Precise 5.3.95.1 beta (for the encoders provided there - though the ffmpeg in Precise doesn't unfortunately have libfaac, libxvid, or libx264 enabled).

2. Using arecord to get a simple audio VU meter, isn't displaying correctly. Works in all other puppies including the latest Puppy Precise development. The code used for that simple VU meter in precord (and also in pavrecord):

Code: Select all

arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null
3. Video container type ogv (recommended since 2007 as the extension name for container holding Theora encoded video + vorbis sound) isn't recognised by the default media player. A mime type issue I guess.
github mcewanw

01micko

#339 Post by 01micko »

Hello mcewanw
The provided ffmpeg seems to be broken in that it does not seem to recognise the option -codec copy
As far as I know, that is not a compile time option. It does seem however that in this version (0.11.1) that the developers have changed the behaviour. A quick search reveals many instances of your concern. You may need a work-around. ffmpeg -h doesn't even fit in a terminal window and has to be redirected to a file, over 1500 lines!
arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null
We are shipping with alsa-1.0.26 and again, the developers have changed stuff. From the help:

Code: Select all

-v, --verbose           show PCM structure and setup (accumulative)
-V, --vumeter=TYPE      enable VU meter (TYPE: mono or stereo)
Video container type ogv (recommended since 2007 as the extension name for container holding Theora encoded video + vorbis sound) isn't recognised by the default media player. A mime type issue I guess.
Yes. I can fix that one. :)

mcewanw

#340 Post by mcewanw »

01micko wrote:It does seem however that in this version (0.11.1) that the developers have changed the [ffmpeg] behaviour.
We are shipping with alsa-1.0.26 and again, the developers have changed stuff.
I'll look into that. The alsa change seems trivial.

I hope and presume the change with respect to ffmpeg decoder 'copy' is equally easy to address. I'm surprised that backwards compatibility hasn't been assured by the ffmpeg developers though since the copy option has long been used. Constant changes in usage makes ffmpeg a challenging customer!
github mcewanw