Mastering a new DVD from an existing PUPPY DVD

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
gcmartin

Mastering a new DVD from an existing PUPPY DVD

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Puppy's ability, on a DVD, to boot a session and save the customization anyone makes has been around for years. Many of us have used this technology extensively.

The structure of the PUPPY ISO built by most distro developers are extrememly similar. And, the save-session is identical. The save-session folders created at shutdown on the DVD contains the changes to the filesystem that occurs during the running of the PUP.

Question
Has anyone anywhere in this community made a utility that takes the DVD and all of the "dated" save-session and combined them into either a single save-session OR combined them along with the SFS or flatten the SFS on the DVD to a single folder filesystem suitable for boot?

Seems like something very simple that we may have been overlooking for years....assuming no one has already seen this and produced a utiltiy in Puppy to do so.

Please help if you can with either a tool or a description on how to do this for us DVD users. This is also a method of producing a simple system backup of the DVD's contents for booting...too.

Thanks for any help to do this.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Is this what you mean?

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Flash wrote:Is this what you mean?
Yes, @Flash. This steers proper for what I hoping there is a solution in Puppyland. If there currently is NOT a solution, maybe someone can aid.

What @Flash shares is that the DVD has "dated" folders representing file system changes that has occurred for each time Puppy was shutdown and a session saved.

When Puppy is rebooted from DVD/CD, if it finds prior session(s) on the DVD during boot processing, those prior sessions will be loaded, then SFS processing to further complete the LInux filesystem needs before the process is handed over for desktop service to the console user.

I would like to be able to use a utility to copy the folders and combine that with the SFS so that I can recreate the bootable CD/DVD. By doing so, I have easily and simply copied my OS that exist on the DVD and can use it to boot, of as a saved copy of my Puppy distro. (THIS CAN BE A METHOD TO "REMASTER" THE CONTENTS OF THE DVD WITHOUT PLAYING "20 Questions")

And, this is a creative method of making a backup of that DVD distro with all user's save-sessions and data.

Hope this helps