Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#141 Post by Geoffrey »

Added the latest Sayonara version 0.3 audio player to the repo, update the package list.
LucioCarreras wrote:Hey!

I managed to decrease the memory consumption to about 45 MB and increase performance. :)

Additionally audio tracks and metadata now can be loaded via command line. You can give sayonara a single or multiple files as command line arguments. But be aware of spaces in the filenames. You can use quotation marks around each argument.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

nooby

#142 Post by nooby »

Hope I am not coming through as too lazy. I should restart
and boot up Carolina but just now I am in Lupu528-005
and I have Grandr installed and that allow me to set
one screen to 1024x600 and the external to 1024 x 768
while Carolina as it is can only set both to 1024x600

Is grandr included in menu or do I have to find if in PPM
or on your server?

Something about single click and double click annoyed me too?
Not sure.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

elroy

#143 Post by elroy »

nooby wrote:Is grandr included in menu or do I have to find if in PPM
or on your server?
Hi nooby. Grandr is located in the Control Panel, in the Hardware category.
You can drag it from there to either the desktop or the task bar to create a shortcut by holding down the left click mouse button.

linux

#144 Post by linux »

Booted up Carolina on my brothers old Macbook Pro today. He was most impressed. The on board wireless worked straight away.

We did have a problem with the touch-pad playing around I assume it needs a specific driver. He also has a new Realtek rtl8187 N USB adapter, which was recognised but not working, it has Linux drivers supplied but I am not sure how to add these to Carolina.If anyone can advise me an easy way to do this I would be most grateful.

Once again thanks to everyone for the great work that is being put into this project

wsamh

#145 Post by wsamh »

Every time I try to install my nvidia driver, I use the xorgwiard to choose the nvidia driver. But after choosing, It can't seem to boot to xfce. Do I have to remove nouveau like in Saluki before choosing the nvidia driver?

nooby

#146 Post by nooby »

elroy wrote:
nooby wrote:Is grandr included in menu or do I have to find if in PPM
or on your server?
Hi nooby. Grandr is located in the Control Panel, in the Hardware category.
You can drag it from there to either the desktop or the task bar to create a shortcut by holding down the left click mouse button.
Thanks cool then I give it a new chance.
Much appreciated you cared.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

yerc1

Re: Font size adjustment

#147 Post by yerc1 »

Geoffrey wrote:UMPlayer,
If the font is larger than 11pt no font will show
I think you meant the menu does not show where it's usually located.
On my netbook, the menu is not visible where it was, but at the right side of that same space there's a double- headed arrow that i can click to bring up the menu.
If this works out ok from testing, we could add this change to the package, let us know how it works and if any problems arise.
There's no difference on my netbook when font size is set at 11 and when that change is not applied. So atm, i will either go without applying a skin (if i want the menu fonts to be the same size as in other apps) or live with the tiny menu fonts (if i want the cool skinned look).

What i found interesting was that changing

Code: Select all

background-image: url(bg-menu.png);
to

background-image: url(bg-mediabar.png);
allows setting a bigger font size without resulting in a 'hidden' menu, but the bigger font size does not actually make the menu fonts bigger. Note that bg-mediabar.png is taller than bg-menu.png which is why i decided to experiment with that change. I think the takeaway here is that there may be other factors that affect the menu font size.

Thanks for Carolina.
Looking forward to the next release update.

yerc1

Carolina screenshots

#148 Post by yerc1 »

pretty.
fast.
easy to use.

i have all three and more on Carolina!

a couple of screenies to show . . . :D
Attachments
Carolina screenie_netbook3.png
(93.8 KiB) Downloaded 991 times
Carolina screenie_netbook2.png
(142.47 KiB) Downloaded 692 times

Geoffrey

#149 Post by Geoffrey »

wsamh wrote:Every time I try to install my nvidia driver, I use the xorgwiard to choose the nvidia driver. But after choosing, It can't seem to boot to xfce. Do I have to remove nouveau like in Saluki before choosing the nvidia driver?
If that was the way you did it in Saluki to get it working, then it would be the same for Carolina.
There is a nvidia-glx-304.51-k3.2.13-ski.pet or nvidia-glx-304.51-k3.2.13-ski.sfs in the repo that I made using shinobar's getnvidia-0.7.pet http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 602#649602
I have a GeForce 8600 GT card, this card runs with that driver, though it won't run the game Legends, as it don't appear to like GLX.
For my card I manually install an older driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10, this is the only one that I found to be stable with the GeForce 8600 GT, the Legends game runs fine with it, all the newer drivers I've tried produced lockups.

If you would like to try the older driver, get it here http://smokey01.com/carolina/Extras/NVI ... 290.10.run

To install this driver you will need both the devx_lina_001.sfs and kernel_sources-3.2.13-ski.sfs loaded.
The easiest way I found was to copy the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run to /root and rename it to something shorter, I use nv, then exit to a prompt and type

./nv
press enter, the installer starts, accept the agreement and continue, answer yes or ok to all messages, when finished at the prompt type xorgwizard, from the menu select Choose,
scroll down and select nvidia Nvidia then from the list select your monitors resolution and the test button, a window should appears with the card information,
press enter select finished, at the prompt type xwin, if all went well you should be at the Desktop, that's it, your can test the drivers frame rate by typing glxgears in the terminal.

If you have never installed a driver this way before, it may be better to try it with a new save file first, to be sure it works for you.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Pete22

Different laptop now has internet

#150 Post by Pete22 »

The new Carolina updater and a new install solved my network problems.

Just wondering. I don't see those nifty Xfce tweaks that we got as a pet in
saluki a short time ago. Are they here some where? Or are they coming
before the final release?

Keep up the good work.

Pete

elroy

Re: Different laptop now has internet

#151 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:The new Carolina updater and a new install solved my network problems.

Just wondering. I don't see those nifty Xfce tweaks that we got as a pet in
saluki a short time ago. Are they here some where? Or are they coming
before the final release?
Check out the Control Panel under the Desktop heading and you'll find the XfcePowerTools.

elroy

#152 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:We did have a problem with the touch-pad playing around I assume it needs a specific driver.
You can adjust touch-pad settings from the Control Panel in the Hardware section. There two tiers of tabs. On the second tier you'll see Touchpad. Try this first before trying the next suggestion.

If you can't get it to work from there, try going to Control Panel-->System-->Configure Kernel Modules and choose "click here to add new module". Be patient as it takes quite a while to gather all of the module information. Once it finishes initializing, you'll see two columns. The left will be populated, the right empty. Scroll down the left until you see rt8187, click on it to highlight it, and then click the "Add" button. Click "OK". "EXIT" the Configuration dialog, and then reboot. You'll have to be sure to be using a savefile, as a RAM boot won't save the settings.

yr1945

#153 Post by yr1945 »

@Geoffrey & Elroy...

Just a brief note to THANK YOU again for Carolina...

As you may know, I am a big Saluki fan... it has been my primary OS from Tman's first build, ie, luki-001... ((ps, I realize that after the first few builds, Jemimah took over))... Saluki is a fantastic OS... but, since it will not be maintained... I finally realized that I must move on...

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am now using Carolina-001 as my primary OS... with a customized Adrive... and, I wanted to say that Patch updates/fixes was very creative...

Also, I wanted to let you know that I really like the Midori Browser... even with all the bugs...

It would be great if someone could take over Jemimah's efforts and make Midori more desirable for the PuppyLinux Community... it is easily configured, it is simple, it is fast... and, it is only 4MB... or thereabouts...

I wanted to let you know that when using Saluki... Midori would crash 4 or 5 times per day... however, with Carolina... Midori seldom crashes... I wonder why???

Anyway, keep up the good work... and, THANKS again...

elroy

#154 Post by elroy »

yr1945 wrote:...I just wanted to let you know that I am now using Carolina-001 as my primary OS... with a customized Adrive... and, I wanted to say that Patch updates/fixes was very creative....
Thanks for the kind words of support, yr1945. Both Geoffrey and I are also big Saluki fans; that's the main reason we decided to do this. Also, speaking for myself, this has been an invaluable learning experience.

With the size of the Carolina ISO, we thought it best to come up with some method of fixing bugs in a simple manner rather than requiring Carolina users to download a large ISO every time we fixed a few bugs. While it certainly isn't a one-to-one correlation of what Carolina-002 will be, at least it helps make it more usable without having to force people to spend most of their time downloading large ISO's every few days. It's also a great way to test if a fix works correctly.

I'm glad that you're enjoying Carolina, and I hope your enjoyment continues.

Pete22

I am hoping for a couple of tweaks

#155 Post by Pete22 »

You inherited this one from from Saluki.

Problem: I always go in and set my default programs before I get started
doing much. And you guys have set evince as the default pdf opener, which is great.
However, when I first open a pdf in Carolina or saluki it always tries to
to open it with epdfview. I go in to set run action. It says open with:
epdfview "$1"

As near as I can tell epdfview is not installed. Maybe it is, but I can not get it to run.

The Open With menu always includes epdfview instead of evince,
as does Send To. But they have the caution sign to warn you that it
is a broken link.

[By the way: You will notice that there are at least three programs that
always show up in Open with and Send to with caution signs.]

If wishes were fishes I would like both Open with and Send to to include Evince.
And while your at it, I would like to add petget too.

Now for an added feature request that relates to this same problem.:
Firefox can not open any file or folder even though it looks like it could.
See the example below:

Why doesn't the Send to listing come up so a user can at least
choose an application to open a file, or exo-open to open a folder?

Or better yet: is there a way that Firefox can be configured so it uses the
correct program to open files and folders? Could this open with or
send to command be linked to the default applications somehow, so
that the files and folders would open when they are clicked on? .

If this could be done, it would make Carolina stand out in the crowd of
Puppies as even more friendly to nongeeks, and/or folks new to linux.

Pete
Attachments
Currently firefox will not open files or folders.png
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times

Geoffrey

Re: I am hoping for a couple of tweaks

#156 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete

Your wish is our command, this is being dealt with, it took me a while to work out you are using Roxfiler, I'll remove the non existent apps, add evince and petget.

As for Firefox that will be seen to also, in the mean time in the popup that say's choose, navigate to /usr/bin/xdg-open and tick the checkbox to use it every time,
this is linked to exo-open, then the Thunar filemanager will open the containing folder or use Open to run the appropriate application.

a0damasco

wallpaper

#157 Post by a0damasco »

Attachments
VistaPrevia.png
(41.3 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times

Geoffrey

Re: wallpaper

#158 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm unable to view or download this image, it appears an account is needed.

To keep the file size to a minimum, the images for backgrounds should be in the jpg format and from a location that is easily accessible.

a0damasco

Re: wallpaper

#159 Post by a0damasco »

Geoffrey wrote:
I'm unable to view or download this image, it appears an account is needed.

To keep the file size to a minimum, the images for backgrounds should be in the jpg format and from a location that is easily accessible.
photo upload

rg66

#160 Post by rg66 »

Here's a wallpaper for Carolina. The original image is from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net so there should be no problem.

Edit: Updated with the better logo and added another wallpaper with the "howling carolina".
Last edited by rg66 on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]