Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 05:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 23 of 49 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 17:48    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
MHHP

gapan has solved the depfinder issue on the Salix forum, so in future versions we can test out installing audacious and be confident that at least the database has the correct dependencies listed.
Smile Thanks for running that one down (and up(stream)) - will re-download the Slackware-14.0 PACKAGES.TXT from Salix ...........

Quote:
So that's one upstream bug solved out of.. how many? Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes Wink Razz Razz

Cheers Smile/ MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
Q5sys

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012, 20:46    Post_subject: Re: cinnamon 1.6  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Jejy69,

Somewhat of a cryptic post about cinnamon 1.6. Was it supposed to be to the LXPup thread? Looks like a rather interesting alternative desktop. Is there a pet? or can it be downloaded and installed using one of the sources listed here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61? Which? Or will that depend on which Puppy?

mikesLr

Cinnamon is a fork of gnome. Im sure it can be installed using the slackware repos when thats worked out and is working smoothly.

ETP

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012, 06:00    Post_subject: Fontwizard 0.0.1  

01micko wrote:
Quote:
well @<2k I think fontwizard can go into the build..

ETP, funnily enough I have the older tempicon on the laptop I'm posting from and after a reboot the font went small! (after tweaking with fontwizard)

Some brief research tells me that SVG does not support hinting. This explains my previous observations. Having said that, the current blue SVG temperature images are fine with or without fontwizard. It would make a worthy addition to the build as it benefits not only those with poor vision but anyone with a small low resolution LCD screen.

ICPUG

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012, 07:44    Post_subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
ICPUG wrote:
1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive

GRUB gets its information from the BIOS. You would think that the BIOS would be aware of a drive even if it was unformatted.

But I once had a situation where GRUB ignored a drive simply because no partition on it had a boot flag set - even though GRUB doesn't use the boot flag! I concluded that the BIOS was skipping the drive because it didn't appear to be bootable.

Maybe the same thing is happening with your sda. Try putting a little dummy partition on it and flagging it bootable. Does (hd1,0) now work as expected?

Then take the boot flag off.

I am not going to try this any time soon. I am very worried now that if I create partitions/format that disk Windows will start to recognise it, get upset and not boot (or worse still says it is a pirate copy because the hardware configuration is different). I know I am being very pessimistic but I don't want to lose anything. I would like to swap the connections on the disks so that they are connected properly but lethargy and confidence prevents me at the moment!
ICPUG

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012, 07:53    Post_subject: Re: Booting  

ETP wrote:
ICPUG,

This may be a red herring, but looking at your last post did you actually use:

PMEDIA= or pmedia=

Similarly did you use:

PDEV1= or pdev1=

If the former in both cases, puppy may have simply ignored those boot codes, relied on its own search algorithms and come to the right or wrong conclusion itself. If puppy does not recognise a boot code it simply ignores it and AFAIK the case matters.

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree and you were just emphasizing those codes.

Just to clarify ETP, I did use those codes like that but they are not the problem.

Case matters in Linux/Puppy BUT these boot codes are acted upon in a script, called init, that Barry wrote. It is how Barry's init interprets the codes that is important. I think it was around series 2 Puppy that these codes had to be in upper case but with the advent of Puppy 3 Barry added some code to convert the codes if they were in the wrong case. They can now be input in either lower case or upper case. I'm just a stick in the mud who persists with what what I have always used from day 1! If it aint broke - don't fix it!
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012, 08:21    Post_subject:  

I'm using the new beta now and I must say I'm impressed; it looks like it's shaping up to be a great release. Thanks and well done for your work so far.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012, 22:27    Post_subject: Slacko - beta [5.4]
Sub_title: slacko 5360 on intel imac

Running from live dvd on intel imac.

Report Video 1.4 - Fri 12 Oct 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.3.6.0 - Linux 3.2.30-4g i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
Version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

# glxgears
24530 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4905.869 FPS
24945 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4988.933 FPS
24957 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4991.231 FPS

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3095MB (277MB used)

Using a usb sound card.
Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

More setup to do yet but it's working great! Smile

EDIT:Setup finished, still working great.
EDIT2:The built-in webcam works too.
screenshot3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   156.06 KB
 Viewed   1231 Time(s)

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   221.14 KB
 Viewed   1351 Time(s)

screenshot2.jpg

Edited_times_total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 00:35    Post_subject: arecord display issue + ffmpeg not recognising copy decoder  

I like this distribution - it is looking good. A few issues though - the second affecting both pAVrecord and precord. The most important issue first, ffmpeg not recognising 'copy' codec:

1. The provided ffmpeg seems to be broken in that it does not seem to recognise the option -codec copy (the provided ffmpeg reports: unknown decoder 'copy'). pAVrecord http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81332 uses that option to mix audio and video streams without re-encoding. pAVrecord was developed on Slacko-5.3.3 where it all works fine. pAVrecord also works fine in the latest Puppy Precise 5.3.95.1 beta (for the encoders provided there - though the ffmpeg in Precise doesn't unfortunately have libfaac, libxvid, or libx264 enabled).

2. Using arecord to get a simple audio VU meter, isn't displaying correctly. Works in all other puppies including the latest Puppy Precise development. The code used for that simple VU meter in precord (and also in pavrecord):
Code:

arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null

3. Video container type ogv (recommended since 2007 as the extension name for container holding Theora encoded video + vorbis sound) isn't recognised by the default media player. A mime type issue I guess.

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 16:22    Post_subject:  

Hello mcewanw

Quote:
The provided ffmpeg seems to be broken in that it does not seem to recognise the option -codec copy

As far as I know, that is not a compile time option. It does seem however that in this version (0.11.1) that the developers have changed the behaviour. A quick search reveals many instances of your concern. You may need a work-around. ffmpeg -h doesn't even fit in a terminal window and has to be redirected to a file, over 1500 lines!

Quote:
arecord -vvv /dev/null 2>/dev/null

We are shipping with alsa-1.0.26 and again, the developers have changed stuff. From the help:
Code:
-v, --verbose           show PCM structure and setup (accumulative)
-V, --vumeter=TYPE      enable VU meter (TYPE: mono or stereo)

Quote:
Video container type ogv (recommended since 2007 as the extension name for container holding Theora encoded video + vorbis sound) isn't recognised by the default media player. A mime type issue I guess.

Yes. I can fix that one. Smile

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 17:09    Post_subject:  

01micko wrote:
It does seem however that in this version (0.11.1) that the developers have changed the [ffmpeg] behaviour.
We are shipping with alsa-1.0.26 and again, the developers have changed stuff.

I'll look into that. The alsa change seems trivial.

I hope and presume the change with respect to ffmpeg decoder 'copy' is equally easy to address. I'm surprised that backwards compatibility hasn't been assured by the ffmpeg developers though since the copy option has long been used. Constant changes in usage makes ffmpeg a challenging customer!

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 19:45    Post_subject:  

@01micko:

The ffmpeg error turned out to be trivial. Newer ffmpegs require the copy options just before the output. I'll publish fixed pAVrecord later today.

Frustratingly, the alsa VU meter problem has not turned out to be quite so trivial, but I'm working on that and may settle to use the -VU option as a compromise (I prefer the output of the existing method).

01micko

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 20:06    Post_subject:  

mcewanw wrote:
The ffmpeg error turned out to be trivial. Newer ffmpegs require the copy options just before the output. I'll publish fixed pAVrecord later today.

Frustratingly, the alsa VU meter problem has not turned out to be quite so trivial, but I'm working on that and may settle to use the -VU option as a compromise (I prefer the output of the existing method).

Quite the opposite of your first thought! When you get it sorted I will test. At the moment the only alternative for webcam recording is guvcview, which I have compiled and does work but is large and requires large depends, gtk+3 and portaudio spring to mind (and a few others).

Thanks

EDIT:

What exactly is the problem with ogg video? I have a file for testing that has .ogv extension and it plays in gnome-mplayer, produced with ffmpeg-0.8.4.
Code:
# file test3.ogv
test3.ogv: Ogg data, Theora video

IIRC, this was an issue in 533. Could you have been mistaken with versions?

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct 2012, 22:28    Post_subject:  

Sorry, I was testing in various versions. You are correct, ogv files are opening fine in Slacko 5.4 beta - I just checked with the new pAVrecord I'm just building. I'll have to check later which version was giving the problem (assuming I wasn't imagining it...).
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 01:46    Post_subject:  

Hello everybody,

I have just done a reasonable upload so it's time to test the repo.

YOU MUST copy the attached file to $HOME/.packages
Code:
gunzip Packages-puppy-slacko-official.gz
cp -af Packages-puppy-slacko-official $HOME/.packages

You may find if you have just been installing packages you need to reboot to clear /tmp (or if you know what to delete from /tmp do it manually).

Some packages include scribus and python (many thanks to Jejy69 and a few other packages), umplayer patched, vlc, guvcview, inkscape and more.

Please report if dependencies fail to download.

DO NOT (as yet) attempt to update the Slacko repo from PPM, I am working on the solution as to not break compatibility with slacko-5.3.3 and earlier (mentioned a few times).

Some packages are the old 5.3.3 ones but they should work. Let me know if anything fails due to "symbol lookup error" or similar.

I haven't uploaded chromium or iron yet. Soon. I have to tweak packages as the next version will not include seamonkey-solibs, a dep of chromium based browsers. I also refuse to package with deps as this potentially breaks other stuff.

Have fun.. (also stay tuned for an updated beta, within 24hrs.. yeah we all know I'll be late!)
Packages-puppy-slacko-official.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  Packages-puppy-slacko-official.gz 
Filesize  13.5 KB 
Downloaded  345 Time(s) 

sszindian

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:32    Post_subject: mtpaint  

mtpaint:

.jpg's seem to load OK direct from mtpaint but...

when you try to load a .jpg from 'from a file-folder' with the right-click and load with function you get...

>>>---Indian------>
capture18811.png
 Description   
 Filesize   10.64 KB
 Viewed   840 Time(s)

capture18811.png

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 23 of 49 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum