Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
linuph

#1201 Post by linuph »

See my edit...

ETP

Dpup Expimo 5.X.3.4.11

#1202 Post by ETP »

Hi pemasu,

Can you please explain the current function of the startup service
rc.windows which appears in BootManager. It is enabled by default and seems like a relic.
Attachments
image-4.png
(117.73 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gcmartin

#1203 Post by gcmartin »

pemasu wrote: ... I have to create bugfix release soon....[/url]
MIght this be released as a Exprimo 5X...11.1 or 5X...12 for us LIve media users?

Thanks for any consideration.

mikeslr

Ati-Radeon problems -SOLVED

#1204 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & all,

If I recall correctly, changing modset was necessary to obtain any display at all. But I guess xvesa may have sufficiently improved to now recognize screen resuloutions of 1600x900. System-info does not indicate that I'm using an ati-radeon driver.

Installed pet a couple of posts back, rebooted and typed "aticonfig --initial" in terminal which generated the report "aticonfig: No supported adapter[s detected.

AMD catalyst control center and AMD catalyst control center (Administrator) on desktop menue did nothing.

Will await further developments.

Edit: per pm from pemasu, I installed amd_fglrx-catalyst-12.6-k3.4.2-dpup.pet from repo. Problem solved.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1205 Post by pemasu »

ETP. Not a relic. It is used with Desktop > Windows fonts app. You can enable Windows OS fonts from their location with it.
Editing the script /etc/WINDOWS, you can add or remove the symlinked fonts in use.
It is for me to use Arial font when I write with Libre Office.

I do have Win 7 still and I utilize the fonts in it without increasing the size of the base dpup build with extra fonts.

So....it is not relic. Still useful.

pemasu

#1206 Post by pemasu »

mikeslr. Sorry, you have to compile ati for your graphics yourself.
The latest versions seems to compile without extra patching.

Or...on the second thought. If you check from ati amd pages the right package...I can provide the pet. I seem to find the knack how to package ati-amd-catalyst compiles easily. I just need to know the right package. They seem to separate the dual graphics laptop drivers nowadays and those are not compatible with all the other ati graphics.
MIght this be released as a Exprimo 5X...11.1 or 5X...12 for us LIve media users?
It will be released. I dont get the point.

puppyluvr

#1207 Post by puppyluvr »

:D
Quote:
It will be released. I dont get the point.
LOL..Think "puppy pfix=ram"

Pemasu,
This is still my daily OS, and I am (attempting) to build ArchPup on it thru woof..
Solid and stable, for weeks. 8)
The only bug for me so far:
Videos wont full screen beyond the laptop screen for the 55" monitor, except manually..
Big deal.. LOL...
It`s nice when I find a Pup so comfortable, I boot to it, instead of my own.. 8)
You are really good, and very attentive to detail..
Reminds me of Tazoc, and the Lighthouse stuff.. (From me, very high praise indeed!)
(BTW, the older Lighthouse stuff has a bunch of great scripting in it, from little alterations to full blown rewrites, which are incredibly useful..)
Anyhow, anything testing wise I can do to help, I`m here...
Attached is a full "hardinfo" report, if it is usefull..
Attachments
hardinfodpupxprimoCQ56.tar.gz
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 575 times
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

linuph

#1208 Post by linuph »

Using Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.11.

Problems with GNOME MPlayer.

I find many problems with GNOME MPlayer. They also exist in 5.X.3.4.10 so they were inherited.
As an alternative, I have installed 01micko's umplayer-0.97-patched-1337-i686.pet. No problems with it, so far.

Below some of the problems I have discovered with GNOME MPlayer.

Cannot select a video file from file menu
Menu-->Multimedia-->GNOME-MPlayer-->File-->Open Folder-->sdc1 (left most column called "Places"). Movie filenames are grayed out. There's also MOVIES (sdc1) in the "Places" column, but it cannot be selected.
When sr0 is selected, the directories on the DVD are shown (AUDIO-TS and VIDEO-TS) the underlaying files of VIDEO-TS (e.g. VTS_01_1.VOB) are grayed out. "THE MOVIE (sr0)" in the "Places" column cannot be selected either.
When sr0 was selected: : click "Open" and all greyed out files are added to the playlist and a lot more, whether they are playable files or not. They also end up in "Recently used" and "Open Recent", where I also find other, unrelated stuff, like scripts I have been playing with yesterday.
When sdc1 was selected: click "Open" and the same happens as with sr0, but this time GNOME MPlayer quits without further ado.

Change in view size doesn't work
A change in view size shows a orphan picture in the background. See the attached pictures "normal.png" and "fullscreen.png". What seems to happen is that a second instance of Mplayer is started: when the fullscreen window is closed ("x" top right) a window of the original size appears and the DVD starts playing from the beginning.
What's more, the video is not enlarged, only the window it's playing in.

Change in video source doesn't work as it should
GNOME-MPlayer-->File-->Disk-->Open DVD with Menus. DVD plays. Then pause or stop the DVD (click "II" or square in the lower left corner). Then choose File-->TV-->Open Analog TV (a webcam). The DVD starts playing again in stead of showing the webcam. Only after closing the DVD window ("x" top right) the webcam window shows up.

I do not intend to dive into GNOME MPlayer further since UMplayer works fine for me.
Attachments
fullscreen.png
(126.11 KiB) Downloaded 621 times

pemasu

#1209 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Linuph. It seems the gnome-mplayer does not handle dvdnavigation and that is due to that I disabled external dvdnav from my mplayer compile. I thought that internal-dvdnav is enough. It isnt. Gnome-mplayer relies on external dvdnav libraries.

So...I recompiled mplayer with --enable-dvdnav and --enable-dvdread......and now gnome-mplayer opens dvd movie.

Of course Smplayer and Umplayer handles them better. Dvd has always been the achilles heel with gnome-mplayer.

About Open folder. I think it is used to add files to the playlist, not to open them for playing. File > Open is the way to open files for playing.

About different outputs with different graphics. Gnome-mplayer...as Smplayer and Umplayer also needs Prefences tuning so that you get the desired video output. I am not master with video output tuning. But if you have suggestions...I am all eyes...
Linuph. you could try to change the video output from xv to x11 for example. And edit /etc/mplayer.conf: #zoom=yes to zoom=yes so that software scaling has been enabled. Might help.
But yeah. Smplayer, Umplayer and VLC are bit oob better....

And thank you Linuph of your feedback. Now I have more than one reason to release bug fix release and I found the problem quickly by your bug report. Thanks.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 13 Oct 2012, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1210 Post by pemasu »

Now is good time to post ati amd graphics catalyst version suggestions based on ati amd version analyses.
I could compile the needed ati-amd-catalyst pets so that they are in exprimo database straight for next release.

The reason. Catalyst packages differ nowadays. I have noticed. They separate at least dual graphichs notebook drivers to different version.

I dont know what package is good for desktop graphics now.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

vicmz

#1211 Post by vicmz »

Added Dpup Exprimo to the list of derivatives that can be set to Spanish, see first link in my signature (in Spanish). It has a note stating that it is made for newer hardware and advising users who have old hardware to use Wary instead, please let me know if you disagree about this. As Dpup is somewhat different from regular Puppy Linux, some new translations will be added to the next version of langpack_es (the Spanish language pack). For those who don't know, every version of Puppy made from the latest Woof2 is within the internationalisation system implemented by Barry Kauler, this means you are going to have many new users and testers in the languages available at the moment (Spanish, French, Russian, German, Polish), as well as in other languages that may be added in the future.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

davids45

ATI AMD Drivers

#1212 Post by davids45 »

G'day pemasu,
I have a Frugal-black-screen problem on Exprimo shut-down with my radeon HD-5450 graphics card.
The .pet I install to fix the shut-down loss of graphics with Exprimo5x3411 is amd_fglrx-12.8-x86_precise_3.2.28.pet.
Is it possible to change to order of shutting down so the prompt/program for creating the Save file comes before the loss of graphics? Racy & slacko do it this way with Frugal Pups.
David S.

pemasu

#1213 Post by pemasu »

davids45.
Is it possible to change to order of shutting down so the prompt/program for creating the Save file comes before the loss of graphics? Racy & slacko do it this way with Frugal Pups.
Done. wmpoweroff and wmreboot has been updated using woof versions. I have to edit them slightly for enlightenment support. That is why they were not in sync with woof. Thanks. It will be in next bug fix release.

And why dont you use dpup version.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... 2-dpup.pet

anikin

fan control

#1214 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu,
I can't get fan control working on my eeepc1000. There's no entry for fan in proc/acpi, although when I click on the temp icon it says "eeepc-isa-0000, fan1:1050 rpm." Tried loading/unloading modules, like eeepc_laptop or anything that looks Asus or acpi related, various boot options: acpi_os=Linux, Windows XP, !Windows 2009 - no joy. The fan is uncontrollable - it runs and never stops.

edited to include this:

Code: Select all

=select all
# modprobe fan
# modprobe eeepc_laptop

# lsmod | grep fan
fan                     1714  0 
thermal_sys             9630  4 fan,video,thermal,processor

# lsmod | grep eeepc_laptop
eeepc_laptop           10699  0 
sparse_keymap           2000  1 eeepc_laptop
hwmon                    873  4 coretemp,asus_atk0110,eeepc_laptop,thermal_sys
rfkill                 10169  3 cfg80211,eeepc_laptop

# lsmod | grep acpi
acpi_cpufreq            4321  0 
mperf                    843  1 acpi_cpufreq
processor              22760  1 acpi_cpufreq 

pemasu

#1215 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. I believe that you will need eeepc fan control stuff for manually or automatically control fan speed. Tempicon shows the fan speed. Thats good but it does not mean that you can change the speed.

I believe you would need eee.ko kernel module and also separate scripts to utilize the fan speed control. I havent ever compiled eee.ko module and I have no experience about it. There is/was eee spesific puppy previously, I suppose there is still some documentatin how to control fan speed with asus eee netbooks in murga-forum.
Atm...I am not familiar how to create all this as working framework.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34886

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 1901c3080e

edoc

#1216 Post by edoc »

Jemimah is now developing Saluki - she was the developer of the Pupeee-series and is very adept with drivers, etc for them.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

anikin

#1217 Post by anikin »

pemasu wrote:I believe you would need eee.ko kernel module
That's exactly what the system complains is missing. As a matter of fact I also have Jemimah's puppeee installed on this machine and it runs beautifully, but as you know it's a bit outdated, unsupported and orphaned. And I've read that thread among many others before posting here and have also seen some generic solutions while researching the issue, but they all require knowledge, which is severely lacking here. Anyway, thank you very much for your great work and patience.

rcrsn51

#1218 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the eee.ko module for 5.X.3.4.11. It took some hacks to make it build in this new kernel, so I can't guarantee that it works.

There are instructions here.
Attachments
eee_fan_CPU_k3.4.2-0.2.pet
(4.16 KiB) Downloaded 601 times

pemasu

#1219 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Expimo 5.X.3.4.12 has been uploaded. It is mainly bug fix release.

Updates. Firefox-16.01 due to critical vulnerabilities in 16.0. Mplayer recompiled with external dvdnav and dvdread. PupMenu and PupSnap updated to the latest. Pavrecord and Precord updated to the latest.

Ati-Amd-Catalyst 12.6 and 12.8 uploaded to the repo and added to the PPM exprimo database.

Savefile creation at first shutdown happens now in X, wmpoweroff and wmreboot has been synced with the woof.

And. Thanks rcrsn51 for the eee.ko module. Anikin can now test it. Kernel is the same in 5.X.3.4.12 ie 3.4.2.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... imo5X3412/
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

ETP

#1220 Post by ETP »

pemasu wrote:Dpup Expimo 5.X.3.4.12 has been uploaded. It is mainly bug fix release.
Please note that the link in the above post should be:

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... imo5X3412/
ETP. Not a relic. It is used with Desktop > Windows fonts app. You can enable Windows OS fonts from their location with it.
Editing the script /etc/WINDOWS, you can add or remove the symlinked fonts in use.
It is for me to use Arial font when I write with Libre Office.
Thanks for your explanation of its use for fonts which is very handy. I am however still
troubled about the rest of the script which in certain circumstances appears to attempt to make use of
the windows swap file. My knowledge of bash is limited but I thought that Puppy these days could only use a linux swap partition if it determined that one existed. Can you please explain?
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]