Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1221 Post by pemasu »

ETP. /etc/init.d/rc.windows does not try to use windows swap file. But /usr/sbin/winfonts works in conjunction with that system script....and that winfonts script will be launched from the menu > Windows fonts.
It has that probing part. I havent ever tried to use windows swap so I dont know anything about usability of it. I have used only the windows fonts part. It could be possible to strip the windows swap part out of the script. I keep that in mind. It is not my script as you have noticed. I have just noticed it is handy with preinstalled fonts. But about that swap part I dont have experience. Better swap experts need to give you explanation. Sorry.

Billtoo

#1222 Post by Billtoo »

Running from live dvd with a savefile.

Report Video 1.4 - Sun 14 Oct 2012 on Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 -
Linux 3.4.2-dpup i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Display
Resolution 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3095MB (300MB used)

USB Devices
BRCM2046 Hub
Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro
USB2.0 Hub
Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter - linksys rt73
DRX-820U
Built-in iSight

I'm using a usb sound card, the built-in webcam is working with
guvcview.
I tried installing audacious in ppm but got a broken link no matter
which server that I chose to download from.
Attachments
ppmscrn.jpg
(82.13 KiB) Downloaded 857 times

pemasu

#1223 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. Thank you of the feedback. I have removed the audacious pet. it was combination pet with ffmpeg and It is outdated nowadays. It would have broken the multimedia framework. I have removed it now also from the exprimo database file. Thanks. Yeah, audacious would be good to have, but I am afraid I wont compile it.
It is still there as sfs. Maybe I should remove it also. It is also outdated.

But...you probably meant audacious deb. There seems to be 2 versions, one from main and one from backports which is newer. Backports should download using ftp.debian-backports download choice.

Did you use amd_fglrx_catalyst-12.6-k3.4.2-dpup.pet for fglrx or did you compile it yourself. Anyway...nice to see that fglrx works for you. :D

anikin

#1224 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is the eee.ko module for 5.X.3.4.11. It took some hacks to make it build in this new kernel, so I can't guarantee that it works.
Hi rcrsn51,
Thank you very much for your help, it is really appreciated! The module does work as I am testing it now. I can manually stop the fan, assign speeds, default was 45 - too noisy, 30 makes it tolerable, 25 barely audible and perhaps impractical in terms of airflow. I also installed Dougal's gui but it seems to be incompatible with this puppy.

rcrsn51

#1225 Post by rcrsn51 »

Glad to help.
anikin wrote:I also installed Dougal's gui but it seems to be incompatible with this puppy.
Where did you find this?

Billtoo

#1226 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote: Did you use amd_fglrx_catalyst-12.6-k3.4.2-dpup.pet for fglrx or did you compile it yourself. Anyway...nice to see that fglrx works for you. :D
I used your 12.6 pet, the card in this pc is in the legacy section already.
google earth and openarena work okay with it.

I couldn't download anything in ppm, I tried kdegames and get the same errors, actually I got the errors with kdegames in the last exprimo but I didn't report it..maybe I'm not using ppm correctly?

vicmz

#1227 Post by vicmz »

Hi everyone!
Dpup runs a little bit faster than regular Puppy, even with UTF-8 turned on. :lol:
I only found that videos look yellowish, but it must be because of my computer specs (I know nothing about video cards and the like). Oh yes, I had to downgrade to Gnome MPlayer 1.0.2 so that videos don't get cropped when the player window is resized, it happens to me with other Puppies, too. And changing to another window manager fails to me, X is restarted but it won't get to the graphic mode, however I can return by typing " xwin jwm ". Again, maybe it's my computer, a Pentium 4 with 1GB RAM and 2.6Ghz celeron processor. I attach sysinfo report, for anyone interested. If that is important, the Puppy that works best on my computer is latest Wary (although my computer isn't either real old or real new).
Attachments
sys-info-121014.gz
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 551 times

mikeslr

5x3,4.12 running fine>amd-flgrx driver required reboot

#1228 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & all;
My specs: Quad-core with Ati-Radeon 3100 graphics.
Manual frugal install. Set time-zone & used frisbee to connect to wireless adapter. No problem. Before creating SaveFile, used PPM to install amd_flgrx_catalyst-12.6-k.3.4.2-dpup.pet. Read pop-instructions. Logged out. Remembered 1st & third, but may have mistyped 2nd, so typing third reported "invalid instructions" or words to that effect. Typing "aticonfig --help" did not list "aticonfig --initial" as permitted. I should have written all instructions on a notepad before logging out. Logged back in successfully and chose to reboot creating a SaveFile. Rebooted w/o a problem. Logged out and typed "aticonfig --initial" which worked. Logging back in [xwin] resulted in correct resolution and Menu>System>System Status and Config>Report Video Graphics Information revealed fglrx driver was being used.

Great job again, Pemasu. I'll explore some more tomorrow.

By the way, does anyone know if any version of umplayer functions under Exprimo. I think it requires Qt, so I don't know if its inclusion would cost or save space. But as it includes Shoutcast Radio, and the equivalent (or module of) gtk-youtube-viewer, as well as possibly replacing gnome, it provides a nice one-stop vehicle for most multimedia needs.
I know there's a dpup version, but I'm not sure if or which version of qt would be required in Exprimo.

Edit: See pemasu response next post. Worked great. Thanks again, pemasu.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1229 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. Great news. And big hand to rcrsn51 for compiling and patching the eee.ko module. I could include it to the build in next release.

Billtoo. There is something wrong with your PPM. First thing which comes to my mind is that you use savefile from older version. Those repos download just fine for me. I have changed the repo database specs a little so older savefile could brake PPM, maybe. Or it something else which I dont understand.

Vicmz. Good to hear your report about gnome-mplayer. I am a bit loss what I could do with it. Other than downgrade it, lol.

Mikeslr. Good to hear your report about working catalyst-fglrx driver. About Umplayer. Use PPM and exprimo repo. Choose umplayer-0.9.7-dpup > click examine dependencies > download umplayer and corresponding qt-4.8.0 package > enjoy.

pemasu

#1230 Post by pemasu »

mcewanw has fixed the pAVrecord in version 0.8.8. The combining of the video and audio had problems with ffmpeg 0.11.1 which I have through git.
The newest version combines audio and video right and produces the combined AV-file. Tested with mine inbuild microphone in laptop.
I used x11grab option to record my desktop with my not so nice voice. Lol.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 388#658388
Attachments
pavrecord-0.8.8.pet
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 572 times

Billtoo

#1231 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a flash drive.
Running on an acer laptop.

I installed the 12.8 ati pet from ppm, did aticonfig --initial in the
terminal and rebooted.
Report video said the fglrx driver was installed.
I installed xorghi from ppm and restarted x, then used sfs load on the
fly to install a google earth sfs,google earth wouldn't run.
I installed the kernel source and devx and compiled
amd-driver-installer-8.982-x86.x86_64.run, did aticonfig --initial and
rebooted.
Google earth works now.
On my imac I had installed both the 12.6 pet in ppm and compiled the
amd driver as well, so the 12.6 pet may not work either.

I'm still having a problem with ppm, kdegames won't download,
neverputt downloaded but wouldn't run.

Wireless connection isn't persistent boot to boot on this laptop, I
used the network wizard to set up the connection.

Network controller Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter

Report-video now shows:

Report Video 1.4 - Mon 15 Oct 2012 on Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 - Linux 3.4.2-dpup i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver used: fglrx

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

# glxgears
28054 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5610.702 FPS
28006 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5601.071 FPS
28509 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5701.667 FPS

Hardinfo:
OpenGL
Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Version 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

pemasu

#1232 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. If you launch PPM from console: ppm and then try to download stuff which does not download. For example test that audacious from backports and then use ftp.debian-backports as download choice, do you get any errors in console. Since...it works for me, so I am clueless why it does not work for you...else there is something in your side which blocks the usage of that download address.

anikin

#1233 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51 wrote:Where did you find this?
Found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34886
script + gui - failed to make them work, though.

rcrsn51

#1234 Post by rcrsn51 »

anikin wrote:script + gui - failed to make them work, though.
Look here. This may be useful instead.

rcrsn51

#1235 Post by rcrsn51 »

I ran Gparted on a 32GB flash drive. It reported the space as "unallocated" with a large negative size. This is the only Puppy I have found that mis-identifies the drive.

backi

#1236 Post by backi »

I am not quite sure if this is a bit off topic .

But seems very important . Make it viral .

http://cyberwarzone.com/cyberwarfare/ne ... code-tyler

anikin

#1237 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51 wrote:Look here. This may be useful instead.
That has turned out to be really useful. Now, I can tell you for sure it works like a charm! And there's also an added bonus there. That thread makes a good educational reading. Thank you again, rcrsn51 for your help, hopefully others will also benefit from it.
pemasu wrote:I could include it to the build in next release.
pemasu wrote:Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.6.2.1 with 3.6.2 kernel has been released.
On this one the GUI installed without a hitch, but the 'eee.ko module for 5.X.3.4.11' refuses to install. It would be nice to have it included in the 3.6.2 build.

pemasu

#1238 Post by pemasu »

It would be nice to have it included in the 3.6.2 build.
Anikin. Heh. I would need the patched source for eee.ko module.

rcrsn51 is the patched source owner. I could compile it if I get my hands on source. :D

But....3.4.2 will be the main distro still.....3.6.2 version is in experimental stage atm....

anikin

#1239 Post by anikin »

pemasu wrote:
It would be nice to have it included in the 3.6.2 build.
Anikin. Heh. I would need the patched source for eee.ko module.

rcrsn51 is the patched source owner. I could compile it if I get my hands on source. :D

But....3.4.2 will be the main distro still.....3.6.2 version is in experimental stage atm....
Which means a petition campaign should be started: 1) to get the source, 2) have it included in both builds.

rcrsn51

#1240 Post by rcrsn51 »

anikin wrote:Which means a petition campaign should be started: 1) to get the source, 2) have it included in both builds.
It's on my to-do list. But I'm currently working on something else for 5.X.3.4.12. This is the first Puppy I have seen that supports USB-over-IP.

Which means you can have a REALLY SMALL file and print sharing app. :wink: