Puppy Linux 412.1 Beta 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bark_bark_bark

Puppy Linux 412.1 Beta 1

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Puppy Linux 412.1 Downloads and Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downloads:

Not released yet
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information Center:

This was built using the:
-woofy remaster tool
-Puppy 412 (ISO)

Thank yous:
-To sc0ttman for creating Woofy
-To BK for creating Puppy 412
Last edited by bark_bark_bark on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.

Tote

#2 Post by Tote »

Processor Intel(R)Celeron(R)M processor
Memory 239MB (86MBused)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.41
Date/Time Sun 14 Oct 2012
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.3.0
Kernel Linux 2.6.25.16(i686)
C Library GNUC Library version 2.6.1(stable)
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.41
Desktop Environment Unknown(Window Manager.JWM)

Manual frugal install. I couldn't use Xorg, had to force shutdown and reboot, Vesa worked okay.

Found wireless, connected to internet okay.

Nice, small OS, the kind I like, :D looking forward to following developments.

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Thank you for trying it out :o . I'm jealous that you got wireless to work :x .

EDIT: Did anyone try to install any GTK/JWM/Icon Themes yet?

Tote

#4 Post by Tote »

I tried to install Seamonkey, early version, from puppy package manager, knew there were going to be problems when the splash screen said; checking dependencies, please wait... for five minutes... Had a whole page of missing dependencies, too many to even think about for me I'm afraid.

Netsurf installed and worked.

Installed firewall state icon; no go.

Can't change the backgrounds, the folder is there, but I don't see any way to select a different background.

I didn't get around to trying JWM

(Sorry it's almost all bad news.)

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Tote wrote:I tried to install Seamonkey, early version, from puppy package manager, knew there were going to be problems when the splash screen said; checking dependencies, please wait... for five minutes... Had a whole page of missing dependencies, too many to even think about for me I'm afraid.
:shock:
Tote wrote:Netsurf installed and worked.
:D
Tote wrote:Can't change the backgrounds, the folder is there, but I don't see any way to select a different background.
That is a bug in the Puppy 412 Barebones, hopefully it can be fixed.

bark_bark_bark

#6 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Bad News: because there are SO MANY missing libraries, I decided to use the official Puppy 412 for Beta 1.1

Good News: I will hopefully get Beta 1.1 out a bit quicker, and again no extra themes will be included.

mjaksen

Why's everybody always pickin' on Rox

#7 Post by mjaksen »

I'm always amazed at the number of people who dislike ROX and want to replace it, whether with Thunar or some other file manager. ROX certainly has some issues. It's slow to read populated directories and it's not very pretty.

But in ROX's defense, it is the absolute easiest file manager I've ever worked with for day-to-day work. Case in point, by using CustomMenu, OpenWith and RunAction (from the Right-click menu), you can pretty much avoid all use of the Puppy Menu. You can define new file types in /usr/share/MIME/globs and then restart X and define the apps you want to use on those file types. It's uncannily effective.

This plus hot-key access to those apps that you might want to run directly (geany, notecase, rxvt, connect, seamonkey) and using Puppy is fast and painless... unlike with other Window Managers, OS's etc. At this moment, I've got 7 Rox windows tiles on the screen allowing me to save webpages and sort them into various directires as needed. In a different context, I open tile several Rox windows and put a small yad-based script between them to create a visual workflow as I process files from start to finished.

Again, not pretty, but fast, easy and amazingly productive. In fact, if you're willing to work purely from Hot-keys, you could remove the ROX toolbar and have a remarkably compact workflow setup.

Also, how does running OpenBox, opconf, tint, wbar etc actually improve things over jwm/ROX that does all of that at 22MB?

aragon

#8 Post by aragon »

The creator of barebones should be wolf pup:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36727

Regarding missing libs: sure it's a barebone-version ;-)

Aragon

bark_bark_bark

#9 Post by bark_bark_bark »

CorePup is now Puppy Linux 412.1